Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

How the mighty have fallen.....

Link

These used to go for $150+ in the late 90s, and even $70-$80 up to a few years ago. Apparently people have stopped caring about Mike Piazza, which is kind of wierd because it's really hard to argue with his HOF credentials as a catcher. Wakefield and Kent have put together nice careers as well.

Comments

• GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Lee, you could always just sort of split the difference and send Andy @ $120.00 for this.

Y'know...for nostalgia's sake.
  • DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭
    You having early 90's flashbacks? First Donruss, now Fleer.
    What's next Classic Travel Editions?
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭✭
    yeah, Piazza retired (willingly or not) & no one cared
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Classic Travel Editions you say? Those are gold!!! I'm actually just randomly picking up early 90s stuff that I never had back in the day and always wanted.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,392 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember when the set was white hot!

I think Piazza is HOF material - tho many think he's an average catcher - his arm was average - that's fer sure.

If he were part of a WS winning team? That set would still be hot - perhaps?

mike
    Mike
  • Arguably, the best hitting and most popular catcher for quite awhile....

Yea, i picked up his fleer rc bgs 9 for like $35...hard to say no to that.
  • DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭
    Ha,
    I just picked up the Jorden SP1 from 91 upper deck a few weeks ago.
    Never could pull that damn card from a pack. Always wanted one, so,,,
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I purchased a 1993 Leaf Frank Thomas autograph the other day for $12. The next two that sold went for around $50 a piece. Funny market us Thomas collectors have.

I own a couple of these now, but I couldn't touch them as a kid. I couldn't pass up another one for $12.

Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Why is it always that people pay a lot of money in anticipation that someone will become an all-time great, then when it finally happens they don't want it anymore?
    Tom
  • Goodsport40Goodsport40 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭
    That is a great pickup, Lee. There are some good buys to be found on cool 90's stuff right now.

Robert
  • DrJDrJ Posts: 2,213

<< <i>Link

These used to go for $150+ in the late 90s, and even $70-$80 up to a few years ago. Apparently people have stopped caring about Mike Piazza, which is kind of wierd because it's really hard to argue with his HOF credentials as a catcher. Wakefield and Kent have put together nice careers as well. >>

This is a great tale as to why it does not pay to get caught up in the hype of a player during the early part of their career. Unless they end up as one of the all-time greats (Ruthian) their cards are only going to go down in value once their careers are over.

Great Example... I picked up both Mike Schmidt and Steve Carlton Rookies in PSA 6 for less than $60 each off of Ebay. When these guys were still playing and their stats were still climbing, you couldn't sniff their Rookies for less than a $150 in this same condition.

J
  • nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭
    Could it be that people are realizing that almost everything from that era was so overproduced?

I've also been buying a few items that I missed out on... cheap.

• << <i>That is a great pickup, Lee. There are some good buys to be found on cool 90's stuff right now.

Robert >>

Definately agree.
  • schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    Because modern card collectors are all about the next big thing. Once they become big, it's on to the next "next big thing".

Thanks for the heads-up about the 1992 Fleer Update set prices. I've been wanting to add one for a while now.

<< <i>Why is it always that people pay a lot of money in anticipation that someone will become an all-time great, then when it finally happens they don't want it anymore? >>

Who is Rober Maris?
  • I agree collection those new players is dumb. Their big now, and later fall.

I collect new stuff, but its only the HOF, won't take a chance with the new players. I must have wasted 10K to 15K on cards back in 99-00 with those new players, and they all went down, but now I stick with the HOF members only, you can't go wrong with them.

Giovanni
  • VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Could it be that people are realizing that almost everything from that era was so overproduced?

I've also been buying a few items that I missed out on... cheap. >>

Yeah, it's actually kind of fun this way though. I can put together whole sets of 80's garbage while reclaiming my childhood at the same time for the same price as a PSA 7 common for my 57 Topps Football set. i just did 91 Bowman the other day for like $16 for 2 boxes. I'm pretty close to having all the sets that I had when I was a kid in the late 80's. It's a good way to waste time while watching the NBA playoffs at night with my fiance is working late on a TV pilot. I think I'll do 88 Fleer BB this week...maybe 91 Score BB too...I just did 91 Score Hockey last week for $12 (2 boxes - 5 Brodeurs). If only I didn't hate the design of 92-94 Fleer basketball - I'd be all over those. It's just fun getting 9 Candy Maldanado, Fat Lever or Andy Moog cards and remember seeing them 20 years ago.
  • fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    The Modern Card Modo

Too much Supply ........ Not enough Demand

PS Piazza is a first ballet HOFer, 2nd best catcher of all time IMO

IRod
    Piazza
    Berra
    Bench
    Dickey
    Cochrane
    Lombardi
  • carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why is it always that people pay a lot of money in anticipation that someone will become an all-time great, then when it finally happens they don't want it anymore? >>

The bottom line is that the nostalgia that will always give value to Mantle, Aaron and the like is gone. Baseball is not what it once was.

All you can do with Modern cards is to profit from a hot streak and get out.

Loves me some shiny!
  • VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The Modern Card Modo

IRod
    Piazza
    Berra
    Bench
    Dickey
    Cochrane
    Lombardi >>

Ummm, you're forgetting Carlton Fisk in there sir.
  • I believe there may be plenty of demand for piazza's fleer rookie....it's just there is a whole lot more supply.
    I wonder how many 1968 bench 6's there are compared to 1992 fleer piazza 9s? (figuring some prefer his bowman to fleer also)
    I personally would rather have a piazza 9 than a bench 6.
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭
    Not to state the obvious but it's just simple supply and demand.

I disagree. I think it's demand and supply.
  • thekid8thekid8 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The Modern Card Modo

IRod
    Piazza
    Berra
    Bench
    Dickey
    Cochrane
    Lombardi >>

Ummm, you're forgetting Carlton Fisk in there sir. >>

and
    Gary Carter
    Gary Carter Fans check out www.thekid8.com

• NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

IRod
    Piazza
    Berra
    Bench
    Dickey
    Cochrane
    Lombardi >>

Ummm, you're forgetting Carlton Fisk in there sir. >>

and
    Gary Carter
    >>

Roy Campanella.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • ndleondleo Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone think that Jeff Kent has a shot at the HOF? His career compares favorably to Ryno except for the fact no one likes him. I looked up his stats and they are pretty impressive.

Jeff Kent
    Mike
    Yeah, I did too and was shocked by what he's accumulated over his career as a 2B. Batting in front of Bonds certainly helped, but his stats are definitely HOF caliber regardless. If he was more likeable he'd definitely be in there. It's hard to explain, but he's just not that memorable.
  • marginal...i would be surprised if he got in on first ballot...will probably make it later ballots unless he either really puts up some great numbers in his last years.
  • julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    he did manage to outpoint bonds and get mvp.

he also got choked in the dugout,
    but that was the steroids talking, not the real barry we have all come to know & love.

bonds > clemens (who'd a thunk it?)

j
    RIP GURU
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does anyone think that Jeff Kent has a shot at the HOF? His career compares favorably to Ryno except for the fact no one likes him. I looked up his stats and they are pretty impressive.

Jeff Kent >>

I think Kent has the ML record for most career Home Runs as a 2nd Baseman (not bad on your resume')
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.