Home U.S. Coin Forum

A goofy ebay situation/Bidder to Block...**FINAL UPDATE**

Guy buys 1 coin from me for 306.50 checks out and sends message saying check will we mailed shortly,, a few hours later he wins a second identical coin for 189.50. A few hours later he asks if I will honor combine shipping. I responded that the shipping charge is exactly what it will cost, but I told him I would go ahead and reduce by 4 bucks, it was 14.00, so that makes it 10. Then later he sends a message saying well I see you have a return policy so how bout you cancel my purchase for the 306.50, and he didn't want me to get mad at him cause he was taking full responsibility for his bids but he would then work with me to help me avoid ebay fees. I replied well the return policy is "if item is not described" and not a free ride on the market, but that I would be agreeable to canceling both, or the second one.....I then thought about it and sent another message saying you know what, We should just mutually cancel them both...He responded, Do we really have to cancel both? Guys got a high feedback, or at least to me 400+ with only 1 neg that looks like it was removed....Good Golly, and I'm trying to be a good guy here cause I'm a lover, not a fighter....image

Comments

• adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Sure, it is aggrivating. But imagine yourself behind the counter of a brick and mortar shop; what would you do in this case? Tell him to leave or sell him the coin he wants? These eBay things aren't technically auctions even though they pass the 'duck' test.

Just sell him the coin he wants.

The customer is always right.

• Sounds like this guy is needs a lesson in responsible bidding. I wish ebay had an online tutorial course and when someone screws up they get "sentenced" to complete the course before they can continue on ebay. Sort of like driving school when you get nabbed speeding.
  • dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    Hmm...well, part of me is saying, "screw him, he made a legally binding contract, make him pay." But I suppose if I were in the situation I'd try to avoid conflict....and then I'd block him and out him here so we can all avoid this idiot buyer.
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    screwed either way. Part your deal for listing 2 identical coins that close together. Might send the first auction a 2nd chance offer for the bid if it is close? What did you sell? $120 dollar difference on same coins seems like a large swing.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • 09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭
    Try to settle it with him paying you the extra EBay fees and then block him.
  • He bid. He won. He abides by your auction specs. It ain't much easier than that.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>He bid. He won. He abides by your auction specs. It ain't much easier than that. >>

Thats true but if you have a no questions asked return policy and he tells you that he is going to return it then why would you bother with forcing him to complete it?
    theknowitalltroll;
    It looks like the OP had a return policy of "if the item is not as described".

And it looks like the OP saturated the market by listing two identical items so close together.

The buyer should have been smarter about this too.

If I were the buyer, i'd probably take my lumps. If I were the seller, I would probably take my lumps also.

This is an interesting, goofy situation, isn't it?

• << <i>

<< <i>He bid. He won. He abides by your auction specs. It ain't much easier than that. >>

Thats true but if you have a no questions asked return policy and he tells you that he is going to return it then why would you bother with forcing him to complete it? >>

The cost of returning it may instill a small sense of responsibility in him.
  • ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sounds like this guy is needs a lesson in responsible bidding. I wish ebay had an online tutorial course and when someone screws up they get "sentenced" to complete the course before they can continue on ebay. Sort of like driving school when you get nabbed speeding. >>

I LOVE it

Make him go thru the motions and follow thru. He pays return mail fees and you borrow his $$$ for a week or so for free....teach him a lesson
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • direwolf1972direwolf1972 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sounds like this guy is needs a lesson in responsible bidding. I wish ebay had an online tutorial course and when someone screws up they get "sentenced" to complete the course before they can continue on ebay. Sort of like driving school when you get nabbed speeding. >>

My eBay account got hacked a while back. eBay agreed that what happened wasnt my fault but I got sentenced to a mandatory eBay safety course about how to avoid having your account hacked. Why not a course on responsible bidding.
    I'll see your bunny with a pancake on his head and raise you a Siamese cat with a miniature pumpkin on his head.

You wouldn't believe how long it took to get him to sit still for this.

• Will you make money on the $190 sale? If so I'd sell him that one, mutually agree to not complete the first one and block this guy from future bids.

If you lose money at $190 I'd probably to the same as above but would make it a bit harder for him...
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>Will you make money on the $190 sale? If so I'd sell him that one, mutually agree to not complete the first one and block this guy from future bids.

If you lose money at $190 I'd probably to the same as above but would make it a bit harder for him... >>

Well, I haven't heard back from bozo at all today, think maybe he's ignoring the issue. (A) Not that easy, lets see, I had bidders on second and third at 299 and 304 on the first, I tried the second chance thing but the bidders had plenty to look at.... I figured I'd have grossed around 230 on that one. For the second one, figure 120 gross, and probably had 115 gross without bozo. So by my figures, I go from around $350 gross, to $120, ahh I know it's just change but hey now prices are going back up....so maybe bozo will change his mind again.....These are the 68 dollar eagles I picked up from GVC....So to recap: he buys both from me, 1 at 306 and later buys another for 189, and now wants me to cancel the 306 and just sell him the 1 for 189, and today he goes awol....I'll update ...Thanks Guys...

<< <i>Sure, it is aggrivating. But imagine yourself behind the counter of a brick and mortar shop; what would you do in this case? Tell him to leave or sell him the coin he wants? These eBay things aren't technically auctions even though they pass the 'duck' test.

Just sell him the coin he wants.

The customer is always right.

image >>

[A] Ok, so I'm behind the counter, same situation, I wouldn't tell him to leave, I'd throw his azz right through the front window....Customer is not always right, that's rhetoric BS...
    The B+M analogy isn't very good I admit...as it would require that you mis-priced two identical items. In such a case...a retailer had better honor the posted price or it is a bait and switch. But that's clearly not the case here. You did not price your items. The underbidder did.

When I posted this morning, I didn't read carefully enough to see that both items were identical. This buyer is a goofball and managed to screw up both auctions simultaneously. But you saturated the market...next time space them out. After some thought...i'd go with forcing the buyer to go through with both transactions or to cancel both transactions, either one followed by a bidder block and then a posting here so that this goofball can be blocked by other sellers who don't want to deal with that. You may have to eat eBay fees if you go the double cancellation route. I would have a problem with the buyer gaming me like this...why should he force the more expensive transaction to be a loss for you and at the same time why should he benefit from the cheaper transaction?

Some of these eBay transactions go poorly, don't they?

And yes, "the customer is always right" is rhetoric BS. I had hoped my visual aid would help there.

[edit] (I must have been real happy this morning or something. What the heck did I say?!?)

• vplitevplite Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭
    I would go with the buyer's offer to buy the cheaper coin, and work with you on fees. You know that first coin is just coming back. It is your job to do business, not teach anyone a lesson.
    The Golden Rule: Those with the gold make the rules.
    Update: Well, in further efforts to work this through with Bozo I gave him several options 1) cancel both 2) cancel second one 3)complete both the split on the 2 would have been $248 each, and just to get it done I said I'd throw in 3 2007 W ASE's with mint boxes and coa's for this option only. Figuring the 3 ase's worth around 75 bucks, that would dropped his cost per item to 210 each, seemed like a good idea cause I figured I'm gonna take a hit with listing fees, bells and whistles etc....and he chose....after what he said was a long and hard look at option 3................and comparing the 07-W raw price with the 07-W ngc 69 price......................................................he chose..............................................................................

Option 1 cancel both, mutually agree not to complete both transactions..............I'll report back when it is done. I didn't see it as saturating the market, my listings were spaced with absolute precision based on data compilation graphics and astronomical information relayed from NASA......image
    Ok, so it's all done, did the unpaid item mutual withdraw for both auctions that he won, I also thought it was nice that it pulled up block bidder which I definately added him to the sh*t list....here is a link to the first one he won.....link

<< <i>I'll report back when it is done. I didn't see it as saturating the market, my listings were spaced with absolute precision based on data compilation graphics and astronomical information relayed from NASA...... >>

So you visited www.weather.com in between the two listings?

Thanks for the update. BLOCKED.

Interesting that this guy did not take you up on your very generous offer.

I have one of these special reverses as well...later today, I might have more! In fact, I think I see a die gouge or cud or something.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shirking one's duty is being irresponsible.
    I normally say : "the customer is always right". However, this guy isn't a customer. He's a tire kicker. He closed the deal when the auction ended and he was at the top of the heap. PERIOD.
    My business would be closed to him.

HE>I

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file