Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Help from assayer expert?

coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
I came across a Parsons and CO silver bar. It is small...about 1 oz in total weight.

The "obverse" says:

PARSONS&CO
ASSAYERS
COL
---1860---

The "reverse" says:

CARAT EWT
10 . 25

I assume it is Estimated Weight?
Any ideas as to value/rarity? Pretty esoteric....

Thanks in advance.

John

Comments

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe that the second abbreviation on the reverse is actually DWT, the abbreviation for pennyweight.
    Possibly 25 pennyweight of .416 fine silver. 20 DWT = 1 troy oz.____ 10(K)CARAT = .416 Fine

Dr. John D. Parsons set up shop in Colorado near the town of Tarryall in Park county. Very little is known about his operation though in 1861 he minted 2 1/2 dollar and 5 dollar coins which today are very rare. This emergency money had similar use as the private issue pieces that were minted during the California Gold Rush days of 1849-1857.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PM Sent.... image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    CD,

I louped it...you nailed it DWT. Cool. I have at least learned something neat from it.

Thanks!

J
  • Options
    firstmintfirstmint Posts: 1,171
    According to Don Kagin's book on the subject of Private Gold, p.322 -

Specie Ingot... "Many false pieces in base metal exist".

Nuf' said.
    PM me if you are looking for U.S. auction catalogs
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very common in replica form.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Thanks guys...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file