Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What a weekend. A huge purchase. Lots of pictures. Of course! All Columbian Expo! - *UPDATE WITH

tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
Recently a dealer friend of mine contacted me about another customer that had a collection of Columbus medals that he was wanting to sell off to another collector. He would rather not split it up and really wanted it to go to a collector. The dealer thought of me which I REALLY appreciate. The total count of the collection was over 200 medals and tokens including many hanging ribbons.

I made arrangements to fly down to Jacksonville, FL to see the collection before buying anything. It's one of those things where I could buy the entire lot or select only the ones that I wanted. I opted for the latter. So I looked at the group and ended up with about 100 medals and ribbons.

The dealer and I then went to lunch where he tells me that another customer wants him to sell off a group of about 50 medals, but doesn't want to split it up. The dealer knows that he could get more money splitting it up, but the customer doesn't want to do that. He wasn't really ready to sell it, but had the authority if I was willing to pay the price. He pulled it out and I instantly bought it as a lot.

All in all, I came home with 141 new pieces. Some will be sold off, but many are new additions to my collection. About 60 of them are listed in Eglit (that I've found listed at least) and the others are unlisted. Here is just a quick sampling of what I have. Sorry if some numbers are incorrect. I've been using the previous owner's information for some of these.

Eglit-212
imageimage

Eglit-221
imageimage

Eglit-322
imageimage

Eglit-506 (HK-233)
imageimage

Eglit-578
imageimage

Eglit-84 - I love this one......
imageimage

Eglit-Unlisted
imageimage

E-101 Series - HK-222 (36mm), HK-222a (low relief), E-51 (50mm), E-101 (90mm)

*UPDATE*
Here's round 2 of pictures:

Unlisted badge

Eglit-260
imageimage

Eglit-432 Unlisted Variety - Christmas 1893
imageimage

Eglit-433 smaller unlisted variety
imageimage

Eglit-522
imageimage

Eglit-543
imageimage

Some Ribbons:

Extremely ornate pin of Santa Maria. Looks gold, but stamped on the back sterling. Made in Portugal. Previous owner supposedly has some assurance that this is from 1892/1893 era.

Finally a square token thingy.

Comments

• Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Does he invite his buddy to go with? NO!!!image
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    YES, now those are some awesome pieces.

My favorite is the sextagonal (Eglit 322) while a close second being the Eglit 84 (the one you liked)! image

I'll check your site to see if they are posted there. This is one awesome collection you have going and I would love to see it in person some day.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is an absolutely fantastic story and I bet you are still thrilled!image
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    I have no idea of what I am looking at but they look pretty neat and you seem pretty excited to get them so....CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How can you get excited about this kind of material? Top pop ultra moderns are where you should be spending your money.image
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    If you ever decide to sell the 578........Please PM me
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    Wonderful medals! image
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    AOEDADAOEDAD Posts: 107
    WOW those are superb ! ..

you lucky xxxx !

take care ! .. tj
    "Authority on Exonumia" - DAD

"many contacts among the Lumberjacks "

NGC Registry AOEDAD sets:

Set #1 Major Expositions
    Set #2 So-called Dollar Collections
    So-called $50 Slug Facsimiles
    Bashlow re-strikes

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool stuff!
  • Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! More pics!
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Cool stuff even if I don't know squat about 'em. That trip must have been a phenomenal experience though.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    13 images down, 128 to go image
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    Very Nice!!! Congrat's on this group. image
  • Options
    Thanks for all the comments. I'll try to get some more pictures up tomorrow. There's a lot to take and edit. Sorry the color isn't right on. I'm working more on speed than taking the time to adjust the white balance.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You sir have an incredible collection.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,685 ✭✭✭✭✭

E-101 Series - HK-222 (36mm), HK-222a (low relief), E-51 (50mm), E-101 (90mm)
    image >>

btw.....Tom, just slide those beauties over my wayimage

Stefanie
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Sweet, very nice. image
  • Options
    Updated in original post with more pictures. Enjoy!
  • Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool.

The last one (the last one at the moment, anyway) is for the League of American Wheelmen -- an early club to promote bicyclists nationwide. If you don't know the acronym in advance, it's not the sort of thing you can figure out easily since a search for "l a w" on google provides "just a few" hits...

The standard reference on Christmas tokens and medals was written by Arlie Slabaugh. It would be interesting to see if that Eglit-unlisted WCE piece is listed in there.

Is there a story behind the 7-sided Eglit 322?

More pics!
  • Options
    The Eglit-322 I assume is considered a lucky piece. The 7-sides, and the 1492=1+4+9+2=16=1+6=7.

Eglit says that this piece was advertised for sale by W.J. McKee out of Pittsburgh, PA as a Columbian 13 medal. Price 25c, in the World's Columbian Exposition Illustrated Journal. It is described by the advertiser as "Showing Columbus Lucky No. Seve, the original one with a double (2 syllables). Spells 'Succuss.' A pocket mascott (sic) star and souvenir, 3 in 1. Size, half-dollar, shape, 7 cornered, Patened."

I haven't figured out what all the letters mean around Columbus.

Thanks for the info on LAW. There were a few different things held in 1892 in Washington DC.
  • Options
    I don't have the book on Christmas tokens, so I can't look it up. Do you?
  • Options
    oxy8890oxy8890 Posts: 1,416
    Looks like a cool group.
    Best Regards,

Rob

"Those guys weren't Fathers they were...Mothers."

• Options
    WalmannWalmann Posts: 2,806

Haven't seen this one before, any information on how many of these kicking around?
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My maternal grandfather's parents (my great grandparents) met at the 1893 Columbian Exposition. He had immigrated to the US from Sweden in 1891 and she was from Pekin, IL. As a young girl she had used a railroad handcar to get to school! (Her father worked for the railroad.)

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    What an incredible group!

Impatiently awaiting round 3 pics!image

Thanks for sharing.
  • Options

<< <i>image Haven't seen this one before, any information on how many of these kicking around? >>

I hadn't seen it before either and it appears to be unlisted in Eglit, though I haven't given up hope in finding it yet. I'd bet this is a pretty tough one to find. It does have a small loop attached that I cropped out for ease.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file