Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Does it make economic sense to slab a Goodacre?

I purchased a Goodacre from H.E. Harris #2141. Do you think it makes since now to send it away to have it slabbed and at what grade does it not make sense to get rid of that (ahem) beautiful ICG slab? Does the low number on the slab make any difference? Will its inclusion in the registry affect price?

Comments

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IrishMike, I'll give this one a shot and answer 'yes' to all of your questions. It's a jackpot if the coin slabs out at MS69 and now that it is a Registry participant (and not a coin looking in from the sidelines) I'd think the price would climb on these, certified.

peacockcoins

• Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Mike,

My guess is that a high quality coin (at least MS68) would be worth grading if your intention was to sell it. Otherwise, it probably should stay in it's native holder. I can't think the price on these guys will climb too dramatically. The number of registry participants willing to upgrade their collections to 2000-D MS68's at $250 per coin was small, and the number willing to pay $1500 per coin for the MS68 2001-D (much lower pop.) was even smaller. I think the market is still very thin for sacs selling for over $1000. Maybe 10 buyers. The supply of MS68+ coins is around 60 (about half of all submitted and only 2% have been submitted). They'll be valuable some day, but I think they'll take as long as the SBAs and Ikes to really appreciate.image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    supercoinsupercoin Posts: 2,323
    MS67 is probably the break-even point, above that you're in the money. I think the low number on the ICG slab nonsense has (thankfully) faded away.

Eventually I expect the majority of Goodacres left in IGC coins will be ugly coins that were not worth sending to have a grade assigned, and so eventually ICG coin prices will drop.

But if you're not worried about selling now, and you like your coin, there's no rush. Though I agree with your implied opinion of the beauty of that ICG slab. image
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For what it is worth Glenna and her manager choose ICG because they liked James Taylor and the others....they were contacted by all the biggies but choose ICG...taking them out of these holder to get a grade ruins the value of the fact that they were original Glenna coins...like taking a GSA silver dollar out of its holder....but hey if you think you can make more money now by getting a high grade on a holder then all the best to you....only time will tell! Best, Jon
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,413 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I Say YES because Most Good Acre's in Oregon are Turning into Houseing Developments.
      Economically It Makes No Sense Though.
    1. Options
      IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
      Jon, didn't I see one of your Goodacres go for over $1000 on Ebay? I have no immediate plans to slab or sell, just wanted to see what others thought. Boy it is one nice looking sac though.
    2. Options
      supercoinsupercoin Posts: 2,323
      Jon, I don't understand this comment: taking them out of these holder to get a grade ruins the value of the fact that they were original Glenna coins.

PCGS notes them as Goodacre coins on the label -- the pedigree is preserved. Unless you mean if it was a signed ICG slab or something.
    3. Options
      IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
      I was wondering the same thing supercoin. Jon is right though, time has spoken I see a PCGS MS68 on Ebay bid up to $680 ICG autographed selling in the $450 range and those not autographed less than $400. That was the reason for my original post, seems like their are market forces raising the price of graded Goodacres.
    4. Options
      BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
      All of this talk about slabs makes me think that it may be about time to make a run for some of Dr Hogley Wogleys Tyler texas style Bar B Que.
      There once was a place called
      Camelotimage
    5. Options
      DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
      Bear,

That Texas BBQ is O.K., but you guys like a dry ole beef brisket with molasses sauce. We in the Carolina's prefer pork barbecue with vinegar based dip, some with mustard and hot sauce.image
      Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
      and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor