Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Question for VAMers

Do serious VAM collectors regularly search eBay for already attributed rare varieties. I am going to be getting one back from NGC shortly and am debating whether to just dump it on eBay or send it off to Heritage for one of their twice weekly sales. Thoughts?

FWIW it is a 1878 8 TF VAM-9 First Die Marraige NGC AU58

Comments

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some want to cherrypick a raw coin, then there are those like me who suck at that and tend to buy them slabbed. Feel free to throw it on the BST first and avoid some fees.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    An ANACS AU55 sold on Heritage in March for $748, an NGC AU53 sold on VAMQuest in February for $731 and an ANACS AU53 also sold on VAMQuest in April for $568.

Chris
  • Options
    i've cherried 4 of these. VAM 9's are very easy to sell. AMPEX loves them, and will buy it almost indefinitely. I've sold them all of mine except for 1, which sold to a private collector who needed it. So, i'd go with them first, and then to Ebay.
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    That is a VAM in demand.

To answer your question, yes. Some of us do that regularly and systematically. I don't myself.

As far as where to sell? You might try BST with your price set. It won't hurt much to do an eBay listing with a reasonable starting bid or as a fixed price listing with offer possibility. At least, before shipping off to Heritage, it is a minor advertising expense to try eBay listing.

Unless you think it is lightly cleaned or something, running it throguh PCGS crossover, in the NGC holder, might not be a bad thing to do first, particularly if you have some other varieties to crossover too. PCGS graded VAMs generally do much better.

A note of caution on the Heritage weekly internet sales is that they are not reliably bid. I lost my shirt in those before selling VAMs and have grabbed fully attributed ones a couple times, with no problems, for well under the market. OTOH, I have gotten into serious bidding wars (and won) more times than I'd like ot remember too there.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    direwolf1972direwolf1972 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭
    I have never sold on HA or TT.

I have had decent luck with selling on eBay as a "fixed price" auction. I've sold several VAMs at close or equal to the prices realized for the same VAMs on HA or TT.

On the other hand I lost several bucks selling as a true auction format when I first started. I wont make that mistake again.
    I'll see your bunny with a pancake on his head and raise you a Siamese cat with a miniature pumpkin on his head.

You wouldn't believe how long it took to get him to sit still for this.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file