Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Clemente 3000th Hit Ticket Stub

Just thought I'd share the link to this very cool item.

LINK
Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com

Comments

• Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    cubfan89cubfan89 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭
    I have a quick question. Why do some people get their tickets back and there is no grade? It just says "authentic". I notice this at the trade show I went to a few weeks back. I was just wondering why some people do this. Isn't the whole point of paying for grading having them graded? I have a small collection of tickets I've been saving for 15 years or so. I want to send them in but I am kind of nervous since I found out how tough they seem to be on ticket grading. A buddy sent some of his in and I swear before he sent them I looked and cound't find one thing wrong with them and some came back as 6's or 7's. I was shocked!
  • Options
    WoW! $800 bucks! Yikes!
  • Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    They seem to grade tickets tougher than cards even. And tickets/stubs by there very nature for the most part end up going to the games with you. Unless you take your tickets in card savers or something, the are going to get "de-minted". Until recently there wasn't much interest in collecting tickets for value - it was cheap and fun. I used to trade with guys and we'd just send each other envelopes jammed with tickets without regard to how much they were worth.

I sent in some nice WS ticket stubs and was horrified at the grades. I won't be doing that again. You can actually get more money for most WS tickets raw than slabbed UNLESS high graded. I have found that ticket collectors for the most part don't care about the grade/slabbing. It's the higher end speculators/flippers that drive the top of the market.

At $25 a shot it's not worth it to me.
  • Options
    That is awesome. I would love to own that. A little out of my price range though.
  • Options
    Ya I've noticed some people don't even have them graded and just put them encased and "authentic" on the label. Just wondering why a lot of people seem to be doing this.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I'd love to own that ticket stub too. Chalk it up to one of those things I hope to stumble upon one day, hidden in the base boards or something.

Or a dumpster...
  • Options
    Just curious as to what nice WS tickets you sent in and the actual grades you got back. What grade did you think you were going to get prior to sending them?
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any piece of memorabilia from a 3000 hit game is too cool - the price is high but I'm not surprised!

Clemente must have a serious and loyal following.

Thanx for sharing.
    mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Ya I've noticed some people don't even have them graded and just put them encased and "authentic" on the label. Just wondering why a lot of people seem to be doing this. >>

//////////////////////////////////////////////////

Many folks do it to maintain the financial viability of the item.

PSA grades tickets very strictly. A ticket in a 5/6 slab is a hope-killer
    in the retail market. A ticket that would pull a three - but is slabbed
    "authentic" - keeps hope alive to the average buyer.
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭✭
    The set registry drives a lot of these ticket prices. Older vintange tickets from the mid 70's back are extremely scarce, therefore very few ever come up, let alone what condition they are in.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    I kind of get what you're saying. Do you think that Clemente stub would have gotten more money if it wasn't graded and just slabbed "authentic?" If I'm going to pay to get my collection of tickets graded, might as well get your money's worth.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I don't think being slabbed authentic would have changed the outcome of the price on this auction.

I think that price would have been realized for any version of that ticket graded under 7. Anything higher would have seen a higher closing cost. Both Clemente collectors and registry contestants drove this one.
  • Options
    "Do you think that Clemente stub would have gotten more money if it wasn't graded and just slabbed "authentic?" "

///////////////////////////////////

I dunno.

BUT, 2 is a pretty low number.

For most tickets that I think would grade below 6, I would likely go authentic only.

Having to educate/convince buyers that a 2 or a 5 is a relatively good grade, is troublesome.

To folks who do not understand the grading standards, the subject Clemente would likely
    look BETTER than a "2." Thus, an "authentic" label might advantage a seller.

The Clemente cult is not the best illustration of the point. They will buy almost anything. And,
    sophisticated buyers know that a "good" ticket is much more scarce than an "excellent" card.

I have graded a number of Perez-Steele autos. I always auth ONLY; for the same reason.
  • Options
    Awesome ticket, hope to own one someday. That is also his last regular season game ever played, which is why the price ran up so high.
  • Options

<< <i>Clemente must have a serious and loyal following. >>

He is considered a God here in Pittsburgh and 10 times that in Puerto Rico.
  • Options
    At the same time, if you're a buyer and see it labeled "authentic", you really don't know what type of condition the ticket is in your buying.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    This one is not labeled 'authentic' it was graded a two.

Not sure I understand what you mean Cubfan.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I wasn't talking about the Clemete ticket, just any ticket that doesn't have a grade.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool. In my opinion I think tickets such as this are greatly undervalued.
  • Options

<< <i>

BUT, 2 is a pretty low number.

For most tickets that I think would grade below 6, I would likely go authentic only. >>

I have had numerous tickets come back below 6 and they sold very well. A set registry guy gets more points if a ticket has a number grade between 2 and 6 compared to authentic.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    "I have had numerous tickets come back below 6 and they sold very well. A set registry guy gets more points if a ticket has a number grade between 2 and 6 compared to authentic. "

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Yup.

If the registry were to continue to drive prices, numerical grades would
    be safe longterm.

I have found non-registry newbies do not like low numbers.

A 6 is a SUPER strong ticket. Experienced buyers know that; newbies
    generally do not.
  • Options
    I agree with you storm that a 6 is super strong. I've seen several 6 and 7's and couldn't find one darn thing wrong with them.
  • Options
    well the reason why these come back so low epsecially on tickets that should be graded high is because the grading companies are only good for BULK submissions alot of people do not like or trust grading companies. and as others have stated that is the reason collectors and small time dealers are now getting the grade as authentic supose to getting an actual grade and if its from the 30's 40's 50's or 60's condition is just one factor amongst other factors such as how often its avaible how hard it is to find i think in my personal opinion for those decades Rarirty holds more power in the value of an item then condition unless is really bad like torn or ripped or written on but if there a creases or even an unclean tear from the usher that really shouldnt affect the price especially if the stub is rare and hard to find. you also have to take into account how many of these tickets were sold to each game most likely 50,000 to a baseball game and if only half kept there stubs 25,000 in circulation and most put them in scrapped books so there going to be damaged on the back so that is normal, most cards then and now are produced in 100,000's. im sorry for you guys that sent in your stubs which were probably in better condition then the grade you got. i for on will never get a grade put on one and would only send in tickets from the 30's 40's 50's and 60's and get a grade of "auth" and only when PSA has there sales on submiting tickets. good luck to all of you in your ticket collecting!
    feel free to look around My site and bookmark it www.everythingcollectibles.biz in your web browsers favorites list and check back often as im updating daily with new items!
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    Is this ticket worth anything? It's from game 5 of the 72 nlcs, clemente's last game ever played.

• Options
    Put it on the bay and see what happens. For a while, someone was selling Clemente's last regular season game stub. This would be the game after the 3,000 hit game. In this game, he went hitless.
    >