Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Another bump sub, what do you think? ---- results in: 1 out of 6.

Using some registry set freebies, I sent in another 6 nice looking PSA 8s to see if I could get some .5 bumps. What do you think will get the nod?

Corners were the #1 issue why some of the cards I sent in with my last bump sub didn't get the bump. so I chose cards with stand-out corners, so we'll see.

The scans were all done at different times, and as time went on I figured out how to get the most out of my scanner, so some of the scans came out dark and gray, but I can't rescan them until I get them back. image

imageimage
imageimage
imageimage

I think they're all worthy of getting bumped, but I think the 70 Perry, 71 McCovey, and the 80 Henderson have legit shots at PSA 9s.
My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25

Comments

• Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say the 71 McCovey for sure.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    i like the rickey
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I would say yes, yes, yes, yes, yes and yes. On second thought, change the second to last yes to no.
  • bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>i like the rickey >>

Sounds like a direct quote from Rickey himself!
  • fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    I'd say yes to the Marichal, McCovey, and Ricky.
  • chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    Don't be surprised if none of them get the bump. chaz
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Yes on Cepeda and McCovey.

BURGUNDY
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Marichal and McCovey are your only hopes
  • PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818
    69 Marichal - Yes
    64 Cepeda - Yes
    64 Perry - Maybe, but leaning towards No
    71 McCovey - Yes
    70 Perry - No
    80 Henderson - No, T/B centering is off
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd say yes on Cepeda and McCovey. The Cepeda looks about 60/40- It has great color--full bump??
  • storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Don't be surprised if none of them get the bump. chaz >>

///////////////////

Must agree.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • TexomaTexoma Posts: 179
    Ok--school me. I mean I'll admit my formerly 20/15 vision aint what it used to be BUT--------

If I were grading I'm probably giving everyone of those cards AT LEAST a 9!!!!

WTF is wrong with any of those cards??? The 64 Perry--sombody point out all the flaws with THAT card!!

"You can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig."--Cotton Cook
  • The Perry is sweet.
    -Rome is Burning

• storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "...The 64 Perry--sombody point out all the flaws with THAT card!! ."

/////////////////

Centering is a tiny bit distracting; fails the high-end "eye-appeal" test.

A couple of little PDs.

A PSA Mint 9 is a superb condition card that exhibits only one of the following minor flaws: a very slight wax stain on reverse, a minor printing imperfection or slightly off-white borders. Centering must be approximately 60/40 to 65/35 or better on the front and 90/10 or better on the reverse.
    NM-MT 8: Near Mint-Mint.

A PSA NM-MT 8 is a super high-end card that appears Mint 9 at first glance, but upon closer inspection, the card can exhibit the following: a very slight wax stain on reverse, slightest fraying at one or two corners, a minor printing imperfection, and/or slightly off-white borders. Centering must be approximately 65/35 to 70/30 or better on the front and 90/10 or better on the reverse.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    Yes - Marichal, McCovey, and Henderson.
  • swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    cepeda, mccovey and marichal - the henderson will not get the bump!

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    We're on business day 45, taking July 4th and the National into consideration. Hopefully we'll see some poppage any time now...

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1969 Marichal and 1971 McCovey only.
  • mickeymantle24mickeymantle24 Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭
    Maybe the 69 Marichal, and if your lucky the Henderson! Good Luck
    Well, my submission page doesn't show that the cards have been graded yet, but when I did cert lookups on each of my cards, I see that the 1971 McCovey is now an 8.5, while the others are still 8s. I wonder if they're still working on them?

• otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Leaning towards Cepeda and McCovey. The Marichal has the typical print line running parallel to the left border that seems to run until the blue spot in the stands to the left of Juan's mouth.

Before anyone goes off and tells me that's in the picture, I've seen several versions of the line(s). Some single, like this one, some with a faint shadow parallel to the first line and on rare occassion, I've seen Marichals with NO print line. So if it's in the picture, how is it that there are some without it?

In any respect, they are some sharp looking cards and if you get an extra bump on the Perry, then 50% is a solid outcome!
    Ok, now my submission status page is updated.

1 1 08198153 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1964 TOPPS 390 ORLANDO CEPEDA Card US
    2 1 40631685 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1980 TOPPS 482 RICKEY HENDERSON Card US
    3 1 08259529 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1964 TOPPS 468 GAYLORD PERRY Card US
    4 1 31663344 NEAR MINT-MINT+ 8.5 1971 TOPPS 50 WILLIE McCOVEY Card US
    5 1 05038952 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1969 TOPPS 370 JUAN MARICHAL Card US
    6 1 40137349 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1970 TOPPS 560 GAYLORD PERRY Card US

I got one out of 6. I'm really interested to see what the little stickers say about why the others didn't get the bump. Guess we'll see soon enough.

• billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    maybe this is a stupid question, and if so, I apologize. But why didnt you crack them out and send them in raw? Is there a benefit to sending them in the holders?
  • MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    No chance of a downgrade if you send them in holders but you diminish you full point bumps as well if you ask me.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No chance of a downgrade if you send them in holders but you diminish you full point bumps as well if you ask me. >>

Ok, that makes sense. But one would have to have VERY little faith in PSA if you thought there was a possibility of a downgrade when you think the cards were worthy of a bump up.
  • MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Cards also could get damaged breaking them out or when putting them in card savers. PSA has been known to damage them as well.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • "Ok, that makes sense. But one would have to have VERY little faith in PSA if you thought there was a possibility of a downgrade when you think the cards were worthy of a bump up."

now thats funny image I'd wager if he had sent them in raw, SOME would have gone down in grade. Not that they deserved to be downgraded, but maybe the grader was having a bad day, ate some bad chili, had a hangover. Real roll of the dice to crack them out.
    This is my 2nd bump sub. In my last one, I was 3 for 7, with 1 full point bump (8 to a 9) and 2 8.5s. I guess I didn't think that the psychology experiment was necessary.

I used my registry freebies for these, so I'm only out shipping, which should be made back a few times with the 8.5 bump on the 71 McCovey.

I just got the cards back today. Here are the reasons the others didn't get the bump...

69 Marichal = PD
    70 Perry = PD
    64 Perry = t/b centering
    64 Cepeda = t/b centering
    80 Henderson = t/b centering

I'm flipping all of them (except for the Henderson). If you wanna drop in a bid, click on my Ebay link in my sig.

• jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,949 ✭✭✭✭
    PD?
    PD = print defect. I'm guessing it's the line on the Marichal and some snow on the Perry.

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    The 64 Cepeda looks like it could bump.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭✭
    I still think the Marichal should have bumped to an 8.5. If that print line is as common as Scott says it is (and I would believe him), then that should not have factored into the decision not to bump.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • sagardsagard Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I just got the cards back today. Here are the reasons the others didn't get the bump...

69 Marichal = PD
    70 Perry = PD
    64 Perry = t/b centering
    64 Cepeda = t/b centering
    80 Henderson = t/b centering

>>

Did they actually give you a sticky note with the details per card?

<< <i>I still think the Marichal should have bumped to an 8.5. If that print line is as common as Scott says it is (and I would believe him), then that should not have factored into the decision not to bump. >>

Agreed. A few years back I submitted a 1969 Topps Marichal with the same print line, and it got a straight PSA 9. However, "PD" is the reason they gave. Maybe they were talking about the black dot to the right of the bill of Marichal's cap?

<< <i>Did they actually give you a sticky note with the details per card? >>

Yes.