Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Counting 2008W SAE 07 rev RAWs

One persistent question on this coin forum is how many 2008 W SAE 07 rev. errors were actually produced. Although the Mint has offered their “guestimate” (~47K), the credibility of that number is questionable and some of us believe (for various reasons) the true count is lower.

It is reasonable to assume the Mint will not be making any more of these errors as they identified the cause and corrected it. This leaves two variables:
1) Did the Mint retrieve and destroy any of the error coins they produced?
2) How many raw error coins were shipped to customers?

We may never know if the mint retrieved any of the error coins before shipments began. One forum member (lope208) filed a FOIA request asking for the number of error coins that were actually shipped from the Memphis facility. It would be great if that request were actually (truthfully) answered.

Yet, one could attempt to work backwards to infer the number of raw error coins shipped as the whole of this population consists of coins that fall into three possible groups – coins being graded by TPGs, coins that have been graded, & raw coins that are being held (for whatever the reason).

Factually, we know how many of the 07 rev errors have been graded by the 3 major TPGs (PCGS, NGC, & ANACS) as they provide us their population reports by coin grade. These reports are periodically updated, which in turn will account for the coins that are somewhere within the grading process. That leaves the more nebulous group – raws coins being held.

Granted, it is virtually impossible to determine the number of raw coins being held by so many unknown owners. However, with a bit of cooperation, a general idea of this population can be made.

Based on forum comments, it is evident that many forum members have some of these raw coins. If they were willing to simply state how many raw 07 rev errors they owned, I would compile the data and report the results. I would also start a similar topic in the NGC forum.

So what will all this information yield? Certainly not the real Mint error shipping count, but just a bit more information that might provide some insight into the meaningfulness of the Mint’s 47K estimate.

I’m willing to do the work, if the forum members are willing to share the information… image

Comments

• Options
    I currently have 2 raws delivered from the mint , 1 er ngc ms70 and 1 er ngc ms 69. I will be selling the slab coins and keeping the raws.
    Bobby Dees
  • Options
    Thank you. I added my single raw coin to the list. I'll post results weekly...
  • Options
    I agree with you. I have six that I will keep, but a lot more graded that I will be selling.
  • Options
    TomohawkTomohawk Posts: 667 ✭✭
    3 raw for me
    ASE Addict...but oh so poor!
  • Options
    1 Raw here.
  • Options
    2 raw
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    2 raw for me.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What makes you think that the number of raw coins held by forum members is ANY valid indication of how many might still be out there? Unless you can provide direct evidence to the contrary [either a Mint or Memphis fulfillment center employee in the know] why not just assume that the entire estimated 47,000 got out.
  • Options
    Hi, Bajjerfan.

I think because so many have reported "tampered-with" boxing that an assumption the Mint was able to keep some from being released is made. Of course, as the OP mentioned, it could simply be a lot of pipeline folks (truck drivers, warehouse folks, etc.) grabbed 'em while they could...

At least it's an attempt at some kind of count. But, in all likelihood, the 47,000 will remain the published number and prices should respond accordingly. Only time will tell, and perhaps the efforts of several on this forum (and I'm sure, others) will be successful in further defining the population.

As for me, I'm going conservative and guessing the eventual values will be somewhere in-between the 2006 Reverse Proof prices and the 95-W proof prices...with a range of 5.3 x Reverse proof prices (250,0000 Reverse proof population divided by 47,000 08 w/07 reverse population) and .64x the 95-W prices (30,000 divided by 47,000).

Dunno, but gotta guess somewhere so I can determine am I stupid to sell now, or wait for the price to climb into the low thousands...
  • Options

<< <i>Hi, Bajjerfan.

I think because so many have reported "tampered-with" boxing that an assumption the Mint was able to keep some from being released is made. Of course, as the OP mentioned, it could simply be a lot of pipeline folks (truck drivers, warehouse folks, etc.) grabbed 'em while they could...

At least it's an attempt at some kind of count. But, in all likelihood, the 47,000 will remain the published number and prices should respond accordingly. Only time will tell, and perhaps the efforts of several on this forum (and I'm sure, others) will be successful in further defining the population.

As for me, I'm going conservative and guessing the eventual values will be somewhere in-between the 2006 Reverse Proof prices and the 95-W proof prices...with a range of 5.3 x Reverse proof prices (250,0000 Reverse proof population divided by 47,000 08 w/07 reverse population) and .64x the 95-W prices (30,000 divided by 47,000).

Dunno, but gotta guess somewhere so I can determine am I stupid to sell now, or wait for the price to climb into the low thousands... >>

I happened to get one of those packages, but I assumed that it was more a matter of poor packaging [5 little boxes and a little airbag in an oversized box] than it was rifling. People have reported this same situation with other issues [I think the 3 piece ASE set was one] in the past. As I said if it was a Mint directed search, the error coins would have simply been replaced. Are we led to believe that any coins lost to the pipeline folks should not be considered as part of those released by the Mint?
  • Options
    People who watch this stuff like a hawk should keep their eyes open for unusually large numbers of these being put up for sale in one area.
  • Options
    3 ngc 69 er
    2 pcgs 69
    2 ngc ms70
    Why do you have to 'put your two cents in'... but it's only a 'penny for your thoughts'? Where's that extra penny going to?
  • Options
    HIGHLOWLEAVESHIGHLOWLEAVES Posts: 781 ✭✭✭
    Wighty44, I applaud you in your quest to derive a realistic tally for the number of 2008/07 ASE coins that the Mint truly minted and released. I have tried to do some what the same for over three years for the WI Extra Leaf quarters. I have recorded the PCGS and NGC Pop figures every Monday for several years and have recorded the sale of each WI quarter on Ebay for the last year. These numbers represent alot of effort and simply a trend at best. Years will be needed to determine an accurate count. In the case of the WI quarters, time has snuffed out a great deal of the interest in these quarters. I trust that the ASE error/variety will remain of interest to collectors !!
    Specialized Investments
  • Options

<< <i>3 ngc 69 er
    2 pcgs 69
    2 ngc ms70 >>

He is only trying to count the raw or ungraded coins.
  • Options
    That, I think, is the $64-thousand question...was it rifled, or just poorly packed?

Either way, I still feel using the 47,000 is the best way to plan for the eventual value of this coin. Until a better number comes along (perhaps through the efforts of this particular thread, perhaps not), I'm stuck with my earlier equation.

Of course, the other nagging issue I have with my equation: The 95-W proof was the only "W" proof coin that year (I think)...I'm a bit worried that because the 08' rev of 07 is just a variant the pricing won't be quite as strong. But I keep hoping (and I'm certainly not an expert!).

Thx,

<< <i>

<< <i>
    I happened to get one of those packages, but I assumed that it was more a matter of poor packaging [5 little boxes and a little airbag in an oversized box] than it was rifling. People have reported this same situation with other issues [I think the 3 piece ASE set was one] in the past. As I said if it was a Mint directed search, the error coins would have simply been replaced. Are we led to believe that any coins lost to the pipeline folks should not be considered as part of those released by the Mint? >>

• Options
    THE LAST SHIPPMENT I GOT BACK IN MID MAY IT APPEARED THE MEMPHIS PEOPLE WENT THRU THE BOXES.....ALL THE COINS WERE LOOSE IN THEIR BOXES. IF THEY WEREN'T IN THEIR BOXES THEY WERE LYING LOOSE IN THE BOTTOM OF THE BOX. TWO OF THE COINS WERE NOT EVEN IN THEIR PLASTIC CAPSULES BUT WERE LYING LOOSE ON THE BOTTOM OF THE BOX.
    Past BST deals baddogss,llafoe,braddick,wondercoin,fireman2030, ProofCollection, SNMAN,halfnut1
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    I have one raw coin ordered that I am waiting for it to ship from where I purchased it from.....

Saturday at the coin show I was at (100 or so tables) I saw 1 NGC-69 for sale and one sign with "we are buying these at $425". Did not see any others.
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,482 ✭✭✭✭
    The US Mint's "guestimate" was based on finding 15 2007 Reverse dies that had been recorded as being used over 3 shifts of operations along with an average of a little over 3,000 coins produced per die (on average).

I see no reason to conclude that less than the stated 47,000 escaped especially since the US Mint had no idea that these had been produced in the first place until questioned by Coin World near the middle of April which was 6 weeks after their release. I also have no reason to conclude that the US Mint "retrieved" any of these from being shipped given the late notification of their existance and the resulting an slaught of orders from folks wanting a piece of that pie me included. The high number purchased by forum members on both sides of the street between mid April & early May could certainly have been the remaining stockpile at the Fulfillment Center based on a First in Last out basis.

I wish you luck in your quest to come up with a count but I think your number will come in way under the 47,000 mark as the PCGS and NGC forums do not give a good cross section of the folks that typically purchase these pieces on a regular basis. I'm sure we'd like to believe otherwise.

For me, add 3 raw's to the list.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797

61 raw
  • Options
    John91CJohn91C Posts: 300 ✭✭
    I have 46,000 raw.

• Options

<< <i>Wighty44, I applaud you in your quest to derive a realistic tally for the number of 2008/07 ASE coins that the Mint truly minted and released. .... These numbers represent alot of effort and simply a trend at best. Years will be needed to determine an accurate count. ... >>

Thank you... While I recognize my this effort is not a short-time endeavor, I applaude the PGCS forum members who have particiapted.

In contrast, my post in the NGC coin forum has been met with a nay-sayer's attitude. Fortunately it is presently only one person who persistently criticizes those who feel this error has value. I believe he's made his point and should leave it at that...image
  • Options

<< <i>I have 46,000 raw. >>

Great - a comedian...image
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,482 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>THE LAST SHIPPMENT I GOT BACK IN MID MAY IT APPEARED THE MEMPHIS PEOPLE WENT THRU THE BOXES.....ALL THE COINS WERE LOOSE IN THEIR BOXES. IF THEY WEREN'T IN THEIR BOXES THEY WERE LYING LOOSE IN THE BOTTOM OF THE BOX. TWO OF THE COINS WERE NOT EVEN IN THEIR PLASTIC CAPSULES BUT WERE LYING LOOSE ON THE BOTTOM OF THE BOX. >>

I seriously doubt the shipments were "gone thru" as the Fulfillment Centers history with the packaging of SAE's is one big rant after another beginning in 2006 with the Anniversary Sets.

If the coins were prepackaged in one, two, three, four, five, ten, fifteen, twentyfive, fifty and hundred unit boxes as subscriptions, those would have been shipped first as mine were on 3/17/2008. This was a month prior to the mint even knowing these existed yet my shipment had opened boxes rattling around inside the shipping container. I hardly think these were "gone through".

If the coins had been gone through as some would suggest, I hardly expect that the Fulfillment Center would leave coins laying in the bottom of a shipping container anyway. IMO, all the opened SAE box/loose coin stories are simply poor packaging standards by the US Mint and the Fulfillment Center. Who knows, perhaps the coins are packaged in their blue boxes at order fulfillment time? Only a Fulfillment Employee knows for sure!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Wighty44, I applaud you in your quest to derive a realistic tally for the number of 2008/07 ASE coins that the Mint truly minted and released. .... These numbers represent alot of effort and simply a trend at best. Years will be needed to determine an accurate count. ... >>

Thank you... While I recognize my this effort is not a short-time endeavor, I applaude the PGCS forum members who have particiapted.

In contrast, my post in the NGC coin forum has been met with a nay-sayer's attitude. Fortunately it is presently only one person who persistently criticizes those who feel this error has value. I believe he's made his point and should leave it at that...image >>

Don't know if this is me, but I don't ever recall saying the error doesn't have value. BTW I have zero raw and 2 certified. It seems to me that the Mint has given some an unintended gift for which they should thankful, but now they want frosting on their cake too in terms of investment advice; that is holdem or foldem based on mintage numbers.
  • Options

<< <i> Don't know if this is me, but I don't ever recall saying the error doesn't have value. .... >>

No, I was not referring to anyone in the PGCS forums. If I had this type of concern with someone here, I would have discussed it with them via PM.

I only openly voiced the issue here because I was trying to show the vast difference between the two forums. ATS, the reception to my idea was met with a singular negative attitude. Whereas, in this forum some saw some merit in it - although it is not without certain inherent flaws.

It's an independant effort to see if anything meaningful comes of it. If not, then I alone have expended my time and effort. At least it's worth a try... image
  • Options
    lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960
    4 raws here, I used to have 8 image
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Options
    I don't think you can get a decent count of the total population of raw rev 07s out there by counting replies in a thread. What percentage to you think board members hold? 1% 2% 3%?
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    I have 2. (Got 'em both from Lope)
    Thanx Lope. image
  • Options

<< <i>I don't think you can get a decent count of the total population of raw rev 07s out there by counting replies in a thread. What percentage to you think board members hold? 1% 2% 3%? >>

I can't honestly say. I'll let the numbers fall out as they will. In the end, that value may suggest the answer your question.

I figured it's better to ask the question than to guess at an estimate - it can't hurt to try...

BTW, if any member is uncomfortable share their RAW count publically, feel feel to use a PM. And for the record, all member ID information I compile will be safeguarded. It is only used to ensure the RAW counts are not duplicated.
  • Options
    keezkeez Posts: 842
    I have 2 raw from the Mint

• Options
    4 raw and i want to sell 3
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    I have 2 raw sirloins and 3 raw boneless Chickens, They will be gone around 5pm tonight, grill is already heating up.image
  • Options
    I assumed that it was more a matter of poor packaging [5 little boxes and a little airbag in an oversized box] than it was rifling.

• Options
    ObiwancanoliObiwancanoli Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭
    Two Raw here... safely tucked away for... posterity? Yeah, right.

I had contemplated ordering a dozen, but I'm just an amateur. Small time. Rookie. Who knew? Since half what I ordered were the 07 reverse, I might have had me a windfall. Well, a collector's windfall anyway...

UBERCOINER

A Truth That's Told With Bad Intent
    Beats All The Lies You Can Invent
  • Options
    SUMORADA, 61 raw? Showoff!!!! LOL I have two, one NGC 69 Early Release, and one brown label NGC 69. I am thinking of cracking the brown label and putting it into an '08 rev'08 package, thusly having an ER 69, and a raw one in its packaging.

Hey, that leads me to ask....would it be deceiving if I were to crack that out, put it in a capsule, and mint packaging and calling it raw? Besides messing up the pops even more, is there any issue with ethics, in regard to doing this and selling it (should I decide to) down the road? What say you?

Oh, so, in a direct answer, I have 2, both NGC 69's, one ER, one brown label.
  • Options
    GeomanGeoman Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭
    Well, I finally got around to checking mine out and I was 0 for 5. image

I had 5 delivered to me a while ago on a subscription from the US Mint. Oh well.

Are any error coins still being shipping from the US Mint? Or has that stopped?
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    5 raw from the mint. I just submitted a box of 5 and 2 for first strike unopened. I found out today they were the regular 08s. I did get one MS 70 though. They were received from the mint on April 3. I have one more box of 5 from the same date that I probably won't submit.
  • Options
    I have 3 raw........
  • Options
    Although it is clear that this effort will take quite some time to develop, I must say that the contrast in support for it between the PCGS & NGC forum members is like night and day. image

Here there has been a general support for this arduous task, whereas ATS it has been met with a negative attitude and virtual lack of support. Over the first day, 20 members here have identified 111 RAW 07 rev errors for my compilation effort. Yet, ATS a similar post has seen only 1 meaningful reply (0 RAW). The forum view/reply stats were: PGCS - Not Shown/39; NGC - 90/4

I'd like to thank the forum members here for your support. Notwithstanding the comedians, you are good people! image
  • Options
    heavymetalheavymetal Posts: 570 ✭✭✭✭
    Out of 4 08W SAEs ordered from mint, 1 was a REV of 07 which has remained raw and has entered my collection. HM
  • Options
    doorman292doorman292 Posts: 38 ✭✭
    Ordered 15, received (14) 2008 rev 2007 and (1) 2008 rev 2008.....
    Immediately went and bought lottery ticket, no winner
  • Options
    FYI, I have placed an updated 2008W SAE 07 rev stats chart on this topic page.
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    2 raw.

Regards, John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    ibzman350ibzman350 Posts: 5,315
    Ordered 2, as I do each year, one of those is a rev. 07.

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file