Home U.S. Coin Forum

I'm simply STUNNED by the prices Mint and Expoe medals are bringing at Long Beach!

DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC

Comments

• BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,960 ✭✭✭
    If you would stop posting all those cool medals maybe not so many people would be getting into them. image
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope they keep exploding and more and more people want them....maybe then, they will sell their coins for funds and stop bidding up other coins image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you would stop posting all those cool medals maybe not so many people would be getting into them. image >>

Good point. image
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just read in Numismatic News that the Coin & Currency Institute is reissuing the Hibbler & Kappen So-Called Dollars book. So-Called dollars seem to be on a real roll!
    All glory is fleeting.
  • richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    Guilty image
  • jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had my eye on one of the mint medals that happens to be a very rare (but equally obscure) subtype. A normal one usually sells for $50-100, and I wouldn't have minded landing a rare one for a small premium. It sold for $700. Oddly, a normal one sold in a different lot also for $700. It looks like the rare one got no premium over the common one, and both sold for 10x what they should have.

Weird.

On the other hand, the US Mint-made Indian Peace medals sold more or less "normal", and the US Mint military (MI-) and naval (NA-) medals even sold on the cheap side.
  • tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    Yes, this auction appears to be doing MUCH better than the September Long Beach did. However, they had WAY too much material on September and people had to spread money thinly.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I almost bought my first old medal at the St. Louis Show - an 1809 Napoleonic Bust in high relief in silver. I had no idea how much to pay. Some of your medals are quite enticing as well.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    so many of the Naval medals had distracting "problems" that I only bid on two...and was blown out of the water. Pun intended.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,120 ✭✭✭✭✭
    by the time I hear about it , it's already doubled in price image
    Well... this is what I won in todays auction. I was working in the dark as it was kind of hard for me to determine what I wanted to bid. I looked at all of them I could find on the Heritage Archives; ebay; and anywhere else... seems they are all over the board. So my approach was more on the line of.... what would I be willing to pay not being sure what it was even worth. As it was, it took my proxy max bid to win. I'm ok with that, but don't have any idea if that was a fair price or not. I think I'll be happy to own it... just to look at it.... and that's the part of the hobby I enjoy the most anyway.

• BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    I won two of the four lots I bid on.

1. HK-425 1915 Panama Pacific Slug

2. One ounce silver Humbert fifty Dollar
    Octogonal Slug.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im happy, won what I was after an 1860 R. Lovett Jr engraver and die sinker store card. looking much like the Confederate Cent which he also produced, I couldnt find a value to base a bid on. So I put a large absentee bid, and out distanced the floor bidder to win at $325. Quite happy!
  • hiijackerhiijacker Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Well... this is what I won in todays auction. I was working in the dark as it was kind of hard for me to determine what I wanted to bid. I looked at all of them I could find on the Heritage Archives; ebay; and anywhere else... seems they are all over the board. So my approach was more on the line of.... what would I be willing to pay not being sure what it was even worth. As it was, it took my proxy max bid to win. I'm ok with that, but don't have any idea if that was a fair price or not. I think I'll be happy to own it... just to look at it.... and that's the part of the hobby I enjoy the most anyway.

>>

I think there were two fools bidding on this because I was your underbidder. I did the same thing as you, not knowing what this is worth, just liked the look of it, he prices seemed all over the board, so I just decided to stop bidding.

Buyer of all vintage Silver Bars. PM me
    Cashback from Mr. Rebates
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me three. Some schmuck sniped the 1867 Jesse Ketchum medal from me. I've been collecting them for a while now, and this was probably the first and only bronze strike I had a shot at. The gold strikes are impossible to find, and the silvers are getting harder by the day. image

FWIW rshipp: the H-K 222 has realized very strong prices when certified by NGC in higher grades, i.e. PR-66/67CAM. Uncertified examples are still very desirable for this issue, but since so many of these have appeared in relatively high state of preservation, the TPG opinion seems to be drawing most of the money. image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not surprising - it is getting harder and harder to find cool things in the regular US series - with medals you can get something very rare and historic for not much money, relatively speaking. Plus in many cases it is a lot more aesthetically pleasing, too.

<< <i>Me three. Some schmuck sniped the 1867 Jesse Ketchum medal from me. I've been collecting them for a while now, and this was probably the first and only bronze strike I had a shot at. The gold strikes are impossible to find, and the silvers are getting harder by the day. image

FWIW rshipp: the H-K 222 has realized very strong prices when certified by NGC in higher grades, i.e. PR-66/67CAM. Uncertified examples are still very desirable for this issue, but since so many of these have appeared in relatively high state of preservation, the TPG opinion seems to be drawing most of the money. image >>

Thanks for the info.

<< <i>Me three. Some schmuck sniped the 1867 Jesse Ketchum medal from me. I've been collecting them for a while now, and this was probably the first and only bronze strike I had a shot at. The gold strikes are impossible to find, and the silvers are getting harder by the day. image

FWIW rshipp: the H-K 222 has realized very strong prices when certified by NGC in higher grades, i.e. PR-66/67CAM. Uncertified examples are still very desirable for this issue, but since so many of these have appeared in relatively high state of preservation, the TPG opinion seems to be drawing most of the money. image >>

I'd agree with this comment on the HK-222. I had a bid on it at $200 and obviously outbid. I don' think you got burned, but you certainly didn't get a rip, unless it grades out at 67 or better. You can buy them for $200-$300 in original round boxes fairly regularly. This particular medal, in aluminum, is VERY popular. Being popular, they are starting to come out of the vaults from everywhere. Once they've been graded, 65's bring around $500. I've seen 67s originally go from $1000 down to $600-$700. There have been 10 67s graded by NGC. Given that there are many many in original boxes still available, it's likely that others will be graded at this level continuing to drop the price.

It's still a classic and probably one of the most widely recognized so-called dollars. I was fortunate to purchase an original roll of 20 of these in 2007. They will forever stay as an original roll.
    Surprisingly so though, one of the highlights of the sale didn't hammer. The H-K 1031 Gold Wilson Dollar is offered post auction BIN for $25.3K. Go figure.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon

<< <i>Surprisingly so though, one of the highlights of the sale didn't hammer. The H-K 1031 Gold Wilson Dollar is offered post auction BIN for $25.3K. Go figure. >>

That doesn't surprise me. Most collectors of this kind of high end rare material only want them if they are "unharmed". This one being a previous mount, was likely to have a problem being sold. We know from recent sales what a decent one can sell for, but what do you price a mounted one at??????
    Considering that I was chastised for my pre sale estimate of 30K as being too low, I feel vindicated now. Maybe if it had been offered on "The Price is Right"....

• LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Tell me about it. Has RYK started collecting these and driving up the market? image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
    Coindeuce: the Ketchum medal went to rosgreco on eBay. He's been buying every one that appears. See his web site here
    Thanks J.B. I figured if anyone were to outbid me, it would be him. He has a standing buy ad in the Buffalo Evening News. I know of one other strong buyer of these(which makes three of us), however I would not compromise the confidentiality of this indivdual if I want to survive.image

• are these medals you are discussing in the MS65 and up area? I haven't paid much attention but I will say the art work is far superior to any mint coin.
  • DrSynergy00001`
  • I was the buyer of the bronze 49 mm Jesse Ketchum medal. Do any of you know, for sure, why the large bronze JK medals (likely 11 were minted, inferring from Julian's book) were minted (1873-1876)? To whom were they given? Since they have no number in exergue, they were not awarded to students. I have access to the main minutes of the Jesse Ketchum Memorial Committee, and I never saw a mention of the large (or small) bronze medals minted in the 1870s. I am just guessing that they were struck to show to local Buffalo politicians and new members of the Jesse Ketchum Memorial Committee. I am writing a small book on the medals and the 12000+ medal winners, and I would welcome an answer to this one question and to several others. I recently completed the computerization of the information on the medal winners from 1873-2001, and I am willing to provide information on the winners to collectors that hold JK medals (as long as this task does not become overly tedious). I plan to put this information into a website sometime during 2008.
    DrSynergy00001`
    I have records of several sales of bronze Ketchum medals.

The Stack's Fixed Price List for 1991 included three bronze versions in both sizes, all unnumbered, all described as trial strikes. Item 116 was 49mm diameter, 5mm thick. Item 117 was 49mm diameter, 3mm thick. Item 119 was 35mm diamter, 2.5mm thick. All of them were listed as "Ex Charles E. Barber Estate." FWIW, item 114 in that price list was a 48mm version in gold (numbered 37), item 115 was 49mm silver numbered 144, item 118 was 35mm silver numbered 152. and item 120 was a unique galvano of the Seated Buffalo City Goddess, 140mm wide.

A large size bronze was sold as lot 445 in the 1/10/1969 Hollinbeck Kagen sale.

A large size bronze was sold as lot 368 in the 12/1989 Presidential sale, unnumbered.

A large size bronze was sold as lot 422 in the 12/1990 Presidential sale, unnumbered. This was apparently a different specimen than the previous.

A large size bronze was sold as lot 8111 in the 2/14/2008 Heritage sale, as discussed earlier in this thread.

A large size gold was sold as lot 341 in the 5/1997 Presidential sale. It was numbered "M 25 A"

A small size bronze was sold as lot 1626 in the 8/2000 Presidential sale. It was numbered 3730, so if you have records you might be able to figure out who that one went to.

Except for the ones that appeared together in the Stack's FPL and are clearly separate pieces, I don't know how many unique specimens are in the list above.
  • dengadenga Posts: 903 ✭✭✭
    DrSynergy March 05, 2008

I was the buyer of the bronze 49 mm Jesse Ketchum medal. Do any of you know, for sure, why the large bronze JK medals (likely 11 were minted, inferring from Julian's book) were minted (1873-1876)? To whom were they given? Since they have no number in exergue, they were not awarded to students. I have access to the main minutes of the Jesse Ketchum Memorial Committee, and I never saw a mention of the large (or small) bronze medals minted in the 1870s. I am just guessing that they were struck to show to local Buffalo politicians and new members of the Jesse Ketchum Memorial Committee. I am writing a small book on the medals and the 12000+ medal winners, and I would welcome an answer to this one question and to several others. I recently completed the computerization of the information on the medal winners from 1873-2001, and I am willing to provide information on the winners to collectors that hold JK medals (as long as this task does not become overly tedious). I plan to put this information into a website sometime during 2008.

-------------------------
    DrSynergy00001`

You are probably correct that they were struck for special purposes, including samples for committee members.
    One would also think that such medals would have been used for display, so that potential winners could see
    what they might receive.

For one of the medals I have "1" marked in the exergue. I think it was the large size but would have to check,
    if you are interested.

Denga
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    I got one image
  • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Well... this is what I won in todays auction. I was working in the dark as it was kind of hard for me to determine what I wanted to bid. I looked at all of them I could find on the Heritage Archives; ebay; and anywhere else... seems they are all over the board. So my approach was more on the line of.... what would I be willing to pay not being sure what it was even worth. As it was, it took my proxy max bid to win. I'm ok with that, but don't have any idea if that was a fair price or not. I think I'll be happy to own it... just to look at it.... and that's the part of the hobby I enjoy the most anyway.

image >>

What size is it???
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭

<< <i>I won two of the four lots I bid on.

1. HK-425 1915 Panama Pacific Slug

2. One ounce silver Humbert fifty Dollar
    Octogonal Slug. >>

nice pickups bear image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • WalmannWalmann Posts: 2,806
    I'm not a medal collect myself, but my dad passed away and inherited a Wilson Dollar HK-449 graded by NGC. Being at the office I don't recall the grade but is either a AU58 or a low MS.

The sources I usually use for coins are not giving any information on this medal(?). Web search engines are not returning any hits either. Any of you know any info on this medal? I noticed the mention of a gold Wilson Dollar, but this one is silver.

Sorry if this is not the correct thread to post the question in.
  • BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Collecting of medals and SCDs is changing.

Where in the past, folks were content to collect

average or circ examples now it is the finest known

condition. The problem is that no one is sure what

the premiums should be on these uber grade coins.

Another issue, is the matter of pricing for PL and PL UCAM

examples of various SCDs. Again, it is a matter of guess

work, as there are no price guides on such items. These may

well be under priced on today's market.

I find that the facsimile of the 50 dollar gold slugs, seem very

under priced in grades of MS-65 and 66.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Denga: If the JK medal is a bronze, 36mm or 49 mm, with a "1" in exergue, this is likley just a practice strike to see how the stamped font appeared. However, if the Jesse Ketchum medal is gold or solver, it is likely that you have the first of its kind awarded to a student. If you tell me the size and the metal, I can provide the awardee.
    DrSynergy00001`
  • jonathonb: I am most grateful for the info you provided on the Jesse Ketchum medals. It never occurred to me that there may have been more bronze medals without numbers that the engravers kept for themselves! The small bronze medals with numbers like 3090, etc, were awarded in 1946, 1947, 1950-present. They are somewhat easy to obtain from the winners themselves, especially since 1990. Thanks again.

Since I have several more questions that collectors of JK medals might be able to answer, I plan to start a new thread on the topic.
    DrSynergy00001`

<< <i>I'm not a medal collect myself, but my dad passed away and inherited a Wilson Dollar HK-449 graded by NGC. Being at the office I don't recall the grade but is either a AU58 or a low MS.

The sources I usually use for coins are not giving any information on this medal(?). Web search engines are not returning any hits either. Any of you know any info on this medal? I noticed the mention of a gold Wilson Dollar, but this one is silver.

Sorry if this is not the correct thread to post the question in. >>

In AU 58 I would say $400.00 to $500.00 range, provided it was not a sea salvage example. IMHO. image

• ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Frankly, going back to the title of the thread, I don't know why moon money for anything stuns people any more.

<< <i>

What size is it??? >>

36.5 MM according to HA. I didn't measure it.

<< <i>

<< <i>In AU 58 I would say $400.00 to $500.00 range, provided it was not a sea salvage example. IMHO. image >>

Much thanks for the info, any recommendations on websites where I can find iout more about this medal?

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>In AU 58 I would say $400.00 to $500.00 range, provided it was not a sea salvage example. IMHO. image >>

Much thanks for the info, any recommendations on websites where I can find iout more about this medal? >>

Forum members tmot99's SC$ site

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm not a medal collect myself, but my dad passed away and inherited a Wilson Dollar HK-449 graded by NGC. Being at the office I don't recall the grade but is either a AU58 or a low MS.

In AU 58 I would say $400.00 to $500.00 range, provided it was not a sea salvage example. IMHO. image >>

I'd say this is a bit high given recent sales.
    DrSynergy March 06, 2008

Denga: If the JK medal is a bronze, 36mm or 49 mm, with a "1" in exergue, this is likley just a practice strike to see how the stamped font appeared. However, if the Jesse Ketchum medal is gold or silver, it is likely that you have the first of its kind awarded to a student. If you tell me the size and the metal, I can provide the awardee.

-------------------------
    DrSynergy00001`

It is silver but the trick now is to find it as I have a number of boxes with medals. As soon as it is found
    I will post the information.

Denga
    denga March 07, 2008

It is silver but the trick now is to find it as I have a number of boxes with medals. As soon as it is found
    I will post the information.

Denga

Update: I have found one of the JK silver medals. It is the large one and my memory was not quite
    exact. It is marked I.I. with the letter "I" having serifs at top and bottom. Also, on the reverse there is
    a die break from the top right-hand corner of the shield to the border.

I have not yet found the smaller silver.

Denga
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Much thanks for the info, any recommendations on websites where I can find iout more about this medal? >>

Forum members tmot99's SC$ site >>

Thanks Duiguy. I remember my dad talking about this medal, he believed it to be a coin, and finally obtained one in 2005, he passed the next year so at least he found one. Interesting facts and good to know why it was made, wonder if the Manila Mint titling was preventing the search engines from finding it.

• << <i>

In AU 58 I would say $400.00 to $500.00 range, provided it was not a sea salvage example. IMHO. image >>

Sea salvage example?image

<< <i>

<< <i>

Sea salvage example?image >>

Most of the Wilson Dollars were dumped into the sea. The copper ones are really tough to find. You'll frequently see both the silver and copper ones damaged due to the water.
  • Denga: the awardee for 49 mm silver Jesse Ketchum medal numbered II was Frederick Drumm in 1908 from Masten Park High School, second place high school senior award.
    DrSynergy00001`

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file