Home U.S. Coin Forum

I fought the good fight on this one, but in the end... well... I WON! :-D (grade revealed)

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,501 ✭✭✭✭✭

(Update: grade revealed below- just for fun, vote before you scroll down and peek.)

I fought and won, but it cost me.

But have a looksie, and I think at least some of you will understand why I was willing to duke it out on this piece.

Interestingly, the seller was a guy I have bought several cheaper love token dimes from. A slab from him surprised me.

Now I just gotta scratch up the scratch. I have it, but have to wait for some checks to clear before any money goes back out.

This is it for me for a little while. Enough buying... time to put on the selling hat soon.

Guess the grade and service if you like. No fair peeking at my auctions, unless you peek at the selling side. image

imageimage

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭

<< <i>time to put on the selling hat soon >>

You're selling your hat soon?!? image

• BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    I'll guess pcgs XF45

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I might HAVE to sell my hat, one day, the rate I'm goin'! image

But no, that would be one of the last things to go. Right before my daughter's collection and then my detector finds, last.

I've turned down several offers for it at shows, though. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    impaired proof not designated as such????
    i've no clue but await this disclosure
    pcgs vf35
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    I'll go with a new anacs holder. I'd grade the coin VF-30ish, the LIBERTY looks strong for the grade but the rest of the coin looks like what i'd expect a VF-30 to look like.
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    I just found out that Rob and I both purchased 1847 Seated Dollars over the weekend. I like his much better though but he wont trade
    I note BBN's edit. He typed NGC XF45 at first but meant to say PCGS XF45. Obviously not NGC because of the clear plastic.

Not that there's any prize or anything.

I'll reveal the grade before I slither off to bed.

• Reverse looks AU 50 but net grade was probable XF 45 ANACS
    Tydye's is sweet, too. Very sweet, in fact. Sharper detail.

Mine has the plastic and the "crust" factor, his is... well, just all around nice. Was way cheaper than mine, too. Actually, when we compared prices, I think I like his better, for the money he spent. Both are pretty nice, though, I think.

We were exchanging PMs and he mentioned buying an 1847 dollar. I said, "How bizarre- look at the thread I posted seconds ago."

• QuarternutQuarternut Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭
    PCGS EF-40 to 45, not enough luster to make a 50 in my mind, even though the reverse looks AU to me.

QN

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

• BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,960 ✭✭✭
    Ill go Anacs vf30 as well.
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    I think it is a proof. PR45. --Jerry
  • CladiatorCladiator Posts: 18,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That plastic looks way too clear to be PCGS. It's gotta be in a new style ANACS slab. Grade, XF40?
    So, in all honesty, I would be very interested to know which coin, mine or tydye's, everybody prefers. Not that this is competition between tydye and I, because he paid significantly less for his and I almost think I like his better at the price he paid than I do mine at the price I paid. I had to fight for mine, like I said.

Both are nice. It is very interesting that the two of us bought these pieces around the same time. He got his locally so it is in hand, but I have to pay for mine and wait for it to ship. I am sure it is perfectly nice in hand, though. I did not notice the little rim bump on mine until after I bid, but it's not that big a deal to me- a very minor blip on the radar. I'll go ahead and tell you mine did not grade as a problem coin.

Impaired proof? Really? What is making y'all think that, if I may ask? If anything, I would think tydye's coin looks more "proofy" than mine.

• Hate to say so LM but I like his better, fewer hits on the reverse.
    If I had to pick between the two I'd take LordM's. I find the circam more appealing.

<< <i>So, in all honesty, I would be very interested to know which coin, mine or tydye's, everybody prefers. Not that this is competition between tydye and I, because he paid significantly less for his and I almost think I like his better at the price he paid than I do mine at the price I paid. I had to fight for mine, like I said. >>

In all honesty i probably would have passed on both coins (not knowing the exact grade of either, prices paid, or what exactly either of you were looking for). With the exception of the 59-o and 60-o, the 1847 is the most common seated dollar i've seen in just about all circulated grades and just about every look somebody would want.

Your coin (if i'm reading the pics correctly) appears to have more wear than I'd suggest with how strong LIBERTY appears. Also, the reverse on seated dollars are usually very, very strong. Just the fact that I see whitening (and i assume a little heavier wear?) on the eagles wings make me think XF-40 and below instantly. The whiter areas on Liberty's left arm and shield make me think this coin runs in the VF-30 level. Also, i see nothing which makes me think proof, although I do not have my Bower's book with me to check die markers.

From the images I like Tydye's coin more. There doesn't appear to be the heavy wear on his coin that i see on yours. However, his picture hides a lot and makes me wonder what's going on with the darker toning. I have a CBH that has the same look and I have no clue how it toned like that, but i'm not a huge fan of this look. Judging purely from the pictures and assuming no problems are present, i'd grade his coin in the XF-45 range.
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

No worries about a little brutal honesty. I like both coins. But knowing the prices we paid, I like his a little more. His is definitely sharper.

If he really likes mine better, we may end up working out a swap later, when mine is in hand.

Now, should I reveal the grade yet? (Edit: I'll wait until there are 30 votes on the poll. 28 now, including my neutral.)

I know at least one person has peeked behind the curtain. image

If you were to able to compare our prices, you would definitely say he got the better deal.

I say I "fought" for this, but in fact esnipe did. I didn't even realize I'd won it until tonight, and I had almost forgotten I programmed a snipe days ago.

And I do not use Greysheet. Anybody who looks at Greysheet on this and peeks at my price is gonna probably say I blew it.

But if I had bid sheet price on it, we all know I would have lost.

I see 31 votes...TELL US!!!!

Now 34!!!

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

34 votes now. Spill the beans!

<< <i>And I do not use Greysheet. Anybody who looks at Greysheet on this and peeks at my price is gonna probably say I blew it.

But if I had bid sheet price on it, we all know I would have lost. >>

I was hoping you'd react to my brutal honesty in that way.

As for the pricing...Welcome to the world of seated dollars as of lately. image The bottom line is that any seated dollar that has not been brutally cleaned or shows signs of damage (rim bumps and holed especially) is extremely tough to find and will command big premiums, and i believe, from the photos, both coins fit into this category.

LordM, quick PM sent before i head to bed.

OK, I'll spill it, after I answer whoever just PM'ed me. Must be speety. Back in a sec.

Here 'tis.

Just for the record, since I will leave the poll up, here were the results of the poll before I revealed the grade.

<< <i>Total Votes: 34
    VG or less (I'm legally blind, or graduated from the Marquis de Sade School of Grading.)
    1 (votes) 2.94 (%)
    F12
    0 (votes) 0.00 (%)
    F15
    1 (votes) 2.94 (%)
    VF20
    1 (votes) 2.94 (%)
    VF25
    2 (votes) 5.88 (%)
    VF30
    5 (votes) 14.71 (%)
    VF35
    5 (votes) 14.71 (%)
    XF40
    9 (votes) 26.47 (%)
    XF45
    5 (votes) 14.71 (%)
    AU50
    1 (votes) 2.94 (%)
    AU53
    0 (votes) 0.00 (%)
    AU55
    0 (votes) 0.00 (%)
    AU58
    1 (votes) 2.94 (%)
    Mint State (I'm legally blind, or work for a Third World slab factory.)
    1 (votes) 2.94 (%)
    "Problem" coin (I'll explain why when I reply)
    1 (votes) 2.94 (%)
    Who cares, just show me the results, already.
    1 (votes) 2.94 (%) >>

Hrm, I was half right image

Nice coin Rob.
  • xf40
    Seems to me that ANA grading standards say that if all of LIBERTY is visible on the shield then it can be considered an EF coin, someone tell me if I am wrong on that as I am at work and don't have access to a book right now.

Of course that does not apply to 20 cent pieces...

QN

Ohhh i was sooo close! I can see the coin in that holder, no majorly distracting hits and it's very natural look can make up the 5-point bump from my original guess.

<< <i>Seems to me that ANA grading standards say that if all of LIBERTY is visible on the shield then it can be considered an EF coin, someone tell me if I am wrong on that as I am at work and don't have access to a book right now.

Of course that does not apply to 20 cent pieces...

QN >>

QN, that's always been what i've read and gone off, but i don't have the book in front of me either. However, the rest of the coin exhibits more wear than is generally experienced with a coin that shows full LIBERTY, and thus a VF grade imho

I can agree with that on the obverse, but the reverse should carry some weight as well and it is better than EF-40 IMO.

Again, this is not my series so I will have to bow to those in the know...

QN

Now, since anybody can look at my eBay stuff anyway, I might as well spill the price. I paid $406.15 with free shipping.

I have no idea what Greysheet is, and frankly, I didn't really care. I looked at the coin and looked at Redbook and Numismedia before I bid, factored in a tiny bit of cushion for me to resell the piece later, and programmed the snipe.

I'll let tydye spill his own price when he returns, but he told me, and frankly, he got the better deal. I think he stole his at the price he paid. I am not displeased with mine at the price, though, really, even though I had forgotten I'd bid and "accidentally" won it.

Edit to add: Numismedia says $468 in XF and Redbook says $500 in XF. I'm not arguing that the coin IS XF, though it certainly has some of the characteristics of that grade, and if we graded by the poll, it would be. I bought it based on the holdered grade, which I can agree with. VF35 is only a squeak away from XF, after all.

• RobbRobb Posts: 2,034
    I lost my job... The sky is falling... Selling prized collection on eBay and BST...

Hey guys, look what I spent $406 on!

It's a very nice coin, nonetheless.
    imageRIP

<< <i>I lost my job... >>

Mea culpa. That OT thread unintentionally got way out of hand and I didn't know I had lost my job when I posted it.
    It was deservedly nuked by the mods, and I was relieved when they removed it. It was embarrassing.

<< <i>The sky is falling... >>

Not once have I said that, nor do I ever recall suggesting anything of the sort.

<< <i>Selling prized collection on eBay and BST... >>

Where do you think the money for all this new stuff came from?
    And none of my collection has hit eBay yet.

<< <i>Hey guys, look what I spent $406 on! >>

If I am gonna be a dealer, what am I gonna sell to earn a living?
    My fifty-cent Darkside stuff? Those do fine at the antique mall and they add up and almost pay the rent each month,
    but I had to transform as much of my personal collection into saleable material as possible, as soon as possible.
    That's why they call it seed money. You gotta plant before you can harvest.

PS- don't you worry yourself with my bank balance. Truth be told, for the moment it is looking much better than it did when I had a regular job.

<< <i>It's a very nice coin, nonetheless. >>

And thanks for the compliment on the topic at hand... the coin.

• I think it is right on the money.
    Trustworthy BST sellers: cucamongacoin
  • BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    I like the coin very much. You were correct

to fight it out, for what appears to be a

beautiful coin.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,960 ✭✭✭
    Looks like you are well on your way to the transformation.

Shoot, I was off by 5 points. image
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yippee! I got one right for a change. image
    When in doubt, don't.
  • SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭
    Ouch!
    I overshot by 5.

Nice coin.

<< <i> Ouch!
    I overshot by 5.

Nice coin. >>

Thanks. You shouldn't feel too bad. The majority overshot by five points, if the poll is to be believed. Actually, those who said XF40 have a pretty good argument to support their case. I think that reverse is 45-ish to borderline AU50- but since it has been stated here that reverses tend to be sharp on Seated dollars, we'll just say the reverse is solid XF and leave it at that.

Personally, if presented with the same poll, I would have guessed 40 myself, just because the little bit of additional rub on the obverse pulls the sum down a tad.

I don't have a problem with ANACS' grade- I think at least some of us have duplicated their thought processes, here.

I do think this piece is an upgrade candidate. If I were a player at the crackout game, I would try it. But I am not. I find that a hassle. It'll go as-is when I sell it, in the ANACS plastic, unless I happen to have a submission going off to PCGS (probably not anytime soon). Maybe if it is still on my hands the next time I go to a show, I'll resubmit it. That is usually the only time I make submissions.

• I voted "Problem Coin" and here's why. The coin is all blurry. You'll have to get it in hand to make sure, but I think the paint was not quite dry on this one when they slabbed it causing the blurry look.

Jonathan
    I have been a collector for over mumbly-five years. I learn something new every day.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accurately graded, IMO. I guessed VF-35 also before reading the rest of the thread. There's a bit too much wear on the obverse for a straight XF, but this coin would fall into the PQ range for its grade.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice patina on her!
  • coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Accurately graded, IMO. I guessed VF-35 also before reading the rest of the thread. There's a bit too much wear on the obverse for a straight XF, but this coin would fall into the PQ range for its grade. >>

I agree!image
  • Rob-
    for comparison in a pcgs vf35:
    USPI minimalist design collage
    designset
    Treasury Seals Type Set
  • Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Very niice coin

Not too bad of price

If I only had itimage
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • I can't believe I was correctimage It was a lucky guess
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>And none of my collection has hit eBay yet. >>

Liar, liar, pants on fire.

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• InYHWHWeTrustInYHWHWeTrust Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭
    Sweet, sweet coin and rare to find toned up so nice!! You done well, Rob! I agree with VF35.

Don
    Do your best to avoid circular arguments, as it will help you reason better, because better reasoning is often a result of avoiding circular arguments.

<< <i>< And none of my collection has hit eBay yet. >>

Liar, liar, pants on fire.

image >>

Not lyin'. I have stuff on eBay, but it is all consignment material. You can tell because it is NICE stuff instead of my usual cheapo cra-

OH. Wait.

You're talkin about THOSE. I did put up some junk lots that were leftovers from the Holey Coin Vest up, at somebody's request. image

I guess those could be counted as part of my "collection". If you consider the Holey Junk Jar as part of my collection.

• numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

LM's coin is undergraded by ANACS and the PCGS coin posted above seems a bit on the liberal side for the assigned grade. I think you got a great deal LM.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file