Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this an average 1950 Proof Set?

coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,685 ✭✭✭✭✭
What is your opinion?
What value do you say it is?

This one is in a capital holder, no box.

I searched on Ebay and I only see a few. I'm going to guess at $550.

Stefanie

Comments

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    My first guess, from the images, is that is a mint set.

The coins really don't look like proofs to me.
  • Options

<< <i>My first guess, from the images, is that is a mint set.

The coins really don't look like proofs to me. >>

• Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My first guess, from the images, is that is a mint set.

The coins really don't look like proofs to me. >>

My thought too...

But very nicely struck
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The dime looks nice.

Do you have to make an offer, or is the owner looking for a set price? $550 would be pretty standard retail, IMO.
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are proofs...look at the sharp rims and hammered devices.
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,685 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are proofs. Its very hard to shoot through the plastic holder.
    I'm just trying to update my inventory list with prices.
    Not buying or selling.
    I have another still in the original box but the cello is starting to affect the coins.
    I was thinking to take the other set out and put it in a holder.

I'm going to take better pictures of the set I posted now and re post them.
    I'll take them out of the capital holder and post in a few.

Stefanie
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    Hard to tell through the Capital holder.
    Certainly no reflective fields/devices.
    If it is a Proof set, just a common set IMO.
  • Options
    They are proofs. In 1950, the mint didn't polish the dies during use like they did in later years. As others have said, look at the strike and the rims.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is without question a proof set. The coins of 1950 are often found with a more satin feel than the later brilliant issue sets.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    That quarter reverse is certainly a Type B found only on proof coins until 1956 when a very few started showing up also on circulation strikes.
  • Options

<< <i>They are proofs. In 1950, the mint didn't polish the dies during use like they did in later years. As others have said, look at the strike and the rims. >>

Indeed. A nice set, too.
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1950 Pr. Franklin is getting tougher to find raw.

I just saw a set inferior to yours sell at a premium to your valuation.
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Walter Breen touches on the fact that in 1950 there appear to be two types of finishes on the Proof coins; polished Cameo surfaces and a finish that more closely resembles a Matte finish, weaker mirrors that don't have the depth of later years and look like very well struck circs to a certain degree. apparently it took the Mint some time to perfect the process so the Cameo finish came later in the year. remember, the Mint used the Matte finish until 1916, started 1936 with a soft Satin finish and switched to the polished finish. after the brief hiatus from 1942-1950 i assume the workers had to re-learn the Cameo process with perhaps nobody employed who had done it before.

i have seen coins with both finishes in all denominations. for instance, i purchased a 1950 Proof Set in a Capital Holder back in November of 2007. the Half-Dollar had the softer Mint like Matte finish and graded PR65 at PCGS, the Nickel/Dime/Quarter all are brilliant with a semi-cameo look and the Cent graded PF66CAM at NGC, so there's a bit of everything to be had!!! the Quarter is pictured below, i think it should grade PR67 possibly a point higher, it has absolutely no hairlines whatsoever.

hairlines are the biggest problem with these sets and i always strongly suggest that they be placed in Capital type holders or SaFlips for protection. don't fool yourself into thinking that original is better with these old box sets, carefully remove the coins and save the packaging. also, buying them on eBay or anywhere from a picture is risky at best. discerning the faint hairlines at a shop/show or even your own home is difficult, i can guarantee that you'll never see them in a picture, especially if the seller doesn't want you to see them!!!

as for price, bid/ask is probably about $530/$570 with dealers in my area buying at 10-15% back of bid and selling at anywhere from bid-ask. the 1950-1970 Proof Set arena is an interesting and challenging area to actively collect in. be prepared to look at many, many sets before you buy, but if you're smart you can end up with some nice coins rather cheaply, coins which are prohibitively more scarce than the pundits would have you believe.

this 1950 Jefferson is in a PR67 PCGS first generation holder.
  • Options
    As of the June Grey Sheet... bid price for an average quality (PR63-65) set is $590 and ask is $640...

...so I'd say that $550 is a very fair price...
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Walter Breen touches on the fact that in 1950 there appear to be two types of finishes on the Proof coins; polished Cameo surfaces and a finish that more closely resembles a Matte finish, weaker mirrors that don't have the depth of later years and look like very well struck circs to a certain degree. apparently it took the Mint some time to perfect the process so the Cameo finish came later in the year. remember, the Mint used the Matte finish until 1916, started 1936 with a soft Satin finish and switched to the polished finish. after the brief hiatus from 1942-1950 i assume the workers had to re-learn the Cameo process with perhaps nobody employed who had done it before.

i have seen coins with both finishes in all denominations. for instance, i purchased a 1950 Proof Set in a Capital Holder back in November of 2007. the Half-Dollar had the softer Mint like Matte finish and graded PR65 at PCGS, the Nickel/Dime/Quarter all are brilliant with a semi-cameo look and the Cent graded PF66CAM at NGC, so there's a bit of everything to be had!!! the Quarter is pictured below, i think it should grade PR67 possibly a point higher, it has absolutely no hairlines whatsoever.

hairlines are the biggest problem with these sets and i always strongly suggest that they be placed in Capital type holders or SaFlips for protection. don't fool yourself into thinking that original is better with these old box sets, carefully remove the coins and save the packaging. also, buying them on eBay or anywhere from a picture is risky at best. discerning the faint hairlines at a shop/show or even your own home is difficult, i can guarantee that you'll never see them in a picture, especially if the seller doesn't want you to see them!!!

as for price, bid/ask is probably about $530/$570 with dealers in my area buying at 10-15% back of bid and selling at anywhere from bid-ask. the 1950-1970 Proof Set arena is an interesting and challenging area to actively collect in. be prepared to look at many, many sets before you buy, but if you're smart you can end up with some nice coins rather cheaply, coins which are prohibitively more scarce than the pundits would have you believe.

this 1950 Jefferson is in a PR67 PCGS first generation holder.
    image >>

This is one of the reasons I like these forums.............there is always someone that can shed some major light on all of your questions!

Ray

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice proof set. 1950 proof halves are supposed to look almost like business strikes. Pity about the scratch across the bell. I'll say PR64 on the half. I see some PVC coloring on the dime. Since it's been in a Capital holder, I'll assume that's just the coloring. Obverse of the nickel almost looks cameo.
  • Options
    Yup, looks like an average PROOF set. Price guess seems reasonable.
  • Options
    coindudeonebaycoindudeonebay Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭
    You could actually tell from the first pictures that they were proof. Take a look at the quarter especially, near the date. You don't get mirrors like that from mint set coins. As stated in a previous post, the mint just wasn't up to snuff when making the 50 PS's. The dime was easy to tell in the first pic too, nice frost on the head of Franklin, too bad the mirrors just aren't there.

As far as is this set average? Yea, I'd say average with probably an average plus cent. The cent is usually the problem coin in the 50 PS. Yours is nice and red, that's nice, although in the closeup pix it seems that the coin is starting to spot. Also I'm a bit concerned about the two lines I see on the bell. Are they toning or are they scratches? No matter really, I think that even if they were light scratches, the coin would still grade at 64 which is a pretty average grade for early PS's. So, all in all, a nice set.
  • Options
    mnmcoinmnmcoin Posts: 2,165
    For a 1950 set, that set is far from average...especially if there are not hairlines. I have handled about a thousand 1950 sets and would guess that around 40% of the sets had glue spots on the coins...this was actually the biggest problem of the 1950 sets. Typically about 70% of the coins are of a brilliant satin finish. About 15% of the coins have a mirrored non-cameo finish. About 10% have a light to moderate cameo appearance and about 5% have a full cameo or above contrasted appearance.

Values on these types of sets can vary quite a bit. Back when 1950 sets were bid around $300 I bought two sets for pretty big money...one was about $1500 and one was $2000. Needless to say both sets garnished major pop top coins, but even sets that don't have pop top coins in them still bring decent premium. This can range from minimally hairlined coin that have no glue spots to pr66 and above coins.

morris
    "Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
    ** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
    Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
    28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
    TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    they don't appear to be in all that good of condition
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am now officially very confused. image

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file