Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Want to complete my 1st Set any suggestions

I'd like to complete my first set. However, i need some advise. Which year should I start with?

I want to do Topps 1959 or 1961.

If I do PSA 7 can I also have 8,9 and 10 in the set or should they all be one grade. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    mkg809mkg809 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
    I would do one of the smaller sets. That way you actually see some progress. If I were to try a 600 card set I would lose my mind.
    I would just have a minimum grade and anything higher is a bonus.
    Just my opinion, I'm sure you will get many different ideas.

edited because speel check doesn't wokr
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1959 is a good one. All the sets have toughies though.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    I would stick with a smaller set, I am working on 55 topps 204 cards and it is agonizing, 63 fleer is a good small one, 66 cards but no Mantle, if you HAD to go with 59 or 61 I would say the 59. Nice colors, Gibson rookie, etc
  • Options
    ymareaymarea Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If I do PSA 7 can I also have 8,9 and 10 in the set or should they all be one grade. Thanks >>

Naturally, you can have your set consist of whatever grades you wish. They needn't all be the same. However, if you plan on going with 7's but can afford better, pass on all 7's right from the start and go for only the higher grades. It's been my experience that as my sets grow and improve in overall quality, suddenly 7's are no longer good enough. Then 8's, and so on. Many times I've bought a 7, only to keep upgrading until I end up with a 9 or 10. As I upgrade I sell off the lower-graded duplicates, but I never get as much as I paid. I have VERY BAD business sense. By the time I'm done I feel as though I've bought 2 complete sets. Although I really haven't, I definitely have spent enough money for two.

As for which one to start with, I agree with the previous post. Start with a smaller set. If you enjoy the experience, go large.
    Brett
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    Do a Bowman set. Great photography - not a huge checklist - many stars. Maybe 54. I like that set.
  • Options
    jeff8877jeff8877 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    Hi Scout...welcome to the boards. I may be able to help you get a head start on one of your sets. Send me an email and will see if I can help you out.

Jeff

jeff58@sbcglobal.net
  • Options
    Do what you like, what you can afford and a smaller set.

I went with the 33 goudey for my first(239 cards). It took two years then had 95% complete and upgrades and cards were out of price range. So I sold them off and started again. This time smaller: T118, T30 each with 25 cards.

Just do it!image
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    All depends on how much coin you have to spend and what grades you will be happy to have. If you are not looking to get a top rated set then I would do a 56 Topps BB set in psa 6 and 7. But if you are looking for a set where you would like to have some 9s and 10s then you will have to look in the 60s and 70s. JMHO.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    61 is easier than 59.
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Hey Scout,
    I am currently upgrading roughly 6 sets right now and I am getting those set from Robert Edward Auction tomorrow. If you are interested in ex+ quality sets from 1953 Bowman, 1954 Bowman , 1954 Topps and 1955 Topps let me know. I can sell you the complete set or individual cards depending on how many you would be interested in buying.

Regards,
    Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    I also suggest going smaller, especially for a first set. My first set was 1952 Topps in straight PSA 7. I'm glad I didn't wait to finish this one before moving on because I'm not sure I'll ever get it done. If you are sold on the 1959 and 1961 sets I suggest putting together a team set. The cards can be applied to a complete set down the road but it is also achieveable at reasonable cost and in a relatively short period of time. Pick your favorite team and get things started.

Learn some history of the game. Join a vintage base ball team in your area and get out there.
    Simsbury Taverneers
    My PSA Sets
  • Options
    Unless you have been collecting a raw set for awhile, in a condition worth grading, I would also go with a smaller set. I'm working on a 1960 set for over over a year (I had been collecting the set raw, with maybe 100-120 cards worthy of grading 7 or better) and I'm only at 40% complete.

I also started a 19-card autograph set (serial # to 50) and I just located the last card I needed and I'll be submitting the balance of the set to PSA this week...to complete my first PSA set!!

Even though I have about 100 cards from the 1960 set worthy of submitting to PSA, it's still going to be a long haul before I complete it... and it won't even finish in the top 20 current sets (unless a bunch of completed sets get broken up)
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> If you are sold on the 1959 and 1961 sets I suggest putting together a team set. The cards can be applied to a complete set down the road but it is also achieveable at reasonable cost and in a relatively short period of time. Pick your favorite team and get things started. >>

That is an excellent idea.
  • Options
    cohocorpcohocorp Posts: 1,371 ✭✭
    the 1952 topps basic set only has 407 cards.
  • Options
    hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    team building is a great way to start a set, focus on your team and maybe pick up a card or two of the rest of the set when a nice example comes up or a good deal arises,
    big sets are very tough to keep focus on. it seems i always want to start another set.
    working several sets at one time is fun because there is always something available but my sets build slower because of it.
    i am working on a 59 set but at a snails pace i currently have no focus on it , but it is always there to piecemeal together.(working from a phillies team then forward)

good luck , there are many many choices , in the end pick something that will make you happy and have fun with it!

hank
    currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options
    WinkWink Posts: 103 ✭✭
    I am amazed at people who want to complete a graded set from scratch. The $ you will spend is unreal. WOW. That said, maybe that is not a problem ...wish I could say the same.