Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Interesting Question from eBay Bidder... how would you respond?

airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just got this question for a toned mint set I have listed, and am curious as to how you would reply.

hello
I am totally new to coin collecting and love these coins and thank you for offering them. I am cautious as a beginner but wonder can you guartanteed I get get them graded by pcgs or NGC and that they are not at [AT] toned. Thank you and apologies for my stupid beginner question but if I win and they are rejected by the grading companies I would most likely never collect coins again.
thank you

Now, I am 100% certain the coins and their colors are legit, and every one of them will slab. However, at the same time, the question seems to be setting me up for:
A- Buyer's remorse
B- Some dissatisfaction because of a misunderstanding

My gut was to reply that while I'm sure the coins are legit, this eBayer shouldn't be buying if he is that unknowledgeable about the items. The coins are textbook examples of NT mint set colors, and something just seems fishy here. The buyer has 100% positive (278) but I don't see any coins in his feedback.

Jeremy
JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

Comments

• Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    thats a toughie....pics would help US see the coins, but I have done that with Rpm's and Omm's before.......never had a problem
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    You should also explain the subjective and frequently inconsistent nature of third party grading.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    This is tricky. Id say to the buyer if he or she is not fimiliar with TPG standards for toning, and thats their intent(slabbing), maybe they should go another route. Even if they dont bid you may get them as a customer for your honesty. Im not saying they are AT, but it may be easier, safer in the long run instead of a potential problem.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see no way that you can guarentee what a third party grader will do.
    And I would tell that to the bidder, and recomend to him to look for coins that allready graded if that is what he wants.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tell the bidder to take up stamp collecting. Trust your instincts. This guy will cause you trouble if he wins.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    Voltaire: Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero.

• Options

Block him.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Add to the blocked bidder list then reply by saying it would be better of that "buyer" purchases slabbed coins by pcgs and ngc .
  • Options

<< <i>I see no way that you can guarentee what a third party grader will do.
    And I would tell that to the bidder, and recomend to him to look for coins that allready graded if that is what he wants.

image >>

Trustworthy BST sellers: cucamongacoin
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "To the best of my knowledge these coins have not been AT'd. Since they are a sealed set, it would be virtually impossible to AT them without removing them. However, I cannot guarantee what another person's opinion will be on any coin I sell. You are smart to be cautious buying raw coins on ebay. When doing so, your best bet is to stick with a seller who, like me, is honest with you, and who has demonstrated trustworthyness as reflected in their feedback."

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    This is no beginner.

• Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭

>>

I agree.
    Becky
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    My gut was to reply that while I'm sure the coins are legit, this eBayer shouldn't be buying if he is that unknowledgeable about the items. The coins are textbook examples of NT mint set colors, and something just seems fishy here. The buyer has 100% positive (278) but I don't see any coins in his feedback.

best advise you could give, short sweet and to the point image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't even bother responding. Might even add him to your blocked bidder list. If your gut is right and he has buyers remorse or some other dissatisfaction you'll be wishing you had avoided him in the first place.

Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    I agree, explain the potential issues of grading and tell them to buy coins already graded if they are worried.
  • Options

image >>

I agree that this would be his best route to follow.
    Crazy old man from Missouri
  • Options

<< <i>The buyer has 100% positive (278) but I don't see any coins in his feedback. >>

Buyer has probable been burned like the rest of us and is trying a more cautious approach to buying on ebay. Just looking for some assurance from the seller. Just the fact that you reply will put most buyers at ease. (I would advise not wording your reply in broken english image)

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    crispycrispy Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This is no beginner. >>

I agree. He understands and is just giving himself a way out if they don't slab. He's a beginner that's going to start submitting to a TPG right off the bat? Tell him no guarantee.

"to you, a hero is some kind of weird sandwich..."
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    This sure is a cynical bunch. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>This sure is a cynical bunch. image

Russ, NCNE >>

Not all of usimage

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    Tell him you are not making any guarantees that the coins will slab, and that you will accept returns within 7 days (if this is your policy) if the coins are not removed from the holders they were sent in.

Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭
    I dunno... I think sometimes people say exactly what they mean. It sounds to me that this buyer is simply looking for a certification guarantee, which isn't unheard of. It's a reasonable buyer that understands they need to ask first due to the time involved to get the item reviewed by PCGS or NGC.

You may be 100% certain about the legitimacy of the coins, airplanenut, but I wouldn't be so sure about whether they will all be slabbed. I don't think I would go out of my way to guarantee a common mint set, but I certainly wouldn't run this buyer off either. Just explain what others have already suggested.

Is every newbie a babe in the woods?
  • Options
    I wouldn't want to assume responsibility for any coin passing the grade at a TPG. It's too risky to accept this, and I'd explain that to him, and then would put him on to slabbed coins. The cost is a bit higher, but for the novice it could mean a world of difference in the hobby.
  • Options
    I would tell the bidder that although in your experience you feel confident that these coins are naturally toned, you cannot guarantee that the coins will grade by PCGS or NGC, and since he is new to collecting, he would be much better off buying slabbed coins. Although he will probably pay more money for certified coins, he will have the peace of mind knowing they are naturally toned. Only after he has purchased and examined enough coins to be able to competently determine AT from NT, would it then be advisable for him to bid on coins which are not certified. Otherwise, he will almost certainly get it wrong a good part of the time. That's the best advice you can give him. Thank him for his interest and wish him good luck in his collecting endeavors, but you do not think bidding on this auction is the right thing for him to do at this time.
  • Options
    chiefbobchiefbob Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    He's probably on this board, reading the responses right now. image

Retired Air Force 1965-2000
    Vietnam Vet 1968-1969
  • Options
    planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭

Russ, NCNE >>

Sure seems that way.
  • Options

<< <i>He's probably on this board, reading the responses right now. image >>

Bet it's Russ image

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole, but what do I know?image
    Ilikacoinsawholebuncha
  • Options
    I would advise him to buy coins already slabbed. I would say that in my opinion the coins were naturally toned but I couldn't and wouldn't guarantee what a 3rd party might think.
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

Russ, NCNE >>

What that saying..twice burned.....
  • Options
    <<Bet it's Russ>>

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While certification guarantees are not unheard of, that is the kind of service you pay for when you buy retail.

Cynic though it makes me, I think I'd come down with those who would not reply -- and block the bidder. Some hassles you just don't need.
    mirabela
  • Options
    Perhaps you take this opportunity to educate a new collector. Maybe you can agree on a price provided the coins are slabbed. Or you can offer a buy back if the coins come back AT. PCGS offers a service where the grader will provide the submitter with notes.

I tend to be cynical too and would most likely tell the would-be buyer to learn more about toning before buying raw coins.

I guess it all boils down to your gut feeling and how much potential grief you are willing to endure.
  • Options
    habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what a bunch of arrogant posters..

always looking at the negative sure a lot of that these days here.

try this one.................................

Welcome a new collector and invite them to the boards, to learn.
    Never know may even make a friend.

Course maybe reading some of the posts here will really turn them off.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The "I would most likely never collect coins again" part of the question seems like a veiled ultimatim. Simply state that due to the unpredictable nature of grading services, there's to way you or any other seller would be able to guarantee how a mint set would grade. Reiterate your return policy and recommend they study lots of toned coins already in slabs before blindly investing in plastic.
  • Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd tell him/her that if they are that concerned about it to only buy certified coins.

From ACG.
    MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You should also explain the subjective and frequently inconsistent nature of third party grading.

Russ, NCNE >>

I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Treat him/her as a newbie collector and advise that eBay is the worst place for a new collector to buy coins. Expond on the fact that it would be better to go to shows for a period of time to gain experience. Then tell him/her to come back and see you when the experience level gives him/her the confidence to buy without a total guarantee from you.

Ken
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A gentle word turns away wrath. Be kind, but firm.
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    Tell him to buy the book "Coin Buying is for Dummies" read it and then consider bidding on your auctions. I smell trouble!
  • Options

<< <i>I'd tell him/her that if they are that concerned about it to only buy certified coins.

From ACG. >>

image Seriously, I would probably block him and then respond telling him he should only buy slabbed coins.
    aka Dan
  • Options
    bumanchubumanchu Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭

I don't know how much the set you are talking about will sell for, but methinks his grading fees and associated costs would cost him more than the set you are selling.

That said, he is foolish to threaten you, as his bigger loss would be the costs of submitting if they weren't slabbable. So what is his recourse and just how much effort and energy is he willing to expend to prove your coins are the ones that "didn't" get slabbed?

I say your chain is being jerked.
    And I ain't lying this time.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file