Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Copper For The Weekend

2»

Comments

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I posted this earlier in the week on the "Post some Barber images" thread. Just arrived in the mail today. And it is spectacular! Flawless( the fingerprints will go away). From Julian's "Medals of the United States Mint" this pertains to the CM-20 Centennial of the Great Seal medal:
    "The term bronze is really a misnomer for the years prior to 1901. In reality the Mint then struck copper medals which were chemically treated after striking; the proper name for medals struck prior to 1901 is copper-bronzed medals."

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478
    Wow, some really cool stuff!

imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    Very Nice Baley and coinduece!!!!!!!! image Thanks for sharing them here!!! image

This one arrived yesterday from Joel D Rettew, FASTCOIN. I was surpised with the Sample Slab freebie. image One form of marketing. image The coin I ordered was a 57-D Lincoln in 66RB. This is what arrived:

A plain jane, bland red example image

I sent an email to him about this. More than likely have to call next week.

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't think I've posted this before...

1760 Voce Populi Halfpenny, Nelson 15 Long Nose variety AU50 [PCGS] Parsons-Ellsworth-Garrett

• Options
    ahooka454ahooka454 Posts: 3,466
    Just picked this baby up last night.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Don't think I've posted this before...

1760 Voce Populi Halfpenny, Nelson 15 Long Nose variety AU50 [PCGS] Parsons-Ellsworth-Garrett

image >>

That just gets my blood pumpin'. Thanks for posting!

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Larry

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That just gets my blood pumpin'. Thanks for posting! >>

Hehehe...you're welcome. image
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimageimageimage

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    A couple 1920's from my Dansco

• Options
    A couple from 1931

• Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    best i can do for these tough types

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

• Options
    Baley WOW! Here's a couple from the early 30s with some color.

• Options
    Hello, my first post hope you can see the pic. It is a 1952 s with what I think is a D on the 5 ?
    I have been reading and learning alot from these pages. Thanks Keith
  • Options
    coinman420coinman420 Posts: 4,666
    my newest acquisition.....

from pocket changeimageimage
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    redsreds Posts: 262
    A neat trial strike from the estate of Peter Rosa

Anyone out there have any trials by him ?

• Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options

<< <i>image
    Hello, my first post hope you can see the pic. It is a 1952 s with what I think is a D on the 5 ?
    I have been reading and learning alot from these pages. Thanks Keith >>

Keith image and thanks for adding a coin to my thread for your first post to the forum!!! Some great folks here to help you on your journey!!! image

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I picked this up today...thoughts?

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    dbemikedbemike Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know it's common, and ugly, but I like it. The reverse is almost purple, trying to capture it is impossible.

Great pics as always.

imageimage
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    Have a happy Sunday!! image

• Options
    MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭
    Been a couple of months since I last posted this. Part of the 7070.

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know this is not exactly copper in the usual sense, but I think copper is involved here.
    (my first pic post- testing)

Having fun
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    OneCentOneCent Posts: 3,561
    ICG 66BN:

Man, I would love to have this one in a PCGS 66BN holder. Maybe only a dozen or so Lincoln's holdered 66BN (PCGS).
    imageimage
    Collector of Early 20th Century U.S. Coinage.
    ANA Member R-3147111
  • Options

<< <i>image
    I have been reading and learning alot from these pages. Thanks Keith >>

• Options

<< <i>ICG 66BN:

Man, I would love to have this one in a PCGS 66BN holder. Maybe only a dozen or so Lincoln's holdered 66BN (PCGS). >>

I have this in ICG 66 Red, my question, do you guys think it would cross at 65 Red at least at PCGS? Note the what looks like carbon spot by the eye. Thanks!

• Options

<< <i>ICG 66BN:

Man, I would love to have this one in a PCGS 66BN holder. Maybe only a dozen or so Lincoln's holdered 66BN (PCGS). >>

Are the scratches on the right and left obverse fields on the coin or holder?

• Options
    THe ICG holder is pretty scratched. I reimaged the coin with two Ott Lites to try and eliminate the slab scratches. I think that I accomplished the goal although the image now is a bit overexposed.

Do you think that this one has been "helped" with a little MS-70 or similar Lee? I guess it is possible, but I don't think that it has the "MS-70 Look™". I'm either gonna try and cross this one or crack-it and submit raw within the next several months. I think that it has a 60/40 shot at PCGS 66BN.

RgCoinGuy - I like the 1970-s high "7"!!! Personally, I think that the two carbon spots are significant enough to limit the coin to a 64RD although sometimes you never know. Give it a shot.

imageimage
    ANA Member R-3147111
  • Options

<< <i>Do you think that this one has been "helped" with a little MS-70 or similar Lee? I guess it is possible, but I don't think that it has the "MS-70 Look™". I'm either gonna try and cross this one or crack-it and submit raw within the next several months. I think that it has a 60/40 shot at PCGS 66BN.image >>

Don't think MS70's been used on it. That's a tough one. I'd try and cross it first then if that doesn't work, crack and grade. image

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Here is my sm/lg 1960-D

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options

• Options
    Finally got photobucket working. Here's my first attempt:imageimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is a freshly bought newp for March 10th! This purchase is so new, my mouseclick finger is still smokin'!

Y'all stop me if you're getting sick of my posting Roman coins here- I'll try to go out detecting and dig up some nice US coins soon. image

I was itchin' and twitchin' to add to my ever-growing Roman Imperial collection, so I got my fix today by blowing my modest PayPal balance. Bought this one and a silver Valerian II. I have more funds on the way soon, so it wasn't a big deal- less than a hundred bucks for the pair. I also happened to catch a 10% Off sale the day before it ended. Every little bit helps.

LM Roman Imperial Collection #118: Magnus Maximus. R4.

Reigned as a usurper circa 383-388 AD, in Spain, where this coin was found.

<< <i>MAGNUS MAXIMUS AE2. Reparatio Reipub, Emperor standing. Constantina (Arles) mint, found in Spain

MAGNUS MAXIMUS AE2. D N MAG MAXIMVS P F AVG, diademed, draped & cuirassed bust right. Reverse - REPARATIO REIPVB, emperor standing left, raising kneeling female; SCON in exergue. RIC 26a of Arles (Constantina). 21mm, 2.4g. A spanish find, nice patina. >>

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I enjoy your posts Lord M, here and everywhere else! Thanks One Cent, that was kind of what I was thinking, I didn't know if PCGS would even BB it, I may try it anyway just to see what it comes back as (and I am trying to send in a decent submission this week). Here is one for Mozeppa that I just redid. image

• Options
    RG- do you do ancients, too? I mean, you've got a Parthian coin as an avatar...

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>RG- do you do ancients, too? I mean, you've got a Parthian coin as an avatar... >>

I have a few, this is the last one, and oldest one I bought. The other ones are Roman. I will eventually get into them more, I guess I like the idea of building a collection from the beginning of coinage to present. I am currently trying to get more knowledgable in US coins though, as my main focus right now is on my Type set here.
  • Options

<< <i>Finally got photobucket working. Here's my first attempt >>

That is a striking '16-S centmaster!!!

You must get the choice selection on those early-date "S" mints being from SF and everything.image

imageimage
    ANA Member R-3147111
  • Options
    Looking back a ways in this thread, I see that Baley is still the undisputed King Of The 7070 Collectors...

• Options
    Lee, you should make these threads the "Copper for the Week".

No way could I contain myself until the weekend- I had to crow about my Wednesday newp, 'cause it fills a tough, long-empty hole in my collection. image

Newp, 3/12.

#022: Aelius. R6.

Caesar ca. 136-138 AD.

The adopted son and intended heir of the emperor Hadrian, Aelius never attained the throne, as he died shortly before Hadrian. Aelius' son, Lucius Verus, however, later became co-emperor with Marcus Aurelius.

<< <i>Aelius Sestertius, Spes reverse, RIC II 1055

Aelius Sestertius, 137 AD, Rome.
    Obv: L AELIUS CAESAR, bare head right.
    Rev: TR POT COS II / S - C, Spes walking left, holding flower and raising skirt.
    31-32 mm, 22.75 g
    RIC II, 1055

Good fine/fine. Inexpensive yet beautiful portrait Sestertius of this short-living caesar. >>

I was considering some medium to low-grade bronze As coins of Aelius, which were about all I could afford. When I saw this big, fat sestertius and realized I had a chance to get an even bigger coin with the same detail (which I could actually afford), I knew I had to have it.

Purchased from Rutten & Wieland in Switzerland, the same source from which I found my last surprisingly-affordable rare sestertius: the Galba. The Galba, at 35-36 mm, is the largest coin in my collection; a massive, chunky thing. I'll be pleased to feel the weight of this Aelius in hand- no doubt it is a big "fattie", as well. As with my previous purchases two days earlier from Incitatus, I caught a "10% off" sale on this one, which makes it all the nicer.

• Options
    RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just trying to get a jump on the weekend:

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • Options
    BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Finally got photobucket working. Here's my first attempt >>

That is a striking '16-S centmaster!!!

You must get the choice selection on those early-date "S" mints being from SF and everything.image

image >>

I like that one alsoimage
    Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file