Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1930s mickey mouse cards anyone know about these?

i just found some mickey mouse cards that are from the 1930s ..i was just wondering if anyone on here could give me an idea of what there worth of know anything about them...on the back they say choclaterie rubis verniers..so i am guessing they are french and i was also told that they were either put in to tabacoo packs or in candy bars back in the 30s..these are very small cards....i do have some pictures but i am having a hard time posting...i have 14 of the cards which i think might be a set but theres no #s on the back...all help would be appreciated thanks terry

Comments

• It is actually a 15 card set distributed in chocolates in France and Holland thus there are two versions,French/Dutch. They came in color or black and white and I have seen sets sell for as much as $195 and as low as $39. I have a couple of them so maybe I have the one you are missing. I hope my two cents helps some and if you ever want to get rid of them sell/trade please let me know.
    I have been collecting sports cards for 30+years.
  • 1neatstuff1neatstuff Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭
    thanks so much i appreciate that the ones i have are color cards it has mickey boxing, skiing etc...they are in fantastic shape i was also wondering if psa would grade them and they said they need to be listed somewhere or have been priced out somewhere else before they can grade them...kcards do you have a picture of yours that i could see to see if its the sames ones? if you have the one i dont have id love to pick it up from you...thanks so much for your help...also do you know exactly what year they are from? i was also told that the mickey mouse holding the gun was a very tuff card to get as it was pulled i dont know if thats true or not...i am going to try and post these later today...thanks again...terry
  • Hi Terry,
    As far as I know the Rubis Mickey Mouse cards are Belgian and there are 60 in the set. They date from the 1930's but I'm not sure which specific year. They are candy cards and the complete sets I've seen sold have fetched between $200 - $400. A small batch of complete sets appeared on the market around 15 years ago and this is when I acquired my set (I believe they were part of a small Belgian "find" of these cards but am unsure as to how many cards/sets in total were involved) . Some appeared in various card auctions in the UK and the price quoted is what the sets were selling for then. I personally haven't seen any sets or odds for sale for about 10 years now so I presume the supply dried up and the sets are now housed in collections.
    They are small cards measuring 50mm x 26mm and it would be great if psa could grade them. I believe the French/Dutch set is a different series altogether and is complete at 15 cards both in the black/white and coloured. I'm not sure but think these cards are also larger than the Rubis cards? I've scanned the complete set of 60 cards which hopefully will appear below.
    UK based card nut currently working on several sports & non sports sets on the psa registry.
    ebay id: bongobell
  • rest of scans for Mickey Mouse Rubis cards:
    UK based card nut currently working on several sports & non sports sets on the psa registry.
  • last lot of scans for Mickey Mouse Rubis cards:
    Hope this info helps.
    Nick
    bongo bell thank you so much those are the cards that i have and they are in very nice shape i just cant find those anywhere...what do you think the set is worth now? yours look very nice also..terryimage
  • I have only heard of the French and Dutch versions. This is kind of neat as I wonder how many versions there are. Thanks for the info and I am going to further my education in this area.
    I have been collecting sports cards for 30+years.
    nick and kwcards thanks so much i appreciate the help..image
    any more info on these yet?
  • Tecmo BoilTecmo Boil Posts: 259 ✭✭✭

Pulling up a pretty deep archive here. Cool looking cards. Picked up a couple recently. Does anyone happen to know if the “gun” card was actually short printed?

• The gun card was supposedly pulled when people complained that children had these cards. But really wasn't pulled but was taken away by parents most likely.

:# Very pleased to say that I have moved up to the third place spot on the 1930 Mickey Mouse Rubis registry list! Hard work can pay off! :D

A bunch of these are up on PWCC now.