Home Sports Talk
Options

Plaxico Burress shoots himself in the leg.

softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
He really out did himself this time. Not a bad guy but aloof as all get out. Amazing how important he was to the Giants offense last year and this year has been a shadow. I hope he is alright. What a IDIOT he is to be in a club with a gun.

New York Giants receiver Plaxico Burress suffered an accidental gunshot wound Friday night in a club, according to multiple sources.

Details of the incident weren't immediately available, but according to a source the wound was not considered life-threatening.

Fox Sports.com reported that Burress accidentally shot himself in the leg and spent the night in the hospital.

Burress, who was not expected to play against the Washington Redskins on Sunday with a hamstring injury, was not at team meetings and did not attend the team's Saturday walkthrough.

The Giants organization was not commenting on the story.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First off Im glad he is OK, secondly he is an idiot.
  • Options
    LMAO. This has to be a joke.
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i> LMAO. This has to be a joke. >>

No its not. It's been on the news and is on espn.com as well.
  • Options
    Wow what an idiot. Ya think this would ever happen to Eli, Favre, Manning? Was Pacman there?
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Wow what an idiot. Ya think this would ever happen to Eli, Favre, Manning? Was Pacman there? >>

Very true! You would think with the type of money Burress makes, he could hire a couple of personal body guards who carry guns. Just another case of a pro athelete putting himself in a bad or dangerous situation. I hope Burress is charged with carry a concealed weapon and whatever charges can be brought against him. Lastly, I hope he does make a speedy recovery and that the NFL looks into the matter.
  • Options
    Plax was SO important to the Giants offense last year. This year he has been a ghost. I am sick of his behavior. The Giants don't need this kind of player. Get rid of him and spend all that money elsewhere.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    many states have laws prohibiting carry of firearms in businesses that derive significant portions of their income from the sale of alcohol (even if licensed to carry). I wonder what the details are in this case.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Giants go 0-5 the rest of the season and lose in the first round of the playoffs.

You heard it here first.

JS
  • Options

<< <i>Giants go 0-5 the rest of the season and lose in the first round of the playoffs.

You heard it here first.

JS >>

Absolutely the ONLY time I will EVER hope that Lil' Kevie is right!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Giants go 0-5 the rest of the season and lose in the first round of the playoffs.

You heard it here first.

JS >>

Absolutely the ONLY time I will EVER hope that Lil' Kevie is right! >>

meh, if the Giants running attack is healthy in January Plax will be a distant memory image

• Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ship him off to the "Pies. He'll fit right in.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He was quoted as saying "HOW YOU LIKE ME NOW FOOL?, HOW YOU LIKE ME NOW???" after capping himself. Nobody, I repeat nobody (including Plaxico), disrespects PlaxMan. image

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When will these "sports stars" learn that if there is a nightclub whereby you feel you need to carry a handgun to go there, then you likely shouldn't go there.

And without even reading the story, I know exactly what happened, and it can happen to those who are ignorant about firearms safety
  • Options
    Guns in nite clubs are A major No No...
    Obviously his clique does not agree

Being a Pro player in any sport does NOT mean u have common sense

Pretty Sad!!
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭
    thug.

just get a hooker for pete sakes instead of out trollin for a** with your 'piece.

John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    What a frickin idiot! image

Anything to give his hamstring injury a rest image
  • Options
    Please just forget that he went to Michigan State, ugh.
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Plax was SO important to the Giants offense last year. This year he has been a ghost. I am sick of his behavior. The Giants don't need this kind of player. Get rid of him and spend all that money elsewhere. >>

That's why Pittsburgh made ZERO effort to retain him a few years back...
  • Options
    NY Daily News ---

Super Bowl star Plaxico Burress accidentally shot himself inside a Manhattan nightclub early Saturday, the latest self-inflicted wound for the increasingly erratic Giants wideout.
    The bloody blunder came after oft-fined Burress and fellow Giant Antonio Pierce entered the Latin Quarter nightclub in midtown about midnight.
    Burress, 31, was relaxing with his pals, a drink in one hand, when his loaded handgun started slipping down his pants, sources said.
    He tried to grab the weapon but fumbled it, causing it to go off. The bullet tore through Burress already injured right thigh, sources said.
    Pierce rushed over to his bleeding teammate and applied pressure to the wound as Burress screamed in pain, sources said.
    As he worked to slow the bleeding, Pierce berated Burress for bringing a loaded handgun into a club, police sources said.
    Burress, panicking over his future, told his teammates not to call 911 for an ambulance, sources said.
    He checked himself into New York-Presbyterian Hospital Weill Cornell about 2 a.m., police said. He was released from the hospital about 12:45 p.m.
    Burress could face illegal weapons charges, a crime that carries up to five years in prison, sources said.
    "He went for his gun and fumbled it. And now it will cost him," a police source said.
    The state of Florida issued him a concealed weapon permit that expired in May. Even if it had been renewed, it wouldn't be recognized by authorities in New York or New Jersey.
    Fullback Brandon Jacobs said Burress wasn't answering his phone. "I'm very concerned about him," he said. "I've been trying to call him, to see how he's doing."
    The Giants confirmed the shooting but declined to say much more.
    "This incident could become a matter for law enforcement officials," the Giants acknowledged.
    The Giants, after speaking with Burress, said they were relieved to hear Eli Manning's favorite target was out of the hospital.
    "Our primary concern is for Plaxico's health and well-being," the Giants statement said.
    Burress, who caught the Super Bowl-winning pass from Manning, was already expected to miss the Redskins game with a hamstring injury in the same leg where he was shot.
    The team was in contact with NFL security as the investigation continued. NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told The News it was too soon to determine if the shooting was a violation of the league's personal conduct policy.
    "That is premature," Aiello said. "We are working with the Giants to determine the facts."
    Police began combing the club for evidence just before 5 p.m. Saturday. About the same time, plainclothes officers from the NYPD and cops from Totowa approached the front door of Burress' mansion, but weren't immediately allowed in - even after ringing the bell five times.
    "We've been through a lot today," a woman said from inside the home.
    "Ma'am, we're talking to a box," one of the Totowa cops said, referring to the intercom system outside the house.
    Burress' high-profile agent, Drew Rosenhaus, did not return calls for comment on the shooting.
    Burress has become a season-long distraction, creating constant controversy with his disdain for punctuality, an on-field tirade at an official and problems at home.
    Through the first 12 weeks of the season, the recidivist receiver has been fined, suspended and benched. Between lost salary and fines, Burress was out more than $200,000 since September.
    The season's litany of troubles came after Burress earned a Super Bowl ring and financial security. His winning TD against the Patriots was followed seven months later by a new five-year, multimillion-dollar contract.
    Burress produced on the field despite his problems. He was the Giants' second-leading receiver this year, with 35 catches and four TDs.

• Options
    LMAO, and People think Moss is a jerk. Ya think he carries a loaded gun, kills dogs, etc...

Randy Ratio was a brilliant idea btw... I miss Tice image
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    Does anyone know the penalties for carrying a unlicensed weapon in NYC?
    I guarantee it's not just a fine
    He is facing jail time more than likely
    unless of course he has a attorney with major pull
    I'm a lifelong Giant fan but this guy has to GO
    & as someone who has been around guns my entire adult life
    I despise the morons who are careless with weapons
    The gun fell down his pants?
    Maybe he should have had a holster.
    guess he never thought of that
    & trying to catch a falling gun is
    like trying to catch a falling knife
    Don't
    NFL should make "safe gun handling" classes Mandatory for any player who has A gun
    Gun safety doesn't come naturally
    U actually need lessons from Professionals
    I would recommend such classes for everyone
    But Pro athletes need it the most
    seems the more they make
    the stupider they are
    God Help us All that we don't meet these cretins in our daily travels
    They might "accidentally" shoot one of us
    Also the press has been saying this was
    A "accidental" shooting
    No it wasn't
    It was a "Moronic" shooting
  • Options
    What a fool - he's lucky that he didn't accidently shoot a bystander.

Money can't buy common sense or Character.
    Collecting:
    Dallas Cowboys
    SuperBowl MVPs
    Heisman Trophy Winers
  • Options
    Just another coddled aflete, hope he loses his contract and or suspended and goes to jail. good bye good riddance.
  • Options
    Biggest tragedy was the shot only went through his leg, not his head. Now we'll have to listen to him and his lawyers spin how he is somehow the victem in all this...........
  • Options
    too bad he didnt shoot his balls off then at least he wouldnt be reproducing.
  • Options
    Plaxico will turn self in on criminal weapon charge
    by Jay Glazer
    Jay Glazer is a Senior NFL Writer for FOXSports.com on MSN and also appears every week on FOX NFL Sunday as the network's NFL Insider.

Updated: November 30, 2008, 3:20 PM EST 24 comments
    add this RSS blog email Print
    Police are still gathering information regarding the incident that left Giants Pro Bowl wide receiver Plaxico Burress with an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.

However, some details are coming to light.

ONE GIANT MESS
    ALTTEXT Get the latest on the condition and aftermath following Giants WR Plaxico Burress' self-inflicted gunshot wound.
    The latest:

* Glazer: Plax to turn self in to police
    * Vaccaro: Enough is enough
    * Giants' Pierce spoke to NFL security
    * Sources: Plax accidentally shoots self
    * Burress' troubled timeline

New York City law enforcement sources have told FOX Sports that they received word this morning that Burress has in fact agreed to turn himself in with attorneys by tomorrow — which was confirmed by an Associated Press report Sunday. The sources said the police searched areas of New York and New Jersey yesterday looking to locate Burress to question him regarding the shooting at Latin Quarters nightclub early Saturday morning.

Police had gone to his house, the hospital and staked out his car, which was left at the club as late as last night, hoping to question Burress and check out the gun that was used in the shooting. When police went to Burress' house yesterday and attempted to locate him, his wife, through an intercom, insisted he was not home and that she was not with the star wide receiver when the incident took place.

Reports also indicate that Burress had a Florida gun permit but that the permit expired in May. New York law prohibits the possession of a concealed weapon within New York even if one is licensed in an outside state. Mayor Michael Bloomberg in 2006 led the way to stiffen gun laws in New York City making it a mandatory 3½-year sentence for being busted for illegal possession of a firearm within the city.

Sunday Burress' lawyer told the Associated Press that he has been advised the Giants' receiver will be charged with criminal possession of a weapon.

Burress is not the only Giant who has been implicated by this unfortunate event. Team captain Antonio Pierce brought Burress to the hospital and tried to aid his injured teammate. There have been reports linking Pierce to possible obstruction of justice charges, but police sources contend that Pierce has been extremely cooperative and helpful and have even helped authorities with information to locate the gun. However, police still do not have the gun and may be waiting for Burress to turn it in.

NYPD also went to the club yesterday to view video surveillance video to make sure the story they were getting is the same story that actually unfolded.

Another angle that could arise, but at this point seems unlikely, is that while Burress could face gun charges there is also the possibility of a reckless endangerment charge, which carries a possible seven-year sentence. Luckily for Burress, sources say that at this point they likely won't pursue this route.

In addition to legal ramifications, the NFL has also acted swiftly in trying to gather information.

FOX Sports has also learned that the league office dispatched a senior security official to the Giants team hotel in Washington, D.C. last night to interview Pierce and other Giants players, plus other members of the Giants training staff and organization among others.

Even if Burress' charges are not as stiff as originally reported, the league can still discipline him independently of the law. Commissioner Roger Goodell has been very strict in dealing with off-field issues, and considering this is right in his own backyard he is forced to read about it and hear it every day.

The NFL also has a guns and weapons policy and states: "If you violate this policy on guns and other weapons, you are subject to discipline, including suspension from playing. And if you violate a public law covering weapons — for example, possession of an unlicensed firearm — you are not only to discipline, including suspension from playing, but also subject to criminal prosecution."

As for the Giants, sources say their initial reaction is to go after some of Burress' money in light of the fact that he was injured in a non-football injury incident.

Burress has had a history of disciplinary problems with the Giants, especially this year, that has seen him suspended one game, benched another and fined several other times. The league also looked into domestic disturbance questions that surrounded him in the past.

While the entire affair is unfortunate and sad, Burress got lucky that he only suffered a superficial wound. The bullet did not hit a bone nor an artery, which could have obviously turned this situation from sad to tragic.

• Options
    <<< New York City making it a mandatory 3½-year sentence for being busted for illegal possession of a firearm within the city >>>

Any lawyers here reading this? Does the word "sentence" automatically mean prison sentence or can the "sentence" be something such as 3 1/2 years of probation?
  • Options
    The "incident" certainly didn't affect the Giants winning today.
  • Options

<< <i>Biggest tragedy was the shot only went through his leg, not his head. . >>

yeah yeah yeah we ALL KNOW Plax is a fool. We AL KNOW his days in the NFL may be over.

BUT, comments like this are from fools themselves. Nice job making yourself look like a total a$$ image

• Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Giants go 0-5 the rest of the season

I'm sure your bookmaker is a very happy person.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Biggest tragedy was the shot only went through his leg, not his head. . >>

yeah yeah yeah we ALL KNOW Plax is a fool. We AL KNOW his days in the NFL may be over.

BUT, comments like this are from fools themselves. Nice job making yourself look like a total a$$ image >>

Agreed, and its the same type of thing as the other complete idiots who were saying it about Barry Bonds as well.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i><<< New York City making it a mandatory 3½-year sentence for being busted for illegal possession of a firearm within the city >>>

Any lawyers here reading this? Does the word "sentence" automatically mean prison sentence or can the "sentence" be something such as 3 1/2 years of probation? >>

time in jail/prison notwithstanding, the Commissioner will make the decision that will ultimately make or break any career that Burress may have left.
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    Plaxico Burress shoots himself in the leg.

i hate when that happnens,stupid people shouldnt carry gunsimage
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And we thought TO was stupid....

Maybe Burress fell asleep, and was dreaming he was dealt to the Yuks for journeyman J Garcia. Tried to end it all?

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Sentence means sentence, however a Judge could suspend such a sentence if he wanted to.

Plax is facing 3.5 minimum in Jail.

I think they are going to make a case with this guy though.

The other guy Antonio Pierce? he may be facing some charges too.

He will be missed more then Plax if the Giants lose his services.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    < Biggest tragedy was the shot only went through his leg, not his head. . >>

Roflmao

Steve
    Good for you.