Home U.S. Coin Forum

Tornado tears through my community...

...How safe are your coins?
It missed me by 1/2 mile but looking at the houses it hit, I don't think a safe would have survived.

Comments

• ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    get a cellar!!! put your coins in it!!!
  • morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw the devestation on the news.

I don't know how one could deal with losing everything.

Here in the NorthEast there is no real severe weather, well maybe a severe thunderstorm from time to time in the summer.

A few of those were F4's the real nasty twisters.

God bless you all.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    Who gives a crap about your coins. I'm glad to hear that YOU are safe. That's a lot more important than some pieces of metal.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most safes will survive but you might never find them.

I'm glad you are safe and feel for your neighbors.
    Tempus fugit.
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    If I lived in Tornado land I'm not sure what I would do. I grew up in MO but didn't own anything of value then. F5 tornados have been know to rip the asphalt off a paved road. Cows, cars, and other huge items have been photographed circulating inside them. Indeed a 500lb firesafe might get lost. A 2000lb safe would probably have a high enough weight to surface area ratio not to move very far. an underground vault would probably be the best in that it would also provide a place for you to hide. I guess it would be good to make it large enough to hold all your valuables...but then what to do about flooding? and don't trust an electric pump. no electricity when you really need it.

I don't think a bank vault would stand up to an F5 either. Anyone have any acutal knowledge here since I'm just guessing.

Whatever you do, don't move out here to CA where we have earthquakes. image

• << <i>Who gives a crap about your coins. I'm glad to hear that YOU are safe. That's a lot more important than some pieces of metal. >>

• ddbirdddbird Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭
    Even in Knoxville those storms were rough. I can't imagine their power out in Western Tennessee when they were cranking up. It's been a terrible few days, lots of buddies knew at least a few people effected...Especially at that college.
  • TavernTreasuresTavernTreasures Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I saw the devestation on the news.

Here in the NorthEast there is no real severe weather, well maybe a severe thunderstorm from time to time in the summer.

God bless you all. >>

I live in the northeast and lost a house in 1999 to Hurricane Floyd. I saw the same area flood again in 2007. The force of the moving water is unbelieveable. 50 years ago there were no floods in this area and it was not a flood zone. But because of all the building up and the loss of farmlands and open land, the rivers now, get too much water from all the storm drains pouring into them. These days the rivers overflow. I now live on high ground.
    Advanced collector of BREWERIANA. Early beer advertising (beer cans, tap knobs, foam scrapers, trays, tin signs, lithos, paper, etc)....My first love...U.S. COINS!
  • ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No even sure a safe bolted to the floor would be intact if a good size tornado hit the house it was in. I live in tornado alley and although it would not be a good thing if we got hit by one at all as long as my family was safe that would be the important thing. A storm cellar or some sort of foundation safe would be best, but in suburbia those are things of the past unfortunately.

K
    ANA LM
  • jgrinzjgrinz Posts: 985 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I saw the devestation on the news.

God bless you all. >>

OT -
    Don't be sure of the weather in New England
    The F-4 Worcester, MA Tornado is #19 in the all time Worst Storms list.
    "The Worcester storm, an F4 by most accounts, ranks 19th with 94 deaths across the region"
    It was in 1953
    Can't you see my safe in that funnel cloud image

Glad you are safe and sound

• The weather channel has storm documentary shows from time to time, last night they had tornados and the aftermath. One small
    town in South Dakota was leveled, they also showed a prized 1969 Mustang that was completely smashed up,
    it looks like the tornado picked it up and just banged it hard on the ground several times.
  • YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    Put them in your bath tub. That is the safest place in the house. Thank the good lord you and your family scaved the forces of mother earth. Global warming? Bullshi* Nasa is punching too many holes into our zone and you haven't seen nuttin yet my fellow weather watchers.
  • I keep my stuff in smaller safes (water/fire protected), and carry them to the cellar if it gets nasty.
    Derek

Looking for reasonable silver lots (rolls or bars preferred). PM me with what you have.
  • crispycrispy Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

<< <i>...How safe are your coins?
    It missed me by 1/2 mile but looking at the houses it hit, I don't think a safe would have survived. >>

Glad to hear that you made it.

My Dad lives in Gatlinburg. Had to call and make sure all was OK when this all came down.
    "to you, a hero is some kind of weird sandwich..."
  • ddbirdddbird Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>...How safe are your coins?
    It missed me by 1/2 mile but looking at the houses it hit, I don't think a safe would have survived. >>

Glad to hear that you made it.

My Dad lives in Gatlinburg. Had to call and make sure all was OK when this all came down. >>

Oh Gatlinburg...Honeymoon location of the South.

• LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    A floor safe in the foundation would survive. And if it didnt, there's no chance you would.

-David

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file