Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

submitting thru a dealer

tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

.......what would it run to submit a coin thru a pcgs dealer? hypothetical scenario:

five dollar gold piece 1914-d guessing ms-63 and not in a hurry for the return. looking for just an idea.

thanks in advance.

steveimage
"government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington

Comments

• Options

Back in the day before I had memberships, none of the Dealers charged me anymore than actual cost. Reg service w/postage would set you back perhaps $40

Personally, if I was a Dealer doing this though I would charge. It is a major pain in the ass filling out the paper / boxing / trip to and fro the post office and then getting some yo yo that claims I switched coins on him. No thank you would be my policy.
  • Options

<< <i>Back in the day before I had memberships, none of the Dealers charged me anymore than actual cost. Reg service w/postage would set you back perhaps $40

Personally, if I was a Dealer doing this though I would charge. It is a major pain in the ass filling out the paper / boxing / trip to and fro the post office and then getting some yo yo that claims I switched coins on him. No thank you would be my policy. >>

Well then, I'm glad my dealer doesn't have such a policy. image
    Looking to buy Morgans in ACG, INS, IGA, Old PCI photo, and Hannes Tulving holders.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Back in the day before I had memberships, none of the Dealers charged me anymore than actual cost. Reg service w/postage would set you back perhaps $40

Personally, if I was a Dealer doing this though I would charge. It is a major pain in the ass filling out the paper / boxing / trip to and fro the post office and then getting some yo yo that claims I switched coins on him. No thank you would be my policy. >>

I thought they weren't allowed to charge or say no as part of being a PCGS dealer?
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

If I were you, I'd get the Platinum level membership for $199 and use the free submission coupons, I think they give you 8 coupons when you sign up. I just submitted 6 coins through a dealer that charges 1% of declared value along with the actual submission charges......the cost......$260. Just something to think about.

Of course, this would be useless if you do not plan on submitting but just that 1 coin you have, ever.

-wes
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I talked to a dealer near me a few months ago.
    He said that he saves ~$2 of what my cost, as a member, would be. I can't remember if that is his charge or if he passes that "savings" on. I do remember he said that a portion of the shipping would be charged to me.
    All in all, this deal had very fair practices for submitting. I just didn't like some of the "chemical experiments" that were going on in the backrooms there image (on the coins...not other types of experiments)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭
    I used to use Liberty Coin in Lansing for submissions. Nominal charge but I do not recall how much. Recommendation was to send for express service. Much higher cost but the dealer thought that the results were a bit better than economy.

Last one I sent in to PCGS via this dealer was an 1801 DBHE dollar. I thought she was a 53 with a shot at 55. Dealer (whom I respect immensely) told me not to be surprised if she came back in a 45.

Well, she came back in a 53 holder. I'd probably still have her but I took on a partner for the acquisition due to lack of funds so I promptly sold her. She was hammered, esp on the reverse. Minor scratch in the obv field and really did not have much luster. I sold her in 2005 for $8300. Saw her at Stack's last year for north of $12K. Then on another dealer's web site for about the same price. Have lost track of her since.
  • Options
    No dealers want to bother with submitting coins for you. Just join.
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    It works well for simple submissions but the local dealers seemed clueless abot how to submitt for errors or varieties. I also cringed when I saw them put the flips in a flat cardboard mailer with almost no protection but it worked out fine. image
    Ed

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file