Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Another one to add to my bag of pirate booty.

Haven't bought a new coin in a while, but thought this one looked interesting. Nothing spectacular, just a late-state obverse die with a few die cracks and some weakly-struck areas.

Comments

• Options
    BSBS Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Congrats, overall it's a nice looking coin.image
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Its amazing that the pirates had enough foresight to slab their booty to protect its long term value.

Nice patina on that one. image
  • Options
    Nice...thanks for sharing!

• Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

I wonder how long that reverse design lasted? Here's a coin minted for the Philippines in 1885:

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> wonder how long that reverse design lasted? Here's a coin minted for the Philippines in 1885 >>

It's Spain's coat of arms even to this day and appears on their flag, as well. In terms of it appearing on coins - I'd guess until 1986 when Spain joined EU, but this is just a speculation on my part.

Thanks for the compliments, guys.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

PS- what's the grade on the label?

Or is this a "guess the grade" thread? image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU50?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    AU53?
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a 45. There are quite a few spots of wear, even with the lustre. Add the weak strike, which PCGS often punishes the coin for and I can see how they arrived at that grade.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was kinda thinkin' 45-ish, but with the strike issues, I really wasn't sure.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825
    Very neat coin. Thank you for sharing the pic. My two are "pocket piece grade" Your's is NICE.
  • Options
    dizzleccdizzlecc Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    I like it, thanks for sharing. Now find me one. ha