Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

'Millenia' stunners now online!

Man, too many wants; too little money (for most of them anyway!)

The entire sale

click here

for the British coin lovers

click here
click here

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the link.

I just "stumbled" across a little money I wasn't expecting. Whether it'll be enough to get anything juicy there or not, I dunno. I rather doubt it.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    OMG.image

Edited to add- I can see I might as well not browse any further. One page down and I can see I am waaaaaaay outta my league! image

Edited again to say curse you, Doogy- it's your fault I can't see, now. My retinas exploded after looking at that stuff.

Hoo boy.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I, unfortunately, am in the same boat as Lord M - I've already been outbid and haven't even placed a bid yet...

but there are some VERY nice coins in that sale!
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508

<< <i>I, unfortunately, am in the same boat as Lord M - I've already been outbid and haven't even placed a bid yet...

but there are some VERY nice coins in that sale! >>

yup, there are some real stunners there. It is being predicted to break all world coin auction records, and after seeing them in person, can see why!

• Options
    Yeah, even with all the bids still showing "$0", I know better than to even TRY to bid on that stuff.

(Maybe you have to be registered to see the bid amounts? Is that why I saw all zeroes?)

• Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    I can only dream about owning some of those. It looks like the web server is getting pounded. Must be plenty of interest.
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Can't get any of the pictures to come up... they must be getting hammered...
  • Options
    Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Can't get any of the pictures to come up... they must be getting hammered... >>

I can't either ..... Can't wait for my catalog image
  • Options
    Hey, they have ancient Roman coins in NGC slabs.

Is NGC grading ancients? image

Or just gold?

Or did they used to grade them, and quit?

(Hm. Just looked. Nothing I could see about ancients on their page. These five- and six-figure gold pieces probably got graded under that $250/coin special tier.)

• Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Check out lot 568

Instant WOOD "SHWING"

Jim
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭✭
    I was thinking the same thing about 578 and 579! No wait...585 and 591. But then there is 595, 597, 621, and 636. Wow.....this could go on for awhile.
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    Anyone care to speculate what this auction will realize?
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone care to speculate what this auction will realize? >>

The "Millennia" bidder paid nearly $1M for just the British gold from the Terner I sale. I would have thought he would have had gem business strikes for the 1887 & 1893 represented in the £2, and £5 flavours, but I guess he opted for proof-only examples.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Anyone care to speculate what this auction will realize? >>

The "Millennia" bidder paid nearly $1M for just the British gold from the Terner I sale. I would have thought he would have had gem business strikes for the 1887 & 1893 represented in the £2, and £5 flavours, but I guess he opted for proof-only examples. >>

so......you're saying my $80 bid for the gold coins won't take 'em home?! image
  • Options
    Oh my!!! ...there's just so many beauties and no $ image

~
  • Options

<< <i>so......you're saying my $80 bid for the gold coins won't take 'em home?! image >>

imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Considering this is the event of the year, I wonder how close the estimated prices will be to the final prices? I'm mostly US coins, but looking through that catalog makes me want to place a few bids if the estimated prices will be close to the final prices.
  • Options

<< <i>Considering this is the event of the year, I wonder how close the estimated prices will be to the final prices? I'm mostly US coins, but looking through that catalog makes me want to place a few bids if the estimated prices will be close to the final prices. >>

in looking at the estimates, I think A LOT of them are low considering the huge amount of interest (US and overseas) in this auction.

• Options

<< <i>Considering this is the event of the year, I wonder how close the estimated prices will be to the final prices? I'm mostly US coins, but looking through that catalog makes me want to place a few bids if the estimated prices will be close to the final prices. >>

also, considering how some countries coins have been white hot these last few years (even when compared to US coins, when looked at on a year over year value appreciation), it should be fun. I'm looking forward to seeing how the British and Russian coins go, and just how much over estimate they climb.

Those Russian platinum coins were the only platinum coins ever to circulate in the world. The Russian market is on fire these last few years, many of the nicer issues are far outpacing nicer US stuff. For instance, I spoke with a prominent collector of higher end Russian coins at the ANA that had an exhibit of rare Platinum Russian coins. To give you an example of where this market is headed, he bought an 1862 Russian Proof/specimen set for market value in 1996. He sold it 10 years later in '07 for a little over 40 TIMES WHAT HE PAID! amazing!
  • Options

<< <i>

also, considering how some countries coins have been white hot these last few years (even when compared to US coins, when looked at on a year over year value appreciation), it should be fun. I'm looking forward to seeing how the British and Russian coins go, and just how much over estimate they climb.

Those Russian platinum coins were the only platinum coins ever to circulate in the world. The Russian market is on fire these last few years, many of the nicer issues are far outpacing nicer US stuff. For instance, I spoke with a prominent collector of higher end Russian coins at the ANA that had an exhibit of rare Platinum Russian coins. To give you an example of where this market is headed, he bought an 1862 Russian Proof/specimen set for market value in 1996. He sold it 10 years later in '07 for a little over 40 TIMES WHAT HE PAID! amazing! >>

The coins I liked were the German states and South American country coins after their independence from Spain or minted during their struggle to get independence from Spain. Maybe a few will slip under the radar.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭✭
    I browsed the entire catalogue. Other than one of the true highlights of the entire auction, lot 710, 1876 100 drs gold NGC PF64 that should realize ~$150K, I loved the MS67RB Novodel, I wonder what this will bring and I might even place a bid on that fantastic 1830 French 40 francs in MS64 just for kicks.Unless I find a benefactor.

That's without paying much attention to Austria, Switzerland,and Britain yet, although I saw the last British part....And some gold German states are out of this world.

Owning the catalogue is a nice consolation.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Dawg144Dawg144 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭
    These are pretty high up there on the list of neat "counterfeits":

Greenland Dollar
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was disappointed at the British section even though there are a number of gold proofs, the only exception would be the "Three Graces" pattern crown which I have always covetted (unfortunately recently married which rules out any really good coins for a while!). Also within this section on viewing at the NYINC I found the grading on several to be rather liberal.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> ... and South American country coins after their independence from Spain or minted during their struggle to get independence from Spain. >>

I'm still drooling over Chilean and Mexican Independence issues ... image
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

in looking at the estimates, I think A LOT of them are low considering the huge amount of interest (US and overseas) in this auction. >>

The estimates are ridiculously low, which seems to be a habit with Goldberg. This lot, for example, will probably go for at least twice the estimate, maybe even 3x. I have the same coin in PF64 cameo, and I wouldn't even let you look at it for $500. image
  • Options

<< <i>

The estimates are ridiculously low, which seems to be a habit with Goldberg. This lot, for example, will probably go for at least twice the estimate, maybe even 3x. I have the same coin in PF64 cameo, and I wouldn't even let you look at it for $500. image >>

Com'on Newsman, you wouldn't take $500 for a peak imageimage
    Oh well ... you just lost out on $500 image
  • Options
    imageimage

This is the one I want. I'm renegoitating a jumbo loan with the Feds. as we speak.
    I am claiming that I was misled when I originally borrowed money on my home and am a victum of unfair lending practices. ...... because I forgot to include this coin in my original home loan amount and wasn't told about it image

"Yes, some people borrowed imprudently. On the other hand, though, it is clear that many of the people in this situation were misled, were deceived or were in other ways the victims of unfair lending practices." Barney Frank - Democrat from Massachusetts, is chairman of the House Financial Services Committee.
  • Options
    I don't even know where to begin describing these pieces. These are simply amazing.

Wow... image

Mexico, Early Republican patterns!!! image

imageimage

imageimage

• Options
    I've got a few of those Roman, but I've been using them in the vending machine at work. are they valuable?

• Options

<< <i>I've got a few of those Roman, but I've been using them in the vending machine at work. are they valuable?

image >>

B L A S P H E M Y !!!

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't even know where to begin describing these pieces. These are simply amazing.

Wow... image

Mexico, Early Republican patterns!!! image

imageimage

imageimage >>

Let me assist you; A cap, some rays, an eagle and snake, and some cactus, and leaves and jumbled letters.image
  • Options

<< <i> Let me assist you; A cap, some rays, an eagle and snake, and some cactus, and leaves and jumbled letters.image >>

See? That doesn't even come close image
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

The estimates are ridiculously low, which seems to be a habit with Goldberg. This lot, for example, will probably go for at least twice the estimate, maybe even 3x. I have the same coin in PF64 cameo, and I wouldn't even let you look at it for $500. image >>

Com'on Newsman, you wouldn't take $500 for a peak imageimage
    Oh well ... you just lost out on $500 image >>

Well, if it's just a peek, I guess I'd take it. imageimage