Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1986 Donruss Autographed set.........updated 1/31

I don't think many people here know that in April, I started an 86 Donruss Autographed set. Since then I have accumulated approximately 40% of the set TTM and through some other purchases with members of SCN. Last week I bought three of the toughest cards to find in the set including the one key card that is virtually impossible to find(Joey DeSa). I should have a fairly easy time with the rest of the set now that I have these three along with a few other tough ones I have accumulated since April.

Not that tough of a card to find, but they can be expensive. Puckett was a pretty good signer in his day so there are several examples out there

One of the toughest cards to find in any 80's set, But the closer you get to his date of death the rarer they become. Diaz passed away 11/23/90, So this is a pretty tough one for the 86 donruss set.

And finally the key to the set, Joey DeSa, Joe was in the majors for the 85 season for 28 games, So his only cards are the 86 Topps and 86 Donruss.Joe passed away in December of 1986,So there was only a few months for him to have signed anything from 1986.

Comments

• Options
    good luck with your collection, keep us posted on some of your cool auto's from the set.
  • Options
    TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    Nicely done "Doc"!
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! Sounds like you are off to a great start. Let's see the rest. Keep us posted.

How much would an obscure, yet very rare auto like Joe DeSa set you back?

Shane

• Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Gentlemen !
    I usually dont send out TTM's for baseball during Football season. But when I saw the DeSa and Diaz come up I knew I had better jump on them.
    I will probably start back full force again on this set in the spring, I hope to have it complted by the end of baseball season next year.
    In the meantime I will be working on a 66 Topps Football Autographed set as well as compiling any autographed football cards I can.
    The extra card I send out with the 66 Topps card will eventually make a pretty nice 60' collection of autographed cards in it's own right.

• Options

<< <i>Wow! Sounds like you are off to a great start. Let's see the rest. Keep us posted.

How much would an obscure, yet very rare auto like Joe DeSa set you back? >>

I gave $150 for Desa, which sounds like a lot for an obscure player no one has ever heard of. However, I doubt that there is more than 10 out there anywhere, If that many. When I started this set I didnt know how rare the Desa auto was, and when I found out I was dis-heartened a little. So I thought I better get it while I could.

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks Gentlemen !
    I usually dont send out TTM's for baseball during Football season. But when I saw the DeSa and Diaz come up I knew I had better jump on them. >>

Does your wife know about your sudden interest in the "jumping on" of men? image
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    Congrats on the DeSa! That is indeed a real toughie!
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    i love these types of threads. i'm working on the 87 topps FB signed set and for a month or so started the 86 Topps BB set. i got about 100 or so in and kinda lost interest but i remember seeing an 86 T Desa on Ebay from a very reputable dealer that i have dealt with alot. i had never heard of the guy so i was surprised when the bidding went up to like $25 in the first day the auction ran. i did some research and quickly realized why. i watched it for the duration of the auction but totally spaced on bidding at the end (i know, sign up for a snipe service, i'm dumb) and it ended up going for just barely over $25. i was pretty disappointed, since i knew i would quite possibly never see one again. it was shortly after that that i kinda shut down sending out any more ttm and just focused on the FB set (i'm about 3/4 through it, anyone have any signed 87s they wanna move??).

anyways, keep us updated on your progress and good luck Barry.

Slowly but surely working on:
    • Kirby Puckett
    • Al Newman
    • Al Toon
    • Troy Bell
    • Trish Stratus
    • 1965 Topps BB
    • 1987 Topps FB Auto'd
  • Options
    I think I remember that auction, wasnt it for a raw card ? There was some talk on Scn about it's authenticity If I recall.

• Options
    yeah, it was if memory serves. i don't remember seeing anything on scn about it but it might well have been brought up there.
    • Kirby Puckett
    • Al Newman
    • Al Toon
    • Troy Bell
    • Trish Stratus
    • 1965 Topps BB
    • 1987 Topps FB Auto'd
  • Options
    Love threads like this and Rubes insane quest for his 52's image

great stuff! keep us posted.
  • Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    I have between 40 and 50 autographed from this set. Let me know if you are interested in buying and I can send you a list. I received these in person after Phillies games. I would wait near the team bus and catch them on their way. Used to go to Oroiles games for the same reason. Unfortunately, I don't think you can do that anymore near the team bus anymore. Those mid 1980's were awesome. Anyway, let me know.
    thanks,
    Bob
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    Very cool. Looks like you have knocked off some of the harder ones. This set is pretty cool overall. Almost all the 80s stars, many HOF'ers, plus some cool RCs. Good luck and keep us updated.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent work in progress TB. Good luck to you. image
  • Options
    Hey Bob,
    Yes I would be interested in some of the 86 Donruss that I dont have yet. If it's not too much trouble could you send me a list Please ?

Thank You
    BK

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Have you got he Donnie Moore yet? Curious how tough that one is.
  • Options

<< <i>Love threads like this and Rubes insane quest for his 52's image

great stuff! keep us posted. >>

dont forget my quest for a signed 54 topps set and i think a board member here is also trying to get a signed 55 AA set...
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,432 ✭✭✭✭
    I have an extra signed John Habyan (Orioles) if you need it....
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options

<< <i>Have you got he Donnie Moore yet? Curious how tough that one is. >>

I dont have a Donnie Moore yet, and yes he is one of the toughest of the set. He passed away in 1989.
    I would say he, Alan Wiggins, Bo Diaz and Aurelio Lopez are all pretty rare. But I have seen most of them at some point within the last year.

• Options

<< <i>I have an extra signed John Habyan (Orioles) if you need it.... >>

Thanks ! I already have one, But appreciate it anyways.

• Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    Take it from a guy who collects major championship signed golf balls. Once you get all the living guys, getting the dead guys becomes a real pain and super pricey. I bet there are some Donnie Moore signatures out there on 86 Donruss though. How many guys in the set are dead?

I always liked the way that set looked. I know it and 83 Fleer are ugly but I always enjoy them for some reason. Best of luck in your continuing quest!
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    Be glad there isn't an 1986 Donruss Rod Scurry (as far as I can tell). ScottDFran has a Lopez up in his store at the moment at a not so bad price considering how tough it is.
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    The DeSa is cool. I have a (probably morbid) interest in autographed cards of players from the year of their death. The scarcity combined with the yes, morbidity, is what fascinates me.
  • Options
    I've got a much better autograph collection than a card collection. I'm not sure what years anyone is particularly interested in, but I have about 1,000 or so signed cards from various years. Not sure if there is anything rare or not, but you can email me a list of what you need and I would check for you.

Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    powderedh20 - turn on your pm
    • Kirby Puckett
    • Al Newman
    • Al Toon
    • Troy Bell
    • Trish Stratus
    • 1965 Topps BB
    • 1987 Topps FB Auto'd
  • Options
    I would love to see how your set is coming along, do you have a photobucket or something, these are awesome cards plus the fact that my favorite player groing up's Rookie is in here (Canseco),
    PLMK,
    Dan
  • Options
    any progress? image
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've got a much better autograph collection than a card collection. I'm not sure what years anyone is particularly interested in, but I have about 1,000 or so signed cards from various years. Not sure if there is anything rare or not, but you can email me a list of what you need and I would check for you. >>

I am looking for the following autographed cards if you can help:

Baseball
    1948 BOWMAN RALPH KINER
    1948 BOWMAN YOGI BERRA
    1948 BOWMAN WARREN SPAHN
    1948 BOWMAN RED SCHOENDIENST
    1948 LEAF 8 OR 1949 BOWMAN 224 SATCHEL PAIGE
    1948 LEAF 79 OR 1949 BOWMAN 50 JACKIE ROBINSON
    1948 LEAF HAL NEWHOUSER
    1948 LEAF 120 OR 1949 BOWMAN 26 GEORGE KELL
    1948 LEAF 138 OR 1949 BOWMAN 233 LARRY DOBY
    1949 BOWMAN ROBIN ROBERTS
    1949 BOWMAN ROY CAMPANELLA
    1949 BOWMAN EARLY WYNN
    1949 BOWMAN RICHIE ASHBURN
    1949 BOWMAN DUKE SNIDER
    1949 BOWMAN BOB LEMON
    1949 Bowman Gil Hodges
    1951 Bowman Nellie Fox
    1952 Topps Hoyt Wilhelm
    1952 Topps Eddie Mathews
    1955 Topps Roberto Clemente
    1958 Topps Roger Maris
    1963 Topps Willie Stargell
    1965 Topps Jim "Catfish" Hunter
    1992 Bowman Trevor Hoffman

Hockey
    1958 Topps Bobby Hull

Basketball
    1980/1981 Topps Larry Bird/Magic Johnson/Julius Erving
    1972 Topps Julius Erving
    1957 Topps Bill Russell
    Wilt Chamberlain's rookie whatever that might be

Thanks,

Mike Navarro
    navarro@flash.net
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    Wanted to give the thread an update...................
    I traded Bob A.k.a. Milbroco, for these 17 86 Donruss autographs. They arrived yesterday and look great !
    There are some fairly tough signers in the lot like Dickie Thon, Mel Hall, and Bedrosian.
    Want to thank Bob for the great cards and helping me out on my quest !! Thanks !!!

• Options
    I find this a little wierd ....

"(Aurelio) López was killed in an auto accident a day after his 44th birthday in Matehuala, San Luis Potosí, Mexico. Coincidentally, there have been three players in Major League Baseball history named Aurelio, and all three were killed in car accidents between the ages of 44 and 53 (Aurelio Rodríguez and Aurelio Monteagudo)."

I did not even know about bo diaz being killed by a satellite dish or donnie moore shooting the family / suicide. Man, its a wierd world. I remember collecting their cards - you just think they all retire to florida or something.

• Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    Glad you are happy with the cards. I had a lot of fun in my younger days getting them at the ball parks.....Veterans Stadium in Philly and in Baltimore before Camden Yards, I forget the name of the park.

I think I will start an autographed set if anyone can help. The 1983 Donrus Action All Star set. Its the first oversized set index card size that Donruss put out I think. I already have half the set with most all of the major stars from my days going to the ball parks. If anyone has any, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Bob

ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    Need any of these?

Baseball Hershiser Orel 1986 Donruss
    Baseball Molitor Paul 1986 Donruss
    Baseball CARTER JOE 1986 DONRUSS CARD
    Baseball GAGNE GREG 1986 Donruss Card
    Baseball MCDOWELL ODDIBE 1986 Donruss Card
    Baseball BRUNANSKY TOM 1986 Donruss DK Card
    Baseball DAVIS MIKE 1986 Donruss DK Card
  • Options
    I recently bought these from Scottdfran's E-bay break-up of his 86 Donruss set. Some very tough and deceased players.

here are the first nine..........................

Pete Rose
    Cesar Cedeno-Tough
    Joe Niekro-Deceased
    Dan Driessen-tough
    Dan Quisenberry-Deceased
    Jose Rijo-tough
    Aurelio Lopez-Deceased,tough
    Eric Show-Deceased
    Manny Trillo-tough

the second nine.....................

Tony Armas-Tough
    Willie McGhee-tough
    Danny Jackson-tough
    Andre Dawson
    Lou Whitaker-tough
    Mark McLemore-tough
    Chris Brown-Deceased
    Dave Smith-deceased
    Donnie Moore-deceased,tough

the third nine............................

Cal Ripken Jr
    Ozzie Guillen-tough
    Goose Gossage
    George Bell-tough
    Tony Pena-tough
    Steve Garvey
    Rickey Henderson
    Juan Nieves-tough
    Fred McGriff

• Options
    mickeymantle24mickeymantle24 Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭
    Very nice! Keep it up
  • Options
    I didn't know Chris Brown and Eric show were no longer with us. I remember hording Chris Brown cards in 1987 after he had his one good season and he was supposed to be a future superstar.
  • Options
    Yep, Chris Brown passed away december 2006 and Eric Show passed March of 94.

• Options
    Is it too late to say, may they rest in peace?
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>I didn't know Chris Brown and Eric show were no longer with us. I remember hording Chris Brown cards in 1987 after he had his one good season and he was supposed to be a future superstar. >>

Show died of a drug OD back in 1994.

Chris Brown...
    He died in a house fire in 2006. Ironicly, he drove a Halliburton truck in Iraq for a few years, coming under fire multiple times, and escaping death each time, just to die in a mundain way after coming home.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    I don't know why, but I think i have an Alan Wiggins signed 86 somewhere.

Ive got a million boxes to look through - but I'll let you know if I do find it.

great collection so far !
  • Options

<< <i>I don't know why, but I think i have an Alan Wiggins signed 86 somewhere.

Ive got a million boxes to look through - but I'll let you know if I do find it.

great collection so far ! >>

Thanks ! And yes I need Wiggins, If you find him let me know.