Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Got Grades on the Octtet of BTWs -- Guess the grades and win (real) Prizes!! WINNERS ANNOUNCED!!

ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
WINNERS ANNOUNCED!! -- See post on Page 2

A while back I posted pictures of 8 raw BTW halves with various degrees of toning. I submitted all 8 coins to PCGS, and recently received the grades. I thought it would be fun (and educational, perhaps) to have a guess the grade contest!

Here are the rules:

1. Contest deadline is 8:00 p.m. EDT Sunday, August 24.

2. One entry per person -- edits to guesses are permitted up to the deadline.

3. Guess the grade of each coin in the order they appear -- there are no bodybags.

4. Each player is assessed one "point" for the number of grades away from the actual grade. For example, if the guess is MS63 and the actual grade is MS65, you are assessed 2 points. If the guess is MS60 and the actual grade is AU58, you are assessed 1 point (for being one grade away, as there is no AU59).

5. You must guess a numeric grade for all 8 coins -- guesses of "bodybag" or omission of a guess for a coin will be disqualified.

6. The entry with the lowest number of "points" wins the contest! Second lowest wins second place, third lowest wins third place.

7. Ties: Tiebreaker #1 -- the most exactly correct grade guesses. Tiebreaker #2 -- the earliest entry time (based on time of post or time of last edit).

Prizes are as follows (pics of prizes will be posted at end of contest):

First Place -- BU 1946 and 1946-S BTW halves, plus 1952 Wash-Carver half (all 3 coins MS 63/64).

Second Place -- 1946-D BTW Half, PCGS MS64

Third Place -- BU 1952 Wash/Carver half, approx. MS63

Following are the coins, and Have Fun!! image

Coin #1: 1946 BTW Half

imageimage

Coin #2: 1946 BTW Half

imageimage

Coin #3: 1946-D BTW Half

imageimage

Coin #4: 1946-S BTW Half

imageimage

Coin #5: 1947 BTW Half