Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Who's buying these 2008 Platinum coins at these crazy prices?

I count myself out as I have already purchased the proofs and uncirculated versions. It's a crap shot as to when the Mint shuts off sales or issues 2009 coins.
USAF vet 1951-59

Comments

• Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    (1) 1/10 oz proof for me
    (1) 1/10 oz unc for me
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    Based upon the replies. I guess there really are only 23 members, 24 with me that are interested in platinum.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    I do believe you are correct.
  • Options
    +1 ME complete NGC PF-70 $10 Proof Set and Burnished W MS-70 $10 set image
    Why do you have to 'put your two cents in'... but it's only a 'penny for your thoughts'? Where's that extra penny going to?
  • Options
    coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I count myself out as I have already purchased the proofs and uncirculated versions. It's a crap shot as to when the Mint shuts off sales or issues 2009 coins. >>

Why would they ever shut off sales?
    They are still selling the 07 sets.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bought tham all (proof and Unc.) already...
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    not at THOSE prices. 1oz proof = $2,509.95

melt = $1739.00

$770.95 above melt!!!

my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    I am............. NOT!!!
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I am............. NOT!!! >>

• Options
    I my opinion while melt is a factor, I don't consider it the only and most important factor with these coins.....

• Options
    I was smart enough a few years back when I was otherwise living on a student's budget to buy a 1/4 oz. (Unc) platinum and a 1/2 oz. (Unc.) gold bullion coin each. They're from 1998 and 1997 respectively, and their values have about doubled. Given that the proof versions are only a little more, I'll probably do more of those, though if I'm going to buy bullion and throw in just a little more, from the gold end of the picture, I might as well go with pre-1933 and throw in numismatic interest as well. But, platinum pretty much requires going modern coinage unless you're fond of bricks. Not that it's an issue that crops up very often, mind you, since it's priced like, well, platinum.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just about to order a 2008 burnished unc, but it's a HUGE purchase for me that'll leave me without a coin budget for months. Someone commented only people with loads of cash can buy these things, it's not true. I'm gonna just have to cut my own hair and order from the value menu at McDonald's for the next few months.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

<< <i> I'm gonna just have to cut my own hair and order from the value menu at McDonald's for the next few months. >>

You could carry cans of Tuna and packs of Crackers like I do. image
  • Options
    NeoStarNeoStar Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭
    Got's mine!!! I'll be living on Lean Pockets for the next 6 months!!!
  • Options
    I wasn't going to get the uncirculated coins this year because of the price. I finally decided to buy on e-Bay a 2008 W Platinum $50 PCGS MS69 First Strike. I just want to complete the three branches of our federal government with the coins that are easy to see the design. I am disappointed that it wasn't the owl.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,516 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Mint is straying further and further away from my original justification in buying their bullion products - that justification was strictly an affordable product based on low and reasonable price spreads between the bullion melt price and the Mint's selling price.

They are turning me back in the other direction, from whence fc hath come.image

One fine day, they will have gone too far.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    When the bullion price is $1750+ an ounce it is hard to make it affordable for all.....
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

<< <i>When the bullion price is $1750+ an ounce it is hard to make it affordable for all..... >>

It's time. image

Platinum plated Silver Eagles for the less enthusiastic buyers of the series.

Advantages over the plain Silver Eagles?

- Changing reverse designs

- no milk spots

• Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought 10th ouncers. Contemplating getting some 1/2 ouncers.
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    It's not that I'm not interested. I just have better things to spend my money on. I love the designs but the 1/10 ounce is too small and anything larger is quite expensive.
  • Options
    TomohawkTomohawk Posts: 667 ✭✭
    Hey, Fullstrike...I would be a buyer (provided there was a significant amount of Platinum...say at least 10%).

And all kidding aside, your suggestion would be one way of increasing interest in Platinum coin sales. I don't think the problem is that people aren't interested in Platinum coins...I think right now it's just a rich man's playground for most items or for special occasions (wedding rings, anniversary stuff, etc.). Until the price comes back to $400/oz (ok, I'm dreaming), I think anything in pure platinum is going to move slowly.

As far as my interest...I'm VERY interested: Much like that little kid in The Christmas Story that drooled over the super cool BB gun...but I just don't have the $$ for these bad boys. I did buy the Anniversary set, but just could not afford to keep them (I know...pretty short leash!).

Guess I'll just keep drooling at the window, or pretending I'm one of the board members with a full collection (lucky-and rich-stiffs!!).
    ASE Addict...but oh so poor!
  • Options
    You just have to go without food for awhile then anybody can afford some platinum coins.....
  • Options
    I really hate to pay the price, but I do want one coin that I can see. I have sold platinum at a profit in the past few months, so I guess I am trying to justify it. If I don't get the coin, I might regret it in the future. Sometime down the roadI will sell my 70s from '06 & '07, but I will keep a set of 69s in $50. I just like the coin.
  • Options
    coasterfancoasterfan Posts: 1,302
    Maybe the collectible plats should be replaced by bimetallic, similar to the Library of Congress commemorative.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options
    I bought a proof and w-unc $50 for 2008. With the new pricing structure, the fall in metal value, and the general economic problems, I hope that no one buys any more of them...

It will be one of the few times I have put my hands on a key date without paying extra on the secondary market image

Eric
    EAC member since 2011, one third of the way through my 1793 large cent type set
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

Instead of the 2008 plats, I'd much rather prefer to order the 2007 10th aniversary set...but not for $800 over melt...that's just crazy overpriced!
  • Options
    That anniversary set is platinum coins without any real potential.....
  • Options
    I got my 1/10 oz proof and W unc platinum coins a little bit ago.....

Look great and really like the design.....

Now the mint just needs to stop selling them image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file