Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Pedly-Ryan & Co. Silver Round

Picked this up at a show today for $175. I've seen them posted here before----does anyone know anything about them. The person who sold it to me said only 500 were produced.

Also, is it of any significance that much of the lettering on the 1933 side have been repunched?

Comments

• Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    Not THAT rare with double punch. Yours looks pretty scratched. THese are a bugger to grade as the surfaces are fully exposed with no raised rim.
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    i do not know anything about but isn't that one expensive ounce
    of silver? ;-)

430 grains = 0.982857143 ounces
  • Options
    The only true scratches are the ones between the words "Pedley-Ryan" and "Denver." All the other scratches aren't really scratches, just kinda surface disturbances that caught the light.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The repunching is not unusual. Neither adds nor detracts from the piece.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>i do not know anything about but isn't that one expensive ounce
    of silver? ;-)

430 grains = 0.982857143 ounces >>

I never could figure out what in the heck they meant by using 430 grains. If anybody knows, please enlighten me.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Grain
    An ancient unit which was originally based on the weight of a grain of wheat. The grain is the smallest unit of weight in the avoirdupois, troy, and apothecaries systems. Surprisingly it is identical in all three systems.
    4 grains = 1 carat
    24 grains =1 pennyweight
    480 grains = 1 troy ounce
    5760 grains = 1 troy pound
    437.5 grains = 1 ounce avoirdupois
    7000 grains = 1 pound avoirdupois
    1 grain = 0.0648 grams (0.06479891)
    15.432 grains = 1 gram

Grain
    Although we have stated above that the grain weighted the same in all three of the above systems, there were at least two different grains. The troy system used the supposed weight of the barley grain, whereas the wheat grain was also used as a standard of weight. There were three barley grains to four wheat grains.
  • Options

<< <i>4 grains = 1 carat >>

I don't care what system you use, but any carrot I've ever seen has been a LOT more than 4 grains of wheat or barley! image
  • Options

<< <i>

I don't care what system you use, but any carrot I've ever seen has been a LOT more than 4 grains of wheat or barley! image >>

I guess you never saw the carrots I grew in my garden image . Lamest carrots I ever did see.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I don't care what system you use, but any carrot I've ever seen has been a LOT more than 4 grains of wheat or barley! image >>

I guess you never say the carrots I grew in my garden image . Lamest carrots I ever did see. >>

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

of silver? ;-)

There are 480 grains in a Troy ounce. You may want to recheck your math. (Hint: 430 divided by 480 is a lot less than 0.98285....).

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Anyone know why they picked such an odd weight of 430 grains rather than an even ounce?

• Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone know why they picked such an odd weight of 430 grains rather than an even ounce? >>

I always figured it was because they wanted it to have about the same value (silver wise) as a Morgan or Peace dollar.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Anyone know why they picked such an odd weight of 430 grains rather than an even ounce? >>

I always figured it was because they wanted it to have about the same value (silver wise) as a Morgan or Peace dollar. >>

The Morgan dollar has a lot less silver than 430 grains. The Morgan has only about 0.77 Troy ounces of silver.

• Options

<< <i>

of silver? ;-)

There are 480 grains in a Troy ounce. You may want to recheck your math. (Hint: 430 divided by 480 is a lot less than 0.98285....). >>

1 ounce = 437.5 grains

1 troy ounce = 480 grains

come again?
  • Options
    the use and popularity of silver as a medium of exchange, started a "Buy-an-Ounce-of-Silver" campaign Jan. 5, 1933. Silver at that time was in very limited demand, bar silver being quoted at 27 cents an ounce. Up to that time, the minimum amount of silver traded in on the big markets for actual delivery was 25,000 ounces, and this amount had been sold only since summer 1932.

On Jan. 5, Pedley-Ryan began its sale of round, rimless, plain-edge discs. Size of a standard U.S. dollar, they contained one ounce of silver, 430 grains 99 per cent fine. The slugs were sold three for a dollar and Pedley-Ryan was to redeem them at prevailing market prices of silver. It was believed that thousands of investors throughout the country would purchase the "dollars" and would realize large profits when silver reached the 16 to 1 ratio hoped for by the silver bloc. Silver mining interests in Colorado and elsewhere would, in the meantime, benefit from an increased market for silver.

The campaign, which enabled even the smallest investor to speculate, ended in late summer. Sales had not reached anticipated goals. After that, Pedley-Ryan (later known as the Cow Gulch Oil Co.) sold bars of 1000 ounces only.
  • Options

perry, you need to stop mixing and matching one troy ounce with an
    ounce!

is my opinion ;-)
  • Options
    Anybody have some of these raw they can weigh?
    Maybe the guy making the punch was supposed to have said "480" and he screwed up?
    430 grains is not an ounce in either system.
  • Options
    fc---Silver and other precious metal are weighed in Troy Ounces---never in Avoidupois ounces.

• Options
    By the way, please fix the title of the thread. It's Pedley, not Redly
  • Options

<< <i>fc---Silver and other precious metal are weighed in Troy Ounces---never in Avoidupois ounces. >>

then feel free to explain why they choose 430 grains :-)
    i just threw it out there and my math was more then correct but you
    come along and start mixing up ounce and troy ounce like they are the
    same thing ;-)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file