Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The dollar is taking a beating this morning!

Down against the euro to a record 1.60 and against almost everything else. Financials aren't doing too well either.

Comments

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You haven't seen nothing yet, wait til Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac go under, the prop is already looking shaky and under funded.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    This is a sad time in American History! We have seen nothing like this before in our 232 years...we are in uncharted territory!
  • Options
    jsfjsf Posts: 1,889
    goodness, Bernanke in Congress, the Pres addressing the economy and oil in a few minutes, this is getting...interesting.
  • Options
    sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 819 ✭✭✭
    Silver at 19.33; looks like it is picking up again,,,
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Silver at 19.33; looks like it is picking up again,,, >>

Of course it would, I just sold a ton of itimage

Stefanie
  • Options
    <<<<< Silver at 19.33; looks like it is picking up again,,, >>

Of course it would, I just sold a ton of it

Stefanie >>>

Sell low, Buy high.......... My motto!
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

From CNBC: So it's now official...the stock market (and house prices) is only ALLOWED to go up without limit...making money on declines is now a crime! I love how the parties (banks, brokerages, etc) that scream "free market" economy loudest are the first to strip away the foundation of a free market when things stop going their way!

SEC to Limit Short Sales of Major Financial Firms
    By Reuters | 15 Jul 2008 | 01:40 PM ET

The U.S. Securities and Exchange will issue an emergency rule later Tuesday to stop "naked" short selling in major financial firms, including Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, the SEC said.

Short sellers borrow shares they consider overvalued and sell them. If the price drops, they repurchase the shares, return them and pocket the difference.

The rule would require any person making a short sale in the listed securities to borrow the securities before the short sale is effected and deliver the securities on settlement date.

The new restrictions were first announced by SEC Chairman Christopher Cox during testimony before the Senate Banking Committee.

"Today the commission will issue an order designed to enhance protections against naked shortselling in the securities of primary dealers Fannie Mae [FNM 7.68 -2.05 (-21.07%) ] & Freddie Mac [FRE 5.71 -1.40 (-19.69%) ] ," Cox said. "The emergency order will provide that all short sales of the securites primary dealers Fannie & Freddie will be subject to a pre-borrow reqiurement."
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,511 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everything financial is sooooo counterintuitive. Do I correctly understand that naked shorting of Fanny or Freddie is now taboo?

Does this apply to commodities also, then? (As in silver, which is being heavily naked-shorted in order to hold the price down.)

Why not apply this brilliant principal across the board on all financial instuments, and ban the use of leverage totally, in all markets?

It does make one wonder why the heavily stock-invested banks & brokers would want to make it hard to get out of stocks and scary to get into metals. Maybe they have a plan?

It's enough to make a cynic out of the most gung-ho investor when the rules only apply to certain people, at certain times, and only when certain groups have already made their move.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>From CNBC: So it's now official...the stock market (and house prices) is only ALLOWED to go up without limit...making money on declines is now a crime! I love how the parties (banks, brokerages, etc) that scream "free market" economy loudest are the first to strip away the foundation of a free market when things stop going their way!

SEC to Limit Short Sales of Major Financial Firms
    By Reuters | 15 Jul 2008 | 01:40 PM ET

The U.S. Securities and Exchange will issue an emergency rule later Tuesday to stop "naked" short selling in major financial firms, including Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, the SEC said.

Short sellers borrow shares they consider overvalued and sell them. If the price drops, they repurchase the shares, return them and pocket the difference.

The rule would require any person making a short sale in the listed securities to borrow the securities before the short sale is effected and deliver the securities on settlement date.

The new restrictions were first announced by SEC Chairman Christopher Cox during testimony before the Senate Banking Committee.

"Today the commission will issue an order designed to enhance protections against naked shortselling in the securities of primary dealers Fannie Mae [FNM 7.68 -2.05 (-21.07%) ] & Freddie Mac [FRE 5.71 -1.40 (-19.69%) ] ," Cox said. "The emergency order will provide that all short sales of the securites primary dealers Fannie & Freddie will be subject to a pre-borrow reqiurement." >>

If this was indeed the reason for stocks to go down then they would have risen dramatically today. Short sellers did not cause people to take out mortgages or for oil to rise 10 fold in the last 9 years. I am constantly amazed at the ignorance of our elected officials.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file