Home Sports Talk
Options

Selig did something right?

jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
What is this world coming to? This might be the only decision he has made in the last 10 years that is actually good for baseball.

Of course, this is tempered by the fact that we've now learned that the World Series will be scheduled in November next year:

The annual Sunday night opener will be announced later pending a matchup for the ESPN audience, but everything else is pretty much set. The Monday openers will be on April 6, highlighted by the traditional opener that day in Cincinnati vs. the Mets, and that will be one week later than usual. Because the season starts a week into April, there exists the possibility for a World Series Game 7 on Nov. 5, 2009 -- if the postseason schedule follows the 2007-08 procedures.

Guess what, Bud? Nobody wants to watch or play baseball when the temperature is in the 30s!!

Comments

• Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    they shouldnt call themsevelves men then if they cant hack that, buch of whimps and high priced bellhops,image
    football players play in mud and rain, baseball players too srtupid or what, i dont get it, i never had a war called cause of rain?enlighten me
    even though whoever wants to argue will never win,cause im nuts, and you aintimage
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    It's hard to argue with your point of war not getting called on account of rain, but I was thinking about this last night. It seems to me like the difference is that in football you at least get to wear a helmet and pads. Okay, so baseball players wear a helmet and a lot of armor at the plate but out in the field they are at risk. I guess it just boils down to the idea that watching baseball in the rain isn't as much fun as watching football in the rain. At least in football they can use the water to their advantage and slide for extra yards. All you get in baseball is slower grounders, outfielders slipping, and sloppy pitching.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heavy rain is an absolute reason to stop a baseball game-try fielding a 100+ mph linedrive in the rain or getting out of the battersbox when a fastball is shoulder high coming at your face!
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    November baseball sucks. When weather plays a big factor in deciding the WS champion, it lessens the feat
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>November baseball sucks. When weather plays a big factor in deciding the WS champion, it lessens the feat >>

Seems odd that this is limited to baseball, though. In the NFL, the "Ice Bowl" was a classic and few people claimed the weather tainted the victory...
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>November baseball sucks. When weather plays a big factor in deciding the WS champion, it lessens the feat >>

Seems odd that this is limited to baseball, though. In the NFL, the "Ice Bowl" was a classic and few people claimed the weather tainted the victory... >>

I dont see how the two sports can be compared, sure its tougher to play football in the mud ect.. but like I said seeing a baseball in a downpour is flat out dangerous.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Seems odd that this is limited to baseball, though. In the NFL, the "Ice Bowl" was a classic and few people claimed the weather tainted the victory... >>

I dont see how the two sports can be compared, sure its tougher to play football in the mud ect.. but like I said seeing a baseball in a downpour is flat out dangerous. >>

Yeah, I agree. How can you chase down an 80 mph ball in the mud? (Not that I would not try for MLB pay).
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    Yeah, I agree. How can you chase down an 80 mph ball in the mud? (Not that I would not try for MLB pay).

i dunno i wanted to see mudball and find outimage
  • Options
    The reason why baseball isn't played in the heavy rain is because the most basic aspects of the game(like throwing a ball) are compromised to such a high degree, that it makes any attempt to play in such conditions too far from what would be considered 'baseball'.

Football is also compromised in rainy conditions, but not to the degree that baseball is.

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Baseball should return to the 154 game schedule or play more double headers.

Baseball should be done by the middle of October.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    i agree, i miss the double headers too ,the season drags along too long now, kinda like this great election thats been going on for 9 monthsimage
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    One vote for more double headers!

Brian
  • Options
    another vote for Doubleheaders!
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>another vote for Doubleheaders! >>

It'll never happen because it hurts MLB revenues.

Just like rule changes in football to "shorten" the length of the game...which again becomes longer as it's an excuse for more commercials.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Baseball should return to the 154 game schedule or play more double headers.

Baseball should be done by the middle of October.

Steve >>

Well stated, but as I'm sure you know, of course it's never gonna happen. Actually playing more double headers is an excellent idea to get in the 162 games in a shorter time frame...but I'm sure MLB has already done the calculations and decided it would cost them money...and of course, to sports business owners, it's mostly if not all about the money...and it always has been.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    They could always do the day - night double headers with two sets of fans.

Steve
    Good for you.