Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Ebay Feedback Extortion?

I have a buyer, best-seller-in-the-world, that purchased 2 psa cards from my store (I accepted offers of $1.00 and $1.50). The total price with shipping was $6.65, he sent a paypal payment. The cards were shipped in a bubble mailer with delivery confirmation. This is the first time I have had a complaint about a PSA holder cracking in shipping. He claims both PSA holders came with 2 inch cracks. He first asked for a partial refund of $4.00. I offered him a full refund of $6.65 if he would return the cards.

He now wants me to refund him the $6.65 plus his costs to ship them back to me or he will leave negetive feedback.

This is a first for me, what would you guys do?

Auctions in question: Auction #1
Auction #2

Collecting all cards - Gus Zernial
Post Cereal both raw and PSA Graded (1961-1963)

Comments

• Options
    If it were me, I would just refund the entire $6.65 and let him keep the cards. It's not worth the hassle or possible negative feedback.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I'd tell him to mail the cards back first and then after I saw them I'd decide if he would get his return shipping
    paid. I would then not reply to him again unless it was mandated by ebay or paypal.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd tell him to mail the cards back first and then after I saw them I'd decide if he would get his return shipping
    paid. I would then not reply to him again unless it was mandated by ebay or paypal.

Steve >>

//////////////////////////////////////////////

Yup.

And, the guy will likely NEG you no matter what you do.

It really is best not to sell tiny-money items on EBAY.
    They attract odd-buyers, who like to leave NEGs.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    Do what I've done in the past

Ask him if he would like for every one of HIS auctions in the future,
    to be won by newly registered users who NEVER pay

it's worked for me a couple of times (they deserved it)
  • Options
    262Runner262Runner Posts: 606 ✭✭✭
    I have asked him to send me a scan of both cards so I can determine what may have happened, if anything, in shipping.

• Options
    Like mentioned, it is only 6.65 cents, you could just tell the guy to keep em, and pay him off.

Not worth the aggravation, I, like you, don't like buyers telling me what I have to do.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have asked him to send me a scan of both cards so I can determine what may have happened, if anything, in shipping. >>

That is the first thing I would have done.

If they are indeed cracked, tell him to keep them and just refund the total price.

We are only talking about $6 and change. I think that is the best thing to do
  • Options
    His resopnse...

<< <i>I don't have a scannner, I have a 7 year old computer with windows 95. >>

Now what?

• Options

<< <i>His resopnse...

<< I don't have a scannner, I have a 7 year old computer with windows 95. >>

Now what? >>

Then ask him to take a picture. Does he not have a camera either? He obvioulsy has no problem with pictures for his own eBay items that he sells.
  • Options
    lawnmowerman,

I agree with you, $6.65 not worth the hassel, however it just ticked me off that he wanted more than the $6.65 or he would leave a neg. If you would have provided a scan or picture and asked for a refund, no question I would do it. I do not want these cards back anyway.

• Options
    Just refund him, chalk it up as a loss, and add him to your blocked bidder list (after he leaves feedback, of course).

Edited-to-add: He sure bids on a lot of grocery coupon auctions.
    Nolan Ryan & Edgar Martinez are my favorite players...
    mosaic's Nolan Ryan Basic Topps registry set
    mosaic's Big 3 Nolan Ryan Run Showcase
  • Options
    He also has scans and photos in his auctions

• Options
    I would ask to a photo of the cracked slabs since he does have something to put out his auctions... If cracked, I would just refund and not have them sent back.

P.S. I like the Montana Rookie he sold, but sent the wrong item!
    Cory
    ----------------------
    Working on:
    Football
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (99.81%)
    1976 Topps PSA 9+ (36.36%)
    1977 Topps PSA 9+ (100%)

Baseball
    1938 Goudey (56.25%)
    1951 Topps Redbacks PSA 8 (100%)
    1952 Bowman PSA 7+ (63.10%)
    1953 Topps PSA 5+ (91.24%)
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (70.76%)
    1985 Fleer PSA 10 (54.85%)
  • Options

<< <i>I would ask to a photo of the cracked slabs since he does have something to put out his auctions... If cracked, I would just refund and not have them sent back. >>

This is what I have done, and yes I will refund if the slabs are cracked.

• Options

<< <i>Do what I've done in the past

Ask him if he would like for every one of HIS auctions in the future,
    to be won by newly registered users who NEVER pay

it's worked for me a couple of times (they deserved it) >>

That is a sure way to get all your accounts suspended.

For that amount I would just refund and move on. You can however report the email with full headers you might be able to get Ebay to remove his ability to leave feedback. I was successful on a buyer this past week who demanded his items be shipped even though Paypal reversed his payment the day before I shipped.
  • Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭
    If he will not give you scans then I think he is trying to get some free cards from you. He has won a bunch of stuff over the last 30 days. Try contacting some of the other sellers and see if he is pulling this too on other cheap cards. I bet he is.
  • Options

<< <i>That is a sure way to get all your accounts suspended. >>

Maybe accounts of some of my relatives in Europe, who just registered to help out a Paison in America :-)

On an occasion or two, I've come accross some Bay'ers that just got me mad :-)
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    If he paid by paypal, dont give him the money back until he does the mandatory sending cards back first. He will neg you no matter what.

Anyone that says they will leave a neg "if" doesnt need to be pacified with agreeing to his demands, it will only further reinforce his belief that he can do this to anyone he chooses.
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options

<< <i>If he paid by paypal, dont give him the money back until he does the mandatory sending cards back first. He will neg you no matter what.

Anyone that says they will leave a neg "if" doesnt need to be pacified with agreeing to his demands, it will only further reinforce his belief that he can do this to anyone he chooses. >>

I completely agree w/ this.
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    I agree...the buyer will NEG you, no matter what, knowing you can't leave one in return. There are many nut jobs out on the "new & improved Ebay" now....not good!
  • Options
    Your only option is to buy something cheap from him and use that as a safeguard.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    New CU rule-- the number of response posts cannot exceed the dollar value of the item in question.
  • Options

<< <i>New CU rule-- the number of response posts cannot exceed the dollar value of the item in question. >>

This is a good rule.
  • Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭

<< <i>New CU rule-- the number of response posts cannot exceed the dollar value of the item in question. >>

Since you didn't specify the dollar type for this I say it should be the Zimbabwe dollar. So we can proceed to discuss this for the next 20 years.

EDIT: Well hell that doesn't work out quite as well, didn't know that dirty government reevaluated their dollar again and made 10,000,000,000 = to $1 current Zimbabwe dollar a couple months ago. Still $94 of their dollars to one of ours. How long til the US dollar is on a 1=1 basis with them again???
  • Options

<< <i>

Since you didn't specify the dollar type for this I say it should be the Zimbabwe dollar. So we can proceed to discuss this for the next 20 years.

EDIT: Well hell that doesn't work out quite as well, didn't know that dirty government reevaluated their dollar again and made 10,000,000,000 = to $1 current Zimbabwe dollar a couple months ago. Still $94 of their dollars to one of ours. How long til the US dollar is on a 1=1 basis with them again??? >>

Once the world quits trading oil in U.S dollars image
  • Options

<< <i>

This is a good rule. >>

Note that if we implement this rule the number of acceptable response posts for any transaction valued at less than $1 would be zero (we're rounding down). I don't think anyone would argue with that. At the same time, if you get hosed on a deal for T206 Eddie Plank you would be allowed to post about it (and receive posts) until the Rapture.
  • Options
    The buyers response to my request for a picture or scan..... No scanner. I asked how he has pictures and scans for his auctions, his response:

<< <i>I go to the library or community college to use scanner. >>

• Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Sc Sc Sc Scammer
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    I would refund in full due to the dollar amount buy something cheap from him add him to my BBL and move on. If you buy something from him and he realizes it he will be less likely to neg you and you will still have the advantage since his ability to leave feedback will run out before yours does.
  • Options
    Tell him to go to the library then.

Why is it the small sales are the ones with the most aggravation?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Tell him to go to the library then.

Steve >>

That is the question everyone asks. I just got a neutral from a buyer who won an item for 6.00 total Sunday she paid Tuesday recieved it Saturday and said shipping was way too slow. it took 5 days from the EOA to Delivery.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Tell him to go to the library then.

Steve >>

That is the question everyone asks. I just got a neutral from a buyer who won an item for 6.00 total Sunday she paid Tuesday recieved it Saturday and said shipping was way too slow. it took 5 days from the EOA to Delivery. >>

THAT is insane, what a rectum. Guess you should have bought a plane ticket and hand delivered the item.
    Collecting Interests:
    Ripken, Brooks & Frank Robinson, Old Orioles, Sweet Spot Autos, older Redskins - Riggins, Sonny, Baugh etc and anything that catches my eye. image

My ghetto sportscard webpage...All Scans - No Lists!!! Stinky Linky
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    True story - I once filed a NPB after waiting about 3 weeks for payment and e-mailing him around 4 times...and the buyer's reply to ebay about the NPB was that the shipping was too slow.

Yes, he had 0 feedback.

Fortunately no neg from this idiot.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>His resopnse...

<< I don't have a scannner, I have a 7 year old computer with windows 95. >>

Now what? >>

Then ask him to take a picture. Does he not have a camera either? He obvioulsy has no problem with pictures for his own eBay items that he sells. >>

I find it hard to believe that a 7 year old computer has 95 on it. He sounds like he may not be entirely truthful. Just refund it and block his butt.
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    Probably not the most appropriate thread but I just got feedback from a seller (4sc). I thought it was only one-way feedback?
  • Options

<< <i>Probably not the most appropriate thread but I just got feedback from a seller (4sc). I thought it was only one-way feedback? >>

i'm assuming it was positive

sellers can only leave positive fb
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    Thanks. This had been my first ebay transaction since about May and had not kept up.
  • Options
    Give him his money back and put him on your blocked bidder list. imo
    Collector of 71 Kelloggs Football and Unitas cards.