Home Sports Talk
Options

Best pitcher of this era ?

jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
Generally considered the best starting pitchers of recent times are;

Alpha order= Roger Clemens, Randy Johnson, Greg Maddux, and Pedro Martinez.

There are many stats, situations, and opinions, to make a case for any of them, as the best.

Without starting into piles of numbers, at the begining, I'll select Pedro M. as the best.
Any other thoughts ??
This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.

Comments

• Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    I'll go with Maddux. To pile up 347 career wins with precision pitching (as opposed to power pitching) is simply amazing.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I'll go with Pedro as well followed by Maddux.

I was at Yankee stadium one night and after (I think) hitting a batter and giving up a hit he retired 27 straight batters
    striking out 17!

The list you made could also include Schilling.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    the four listed would be in order as follows:

Clemens
    Maddux
    Martinez
    Johnson

and to be honest it's close among all four and you could probably interchange names on this list and no matter what order it would look good.....as for a reliever I would go with Mariano Rivera even though I'm not a Yankees fan.
  • Options
    I don't think you can put Clemens on that list now that we know he didn't achieve his stats naturally.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    Greg Maddux
    then clemens
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, but the problem with that statement is that you don't know about the other guys either. Let's face, the Mitchell report was just the tip of iceberg.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't think you can put Clemens on that list now that we know he didn't achieve his stats naturally. >>

Unless you stuck needles into Clemens' rear, you don't "know" anything.

As for this era, I would go with:

Clemens
    Oswalt
    Unit
    The Professor
    Pedro
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    oswalt? c'mon! He is very, very good, but smoltz belongs on this list before oswalt.

I would put pedro at the top..
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>oswalt? c'mon! He is very, very good, but smoltz belongs on this list before oswalt. >>

Nuh-uh!

Roy is better cuz I said so.

So there.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    I think that Pedro has missed too many starts due to injuries to be crowned the best of the era, but when he was young and healthy he was a wizard among troglodytes.
  • Options
    santana. hands down. pedro will make him even better.
  • Options
    kadokakidkadokakid Posts: 426 ✭✭
    I think it should be best starters of this era. Aren't any pitchers left. Pitchers used to complete games, not come out after hitting a pitch count.

Modern day $ussies.

Peace
    Trying to complete 1970 psa set.
    45% complete.
  • Options
    This one's actually pretty easy... before we knew Clemens juiced it up, it would have been almost a dead-heat between him and Maddux (almost identical career wins & WHIP). Now that we know (yes, know!) that Clemens juiced, Maddux would have to be at the top of the list.

Career wins, longevity, superior fielding, amazingly low BB allowed... and, almost the most impressive is that until the last few years (especially in Chicago 2004-06), he gave up very few HR's in an era where juiced up guys belted more HR's than at any other time in baseball history. Maddux... hands down!
    Jim G
    All-time favorite athletes:
    Steve Sax, Steve Garvey, Larry Bird, Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Andre Agassi, Karch Kiraly, Wayne Gretzky, Ichiro Suzuki, Andres Galarraga, Greg Maddux.
    "Make the world a better place... punch both A-Rods in the face (Alex Rodriguez and Andy Roddick)!"
  • Options
    ...of the last 20 years

Maddux
    Clemens
    Johnson
    Pedro
    Smoltz
    Glavine
  • Options

Picks left Player W L ERA G GS CG SHO SV SVO IP H R ER HR HBP BB SO
    1. G Maddux* 347 214 3.11 711 707 109 35 0 --- 4814.1 4522 1876 1665 332 131 969 3273
    2. T Glavine* 303 199 3.51 669 669 56 25 0 --- 4350.0 4231 1860 1695 345 65 1463 2570
    3. R Johnson* 284 150 3.22 566 556 98 37 2 --- 3855.1 3065 1556 1381 368 182 1422 4616
    4. P Martinez* 209 93 2.80 447 380 46 17 3 --- 2673.2 2046 918 833 213 131 708 3030
    5. J Smoltz* 207 145 3.26 702 461 53 16 154 --- 3367.0 2954 1328 1221 275 54 984 2975

just to put all of these guys next to each other.

I still gotta give the edge to Pedro for most dominant. If you pitch for 16 seasons and still have an era under 3.00, you are a bad man. Maddux is also very easy to pick at #1, could go either way.

imagey
  • Options
    augustamanaugustaman Posts: 583 ✭✭
    Pedro will not have the career stats to put next to
    these other guys due to injuries but.............
    in his prime, when he was healthy he was the best
    pitcher hands down.
    Bill
    wpkoughan@yahoo.com
    Collecting 1970-1979 PSA 9 & 10 Baseball Cards
  • Options
    Greg Maddux
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Best pitcher for 1 season Pedro or Johnson in prime.

Best pitcher for 10 seasons, Maddox, easily. He will get about as much respect as Warren Spahn (viritually none) when it's all said and done which is a shame as they might be the 2 best pitchers of all time.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    THE ROCKET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Maddux had one of those 19 and 2 seasons too.

I think it was during the strike yr.

Not only could he pitch but he could also field his pos. too.

With all that said I'm still in favor of Pedro, not by much mind you.

The list of 4 or 5 guys could interchange.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    Some people do know first hand of giving Clemens HGH! I don't even think a video tape with all the available evidence would convince Rog's fanatics. Heck, I'm not even sure if Clemens came out and admitted it would convince people. Knowing their stupidity they would make something up like "He just admitted it to get the heat off, blah, blah, blah." Who cares anyway. Those guys can sit with their pants around their ankles while watching that guy lie to them. That is their jolly, so be it.

The answer to the question really falls down two ways.

1) The pitcher who saved the most runs from his pitching is Clemens.

2) Pedro Martinez is the guy who saved runs at the greatest RATE....but his lack of IP(even in his dominant seasons) means his value to his team is lessened compared to a guy who saved runs at a smidge less rate, but did it over 40 more IP per season.

For instance, when Maddux led the league three straight years in ERA, he also led the league those three years in IP. Two of those seasons were strike years, which hurts his runs saved total.

So if you are paying Pedro 15 Million, you better ear mark a hefty sum for a good set up man and closer too! Of course, like a poster said above, a closer is needed for pretty much all the guys from this era.

• Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    Good analysis, Hoopster,
    A solid case can be made for each.

However,
    Using a traditional way of judging a pitcher, his W-L percentage;
    Pedro ( despite a few Expo sesons ) = .692, Clemens = .658, Maddux = .619

Using a more modern method, Adjusted ERA +;
    Perdo has the best career mark of all time, tops even Lefty Grove and Walter Johnson,
    Pedro has the best single seasom mark ever, of any pitcher, post 1900

Just feel Pedro is the ace moundsman of his time.

This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    If all 4 of those guys were pitching on TV at the same time in their prime, and you could only watch one, who would it be? I say Pedro, hands down. Anything was possible for 1998-2002 Pedro - no hitter, 20K's, bean ball wars. The most electrifying pitcher I've ever seen.
  • Options
    ssdawg77ssdawg77 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All are great choices and could top any list, depending on the criteria for the list. To me the pitcher of this era is John Smoltz. His stats are good, weak compared to some of the others that have been mentioned, but his overall value as a team player and leader far exceeds any name mentioned above not to mention his off the field contributions in the Atlanta area. Smoltz has the most post season wins (could be wrong on this due to the lack of playoff games the last few years) and over 150 career saves when he couldn't go every 5th day. Some may down play all of this but thats my pick for pitcher of this era.

Enjoying everyones opinion.

Stoney
  • Options

<< <i>I think it should be best starters of this era. Aren't any pitchers left. Pitchers used to complete games, not come out after hitting a pitch count.

Modern day $ussies.

Peace >>

What about pitchers from previous generations who would pace themselves through the course of the game? That has to be seen as even worse than giving way to a fresh and stronger arm

Modern day $ussies who win is always superior to macho players who lose

Top 10 of this generation in order
    Clemens
    Maddux
    Johnson
    Martinez
    Glavine
    Schilling
    Mussina
    Brown
    Smoltz

Funny to think that Clemens was at one time seen as the top pitcher of the generation that included Saberhagen and Gooden. It is mind boggling to think anyone could have about eight seasons where he was the best pitcher in the league, and another six or seven where he would be the ace on most teams in the league, and another six or seven where he was still very good, perhaps even All-Star level. That is definitely ahead of Maddux, even if only slightly

It seems clear that Clemens used drugs, but as always, Major League Baseball gave him permission to do so even if the government said he shouldn't. I wonder what was going on in the minds of players who chose not to, were they unaware or did they know they had the option but did not. And was it because they valued their health or they didn't want to break the law. To me, the possibility that some of his competition didn't know enough about illegal activies to make a choide is enough of an issue to drop him below Walter Johnson on any All-Time list, but no further than that

Martinez had the best two consecutive in history in 99 and 00 (and probably best three consecutive seasons also). But the three ahead of him on the list have the most Cy Young awards in history and pitched an additional 1 000 or 2 000 innings

Give Smoltz credit for the four years he was a reliever and he is ahead of Schilling

As a pitcher Rivera would rank fifth ahead of Glavine
    Tom
  • Options

<< <i>I don't think you can put Clemens on that list now that we know he didn't achieve his stats naturally. >>

Having arm surgery in your 20s is not natural either but is a part of the game for this generation. . .
    Tom
  • Options
    I would have said Clemens, but not any more.
    Maddux. I have see this guy pitch alot over the years, and he is incredible.
    Pinpoint control and a great 2 seam fastball. Maybe the best one ever.
    He'll throw the same 2 pitches over and over, and you still can't hit him.
  • Options

<< <i>

Clemens
    Maddux
    Johnson
    Martinez
    Glavine
    Schilling
    Mussina
    Brown
    Smoltz

>>

No way you can put schilling, mussina, or brown ahead of smoltz.

imagey
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Clemens
    Maddux
    Johnson
    Martinez
    Glavine
    Schilling
    Mussina
    Brown
    Smoltz

>>

No way you can put schilling, mussina, or brown ahead of smoltz. >>

In about 7 years, there's going to be a really stupid argument about whether Smoltz should be in the HOF. He is an absolute no doubter in my mind. People will look at his career stats and say that he didn't win enough and his ERA was a touch high. That guy is the man. He was always huge in big games and he dominated parts of his career as a starter AND as a closer. In my eyes, he's #4 on the list of guys from the current era behind Maddux, Clemens and Randy Johnson. Ill even put him ahead of Glavine (just because of big game antics). I think the same argument will be had about Schilling, but everyone forgets that if those Phillis teams that he pitched for, for 6-7 years, STUNK. He could have won 15-25 more games than his career stats will show.
  • Options
    Smoltz, Schilling, and Glavine take up the next spots after the BIG FOUR. Glavine has 1,000 more innings than those two, but with a worse ERA+. I don't see how one can even decide between a Smoltz and a Schilling. If there is a definition of a coin flip, then that has to be it.
  • Options
    BassPro77BassPro77 Posts: 1,152
    I would have to go with
    Maddux
    Smoltz, "and being the cubs fan that I am I will throw in the BIG Z"
    Zambrano
    Bill
    looking for PELLE LINDBERGH's psa and 1960 fleer baseball psa 8 and up
    sets in progress
    R.I.P. Barstow 24 April 1999 - May 15 2009
  • Options

<< <i>No way you can put schilling, mussina, or brown ahead of smoltz. >>

If you discount four of Smoltz' great years you can. And I already did write that if you include his years as a reliever he is better than those three. The original question was ambiguous, perhaps purposely so, when it asked for best starting pitcher
    Tom