Home U.S. Coin Forum

Old PCGS slab or something fishy here?

Is this 1922S Peace in an authentic slab? And can someone give me some insight as to what the current bid on this might be? Seems like there is a huge jump from MS63 to MS64 with this coin. Any thoughts and comments would be appreciated. Thank you!

imageimage
Chaz

Proud recipient of Y.S. Award on 07/26/08.

Comments

• It's an OGH. Yeah, it's authentic.
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭
    The slab is authentic.

Save this web page for future reference.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • MoonbiterMoonbiter Posts: 652 ✭✭
    What makes you think something is wrong with the slab? Those slabs are about 10-13 years old. I just purchased 2 coins in that era of slab recently.

Read this thread. It shows a history of the PCGS slabs.

• << <i>What makes you think something is wrong with the slab? Those slabs are about 10-13 years old. I just purchased 2 coins in that era of slab recently.

Read this thread. It shows a history of the PCGS slabs. >>

I havent seen many of them and figured I would ask here to get confirmation. Thats all. Thank you for the link as well. Now what about the price for this coin. According to greysheet the bid for a MS 63 is $52 and MS 64 is $225....why the huge jump?
    Chaz

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Huge jump? Of course there would be. A lot less 64's around than 63's. Just a matter of supply (low) and demand (high).

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • I'm no expert, but I would say it's got something to do with how many survived above MS-63. There are several coins like that. I just purchased a 1926 Sesqui quarter eagle MS-63. There is about a $500 price jump up to MS-64 and it's due to the nature of the coin. The coin has a history of being weakly struck so the ratio of total mintage vs specimens that are MS-64 or higher is low, which accounts for the price increase. I would imagine it's the same for that coin. Unless you are an investor, IMO going from $52 to $225 for 1 point isn't worth it IMO, but collect what you like. =)
  • Fair enough. Now as far as TPG is concerned, are the prices for a PCGS MS63 and lets say an NGC MS63 or an ANACS similar in value. I undestand that some are tougher with the grades, but how much difference is there? Would a PCGS MS63 grade AU with ANACS? Just wondering.
    Chaz

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Now what about the price for this coin. According to greysheet the bid for a MS 63 is $52 and MS 64 is $225....why the huge jump? >>

Huge jump? Check out the difference between a 64 and 65! Or a 65 and 66. Can you multiply by 10?

Nice original coin. Would sell at auction for around $260, I'd guess.
  • garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    Not a bad looking 64 - I think I may have owned that one a couple of years ago.

• << <i>Fair enough. Now as far as TPG is concerned, are the prices for a PCGS MS63 and lets say an NGC MS63 or an ANACS similar in value. I undestand that some are tougher with the grades, but how much difference is there? Would a PCGS MS63 grade AU with ANACS? Just wondering. >>

Check the auction archives at Teletrade, Heritage or Ebay. In most cases, the more expensive the coin, the steeper the discount, especially for ANACS holdered coins. The discounts are wider in some series than others. Again, best to check the archives for specific coins as the prices do vary from series to series.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file