Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are there fake pedigreed coins around?

RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was discussing the counterfeit coin/counterfeit slab situation with a fellow numismatist, and he replied that now, more than ever, provenance may be critical. With that in mind, does anyone know of any examples of coins that were altered to resemble one from a particular well-known collection? I mean adding toning or a mark or such to resemble a coin with a known ownership chain in order to pass the coin off as such.

Comments

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know of an altered coin, but I'm aware of a rare seated dollar with the wrong provenance on it due to its similar toning pattern. Being an old auction catalog buff, I immediately recognized what collection it really came from.
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    << Are there fake pedigreed coins around? >>

I hope not; but if there arn't now I sure the Chinese have some in the works image
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Why not? Where these is demand there will be supply, authentic or not.
  • Options
    Talk to James Garcia image
  • Options
    firstmintfirstmint Posts: 1,171
    TDN said it correctly. You need to have the old auction catalogues to determine what the coins looked like in the past.

Having just completed a Registry of 1827/3/2 Bust Quarters (to be included in Steve Tompkins' new early quarter book due out this summer) it was remarkable to see the changes that these coins have gone through in between slabbings.

Prior to the 1980s, most of the rare coins were left alone and the toning patterns were the same from one auction to the next. With the advent of TPG's and the "promotional" numerical grading system, most of the rare coins have been "played with and doctored" so much as to make them seem to be different examples.

More than ever, the need for accurate pedigrees is absolutely essential for the expensive rarities.

A quality reference library requires the auction catalogues already on the shelf before bidding at auction or outright purchase.
    PM me if you are looking for U.S. auction catalogs
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies, but most are missing the mark just a little. I am looking for an example of a coin that was intentionally altered to pass for one from a famous collection or one that was otherwise fraudulently labeled as such.

<< <i>I don't know of an altered coin, but I'm aware of a rare seated dollar with the wrong provenance on it due to its similar toning pattern. Being an old auction catalog buff, I immediately recognized what collection it really came from. >>

This is close. Can you share the example? Do you think the miscategorization was accidental or intentional...or would you rather not say?

Talk to James Garcia

It is unclear in this example whether the Norweb Hibernia was accidentally mislabeled as such by PCGS or whether they were duped. In fairness to both parties, there are quite a few Norweb Hibernias (ironically, I even own one!), and not all have images in the catalog.

Prior to the 1980s, most of the rare coins were left alone and the toning patterns were the same from one auction to the next. With the advent of TPG's and the "promotional" numerical grading system, most of the rare coins have been "played with and doctored" so much as to make them seem to be different examples.

While a related point, this is also not what I am looking for. We have seen here numerous of examples of coins being altered and showing up in successive auctions or in an auction and then offered by a retailer with different appearances (toned to white, white to toned, etc.).

I am also not talking about coins that have lost their connection to their provenance and then were reconnected. I have found a few of these lost coins and consider this to be one of my great interests in the hobby.

I am specifically seeking examples of coins that were clearly not from a famous collection but altered to appear like they were and passed of as such.
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I am specifically seeking examples of coins that were clearly not from a famous collection but altered to appear like they were and passed of as such. >>

I am not aware of any such case.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coin in Question

I would guess it was accidental as the true provenance is just as good as the mistaken one.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I was discussing the counterfeit coin/counterfeit slab situation with a fellow numismatist, and he replied that now, more than ever, provenance may be critical. With that in mind, does anyone know of any examples of coins that were altered to resemble one from a particular well-known collection? I mean adding toning or a mark or such to resemble a coin with a known ownership chain in order to pass the coin off as such. >>

absolutely there are, quite a few actually. look at any # of electros of famous coppers, just as a obvious example. a certain '94 dollar comes to mind as well....

K S

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file