Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If you see the word " Grandfather" in the title of an ebay auction...

lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
and knowing nothing else,

What do you think are the chances that it may be a legitimate auction?
LCoopie = Les

Comments

• Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    tmcsr69tmcsr69 Posts: 1,307
    4 to 1
    Crazy old man from Missouri
  • Options
    ahooka454ahooka454 Posts: 3,466
    2.5-3.7%. I see that phrase I start to giggle and then beging to laugh. I love those ones.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    More often than you realize......grandad, age 75 or so gives a set of coins to disinterested teenage grandchild......hoping to spur a desire to collect...

soon as grandpop dies the coins hit ebay......kid wants an iPhone or something.

sorry but a lot of these coins end up that way (and you guys know it)
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139

<< <i>More often than you realize......grandad, age 75 or so gives a set of coins to disinterested teenage grandchild......hoping to spur a desire to collect...

soon as grandpop dies the coins hit ebay......kid wants an iPhone or something.

sorry but a lot of these coins end up that way (and you guys know it) >>

Doesn't have to die, just start to enter that forgetful time when the whippersnappers start bossing him around and he can only capitulate so they'll let him watch Matlock reruns and have some fruit for dessert. Respect for elders is so regrettably lost on too many selfish people today.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    From reviewing ebay from time to time, the number of times I see "grandfather" tells me that there are a rather large number of them that collected coins and have grandchildren. Respectfully, John Curlis
  • Options
    Probably even less than that are for real. The only real one I know of for sure is Shigley's collection on eBay, where the grandson is slowly selling off everything he inherited from H.K. But he hasn't even started selling the coins yet and said it might be years before he gets to them image(
    That's kind of sad considering he's sitting on one of the largest coin collections in the world.
  • Options
    Close to zero.
    Same as if you see "estate."
  • Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478
    I immediately call my credit card company to get the limit raised so I can bid 10 times sheet image
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    thanks for all the imput

Some grandpa's do collect coins I suppose and they may be sold after he passes, but probably not frequently.

good night
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it was a coin from 1900 or before, then I'd say someones grandfather once owned it.

Yep, legit!image
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    I actually have some coins my grandfather gave me that were the start of my collection. Sometimes it's true.
  • Options
    Run Forrest Run!

FloridaBill
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends if I'm looking for a clock.
  • Options
    Or maybe looking for some claws.
  • Options
    I did a search in coins within titles and descriptions and found the following

751 - Auctions running with the key word grandfather
    163 - Auctions running with the keyword grandpa
    187 - Auctions running with the keyword grandmother
    56 - Auctions running with the keyword grandma
    379 - Auctions running with the keyword uncle
    166 - Auctions running with the keyword aunt
    133 - Auctions running with the keyword cousin
    951 - Auctions running with the keyword brother
    371 - Auctions running with the keyword sister

So we are looking at 2-3% of total auctions using the above keywords.
    Life member of the SSDC
  • Options
    Nice work, options!image
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    it better be a clock.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Depends on the day. Could be all, some or none. image
  • Options
    direwolf1972direwolf1972 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Depends if I'm looking for a clock. >>

I'll see your bunny with a pancake on his head and raise you a Siamese cat with a miniature pumpkin on his head.

You wouldn't believe how long it took to get him to sit still for this.

• Options
    ahooka454ahooka454 Posts: 3,466
    Or a new cane.

Note to self: Self I need a new one...
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

Run Forrest.....Run....

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960
    I, too, got my start collecting from my grandfather. I've since sold a few of the coins on ebay
    and mentioned they were part of my grandfather's collection.

I find it funny that people think less than 2% of auctions are legit. The way I read the question,
    people are saying these auctions are not legitimate. I think what you're all meaning to say is
    that the grandfather claim is not legit. The coins themselves are fine and the auctions
    themselves likely have no problems. Not meaning to mince words, but JMO. image
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Options
    everyone had a grandfather at one point, I think

that may change in the future image
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    Most certainly some of these sellers did get the coins from their grandfather, but it's generally hype and playing the key word game. eBay allows the seller 55 characters for their main title. So some sellers will latch on to "estate" , "grandfather", or other such words in an attempt to snag bidders who use "estate" or "grandfather" as part of their keywords.

It's meant to give bidders the impression that the seller isn't a dealer and may not be very knowledgable about coins, which plays to the greed of the bidder.

I don't look for these type of auctions, but I'm sure that there are a lot of people searching under these keywords in hopes that one might...... just might be real.

edited for clarity.
  • Options
    fastrudyfastrudy Posts: 2,096
    everyone had a grandfather at one point, I think

Everybody has two grandfathers and that will not change as long as humans reproduce.
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    i've never understood who cares about who the he11 owned the coins before? does it matter???

if it's got a valid return policy, your buying sight-seen, so that's what matters.

when you get right down to it, all sellers could claim the coins were once owned by the u.s. gov't!

& the raw materials were once owned by GOD!!!

K S
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oops posted under the wrong Grandfather thread... image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options

<< <i>everyone had a grandfather at one point, I think

Everybody has two grandfathers and that will not change as long as humans reproduce. >>

Meaning absolutely no disrespect, it is possible to have only one grandfather, although unlikely in our society

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    GrivGriv Posts: 2,804
    I'm hoping to live long enough to have an eBay auction that says:

I am a grandfather and I am selling this before they put me in a home. Double the price once they put me away!
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dorkkarl has it right. It doesn't matter where the coins came from. But some people must be having success with the "grandpa" or "estate" listings, otherwise they wouldn't do them. BTW, there is an eBay seller with over 10,000 feedbacks that every coin he lists is "from estate". So my guess is that the "grandpa" or "estate" angle is true maybe 5% of the time. Not to say they aren't legitimate auctions, just that the "grandpa" or "estate" part is not accurate. Interestingly enough, I tested for "flea market" as a source of coins on eBay's U. S. Coins category: over 128,000 listings, 0 mention flea market in the title. Does anyone think that percentage is accurate either?

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭
    My grandfather had a gold coin collection that was started by his great grandfather. Lived in Detroit and they were stolen in the mid 1960's. Cannot recall if before or after the riots. Apparently the thieves were leaving as he and my grandma were returning. Thankfully no one was physically hurt but in my youth, I often wondered what treasures may have been in that small box of gold! Of course, I concluded pristine DB eagles, halves and quarters!

(Had they not been stolen any that came my way would never have seen there way to the 'bay.)
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only if a grandfather clock.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    Sometimes it is true, but most often the gradpa collected junk silver and the person/s who inherited them assume them to be extremely rare and valuable. So they will ask $2,000 for an EF Franklin half.

• Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Run away...
  • Options
    It is almost always a cheap ebay come-on, but I have had two situations where there really was a father or grandfather. Those were the only two times I bought from a seller making that claim. Both times, there were a number of signs that made me feel they were the real deal. That's the exception. Ninety-nine plus percent of the time, I view "grandfather" the same way I do "L@@K", "From An Estate", and all the others.
  • Options
    fastrudy, there was the Egyptians and all that... Respectfully, John Curlis. PS: Adam and Eve? I don't know, I am just asking- don't yell...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file