Home U.S. Coin Forum

Contemporary Counterfeit Bust Half Dollars

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
How much do they sell for? Are they more or less valuable than real coins of comparable quality and rarity? What's the logic to the market?

I understand that it's hard to generalize, but please try.
Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    I believe they generally sell for $50 to $100 for the common ones (general term since they aren't really that commonn), and
    the rarer ones - I imagine - would sell for more, but I'm not sure how much more.
  • Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭
    I've paid $15 each for two low-grade examples, and $65 for another, not low-grade. All relatively common pieces. More rare/interesting varieties can go into the three figure range. The flowing hair counterfeits have sold in the mid four figure range.

Oh yeah. Sheridan Downey sold Jules Reiver's and someone else's about two years ago. Of course I cannot remember exactly when, but the bust half nuts here can likely help.
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • QuarternutQuarternut Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭
    I am always a buyer for marriages I don't have! I own several that are un-published as well...

If any one has any they want to sell please PM me. image

As to what they are worth, depends on a lot of factors just like any other coin. I bought a new one that is unlisted in the book while at the Baltimore ANA for $25, not the norm though, as they are usually a bit more as long as they are not too scraggly looking...

QN

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

• STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Steve, I have an un-documented (as far as I know) 1809 Contemporary Counterfeit CBH.

Unfortunately for you it's not for sale. image I don't have the coin handy, and I don't have pictures of it off hand.

These are pretty cool coins and would make an interesting side-CBH collection.
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems like these aren't very expensive. At the risk of sounding stupid, do you think people don't respect the contemporary counterfeits because they're fakes? If so, I don't get it. The history, rarity and character of the pieces at least equals that of the real coins.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • phehpheh Posts: 1,588
    Likely they don't collect them because there isn't enough educational material out there on them for the populace to get to know them. There is a lot of material that needs updating, color pictures, and general rewrite for today's audiences - IMHO.
  • QuarternutQuarternut Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭
    Winston,
    There is a new marriage for 1809 that is not in the book, but is known. It was in Sheridan Downey MBS #19 Lot 255.

I would love to see a picture when you get a chance...

Unfortunately for you it's not for sale.

Damn! image

QN

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file