Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1883 P Morgan Vam?

Pick'd this up on Heritage about 3 years ago or so. It's toned pretty good....One of those ones that changes colors depending on angle and light making
it kinda hard to get a good looking at.

I look'd on Vamworld and Vam update and am trying to figure it out by myself but am kinda puzzled with it. I notice a mention of a slanted date with the
83 high but no picture of it that I could find. It does look like doubling in the lower inside loop of the 3 but the tone is kinda strong on the 1

Is the 83 in the normal die state or is it high. This coin also has a double clash under the chin which kinda shows up in the photo but not as strong as it
actually is.

High Res Photo If Needed

Double clash at neck

Crack thru hair

Crack thru bonnet and letters U-M

Thanks,
Ken

Comments

• Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    Looks like possibly an early state of the VAM-12A. That VAM looks like Libertys neck was sprayed with rust. The later state, which I am more familiar with, has a break on the crack between the eights and another inside the lower loop of the second one.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    eyoung429eyoung429 Posts: 6,374
    first blush shows 12A Would need a closeup of the clash at the neck and a closeup of the date please.
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options
    eyoung429eyoung429 Posts: 6,374
    crap....John beat me to it.
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options
    Added a couple more photos

I'm not an expert but was thinking it looks more like an 11a as long as the 83 is in the normal postition.

Thanks,
    Ken

• Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    Definitely not an 11A. The die eorsion probably led to no letter transfer in the clashing. I think, looking at hte images added, it is probably VAM-13. I don't have one to corroborate the cracks. I do have the 11A, 12A and 18A, and that coin is none of them.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file