Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do you own a MPL?

Just curious.

Seems to be alot of collectors here and I just wonder how many have an example. Doesnt have to be a set or anyting.

Comments

• Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

I have a complete set but that's all. I sold off all my extras and I've regretted it ever since.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    i'm in this mix hopefully to complete a date set as the vdb is outta range for me...oh well no biggie but am down to the 12/15 and 16 to go<<< should of went tha other way and acquired these first
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    DJCoinzDJCoinz Posts: 3,856
    Nope.
    aka Dan
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Used to have 1909, 2-10's, 2-11's, 13, 14, 2-15's.

Now just 11 and 14
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    OffMetalOffMetal Posts: 1,684
    What is a MPL? image
    -Ben T. * Collector of Errors! * Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478
    None yet, but then again, I am working backwards, and just now got my 1950 proof, still have a few more before I make it to MPL level image
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    vplitevplite Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭
    I was told I did, in MS-65 when the dealer sold it to me but the TPG told me MS-63, no proof. Ouch.image
    The Golden Rule: Those with the gold make the rules.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to play in the MPL. I was an tripleback. But then I twisted my sprakkius and had to retire.

Ive got a bakers dozen MPLs.
  • Options
    only one i have... but this is a very cool set... I like small sets...
    maybe one day... after I finish my other 157 Goals image

-sm
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Several, but this is not a market for the faint of heart or for those without considerable knowledge, regardless of whether or not they believe they are working with a trusted source.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I almost purchased a raw one from a dealer-friend at a local show last year. I went home to think about it, and when I returned the next day, he did not bring it back. It was a beautiful coin, and the price was very attractive, too. This is my only brush with an MPL (other than wading through countless threads here image ).
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,082 ✭✭✭

I was up to 7 at one point, but I'm down to 4 right now.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image

I was up to 7 at one point, but I'm down to 4 right now.

-Paul >>

Who on earth does your imaging??? Those images are nothing short of spectacular!!!image

As far as me owning a MPL, nope.image
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,082 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Who on earth does your imaging??? Those images are nothing short of spectacular!!! >>

I owe a huge thank you to Bob Campbell (robec) for a great job with the images. I am amazed at how great they came out.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
  • Options
    My poorman's MPL
    molon labe
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What is a MPL? image >>

Yea, what's an MPL.....splain to the newbies people!!!
  • Options
  • Options
    Ok there's a small chance that there is someone who would really like to
    know what a MPL is. As a newbie I will give a simple answer:
    A Matte Proof Lincoln is a Lincoln cent that has been specially struck
    for collectors and instead of having the usual mirror field that many
    proofs have it has instead a matte finish. As you can see from the beautiful pictures
    the matte finish is rough and grainy in contrast with regular proof coin's highly
    reflective surfaces. I think they started them in 1909 and stopped in 1916 or 1917.
    And this is one of those series where coins are rumored to be in existence when the
    mint or other authorities say there is none. Think it was the '17 but like I say this is all
    new to me too.
    molon labe
  • Options
    I've had trouble finding one I like...
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    I would love to own a few but I am a long way from being able to do that. image
  • Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    got one of each date.
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    A 1912 65RB (but barely brown) that keets helped me locate and a 1913 65RB I got from merz2. Two of my favorite coins.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    I am the proud owner of the complete set of nine MPL's. As a point of information for anyone buying one of these coins, buy ONLY coins in PCGS or NGC slabs. They are the only way you can be confident that you own a coin that is accepted by the hobby as a true Matte Proof. There are specific diagnostics associated with the coins as well as the obvious ones associated with US Proof coins. If the coin is being offered as RAW, there IS a reason why. It is probably a mint state well struck coin or it is AT. JMHO. Steveimage
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

<< <i>What is a MPL? image >>

OK brother, let me try. For whatever reason in 1909 the mint decided to make the brand new Lincoln cent proof in the matte style. After the proof dies were made, they were polished and then sandblasted to give the die a granular look. This granular look was then imparted to the coin when it was struck. The coins have sharp squared off rims, a dull lustre and very fine die polish lines. Because they can look very similiar to regular issues, be very careful (as TomB alluded to). Sometimes these polish lines are the only way you can tell them from a well struck regular issue.

They soon fell out of favor with the public and were probably spent as nobody wanted them and the rest languished at the mint. As a matter of fact the entire mintages of Mattes from 1909 to 1916 is a miniscule 15,314 minted and an even smaller 4,037 slabbed by PCGS, NGC, and ANACS. I believe most of these survivors are here because few purchased them and they sat at the mint wrapped in tissue paper until a few dealers purchased them all. If it weren't for TPGs, I doubt if there would be much of a market for MPLs at all because they are so similiar to regular issues. The late Walter Breen said that he used to snipe them from dealers because they didn't know what they had.

As a rule, you don't see many at the big coin shows and rarely do you see any at all at a small local show.

These coins are very beautiful and while expensive is a relative term, they can be expensive in higher grades. In lower grades, save the VDB, these beauties are still quite reasonable (IMHO). The VDB is very expensive in all grades.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162

<< <i>buy ONLY coins in PCGS or NGC slabs. JMHO. Steveimage >>

I would agree 100% on this, but one can get lucky. image

imageimage

PCGS PR64 BN

Sold it. image
  • Options
    Ambro.....that is a beautiful 1916
  • Options
    1916's may be the best.....

though each and every one is a real work of art.

I wonder what Brenner thought when he examined one fresh off the press with HIS loupe?

Certainly as a medallic artist he would have approved of the matte treatment, since his very action in insisting on a field with multiple radius prevented the mint from using its existing proof polishing equipment and caused them to use Matte as an alternative.
  • Options
    Matte Proof Lincant
  • Options
    ...worst thing with slabs is you dont get to see the rims!

Nice 11,. Nice ANT
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    My grandfather used to own a nearly complete set (no VDB) of MPLs when he was a dealer. They were some of the very few coins he owned and would not sell. Most were in the old ANACS photo holders. I submitted them to PCGS...I have them in the SDB, but they're still his. Very cool looking coins. The 1909 is only a 62BN, but it's got a purple hue to it. Love it.

Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    I love to review the MPL mintages as reported by the three major graders who list their pops. As of today, they list a total of 4,884 graded with the following breakout: PCGS-2,576; NGC-1,430: ANACS-878. I did a similar check on November 6th of last year and the total was 4,749. Interestingly the adds were 36 for PCGS, 1 for NGC and 98 for ANACS. I believe the huge ANACS increase is because they just recently updated their database and the numbers NOW look more consistant.

For those interested in 1909VDB mintages since my November 6th report, there was NO changes for PCGS or NGC! ANACS increased 2, probably as part of their cleanup. So as of today it is PCGS 97; NGC 47: ANACS 25 Total of 169 for the VDB. Of course there are a number of unknown crackouts and crossovers in those VDB numbers including mine. (from ANACS to PCGS)

Steveimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file