Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Artis Gilmore Question

I read on wikipedia (and another site) that he is ineligible for the HOF until 2012. Is this true? If so, why?
"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."

Comments

• Options
    not a clue, but my friends in jr. high would always call him Fartis Gilmore....perhaps his flatulence was so deadly it forever burned the nostrils of former teammates and they are holding it against him.

p.s.

i love the quote from Dr. Evil LOL
  • Options
    Very impressive stats though:

NCAA rebounding champion in 1970 and 1971

- All-time NCAA Division I career rebounding average leader (22.7 rpg)

- One of five NCAA Division I players with career averages of 20+ ppg and 20+ rpg

- 1972 ABA MVP and Rookie of the Year

- ABA regular season single game record 40 rebounds versus New York, 2/3/74

- Four-time ABA rebounding champion (1972-74, 76)

- Two-time ABA field goal percentage champion (1972-73)

- Two-time ABA shot blocking champion (1972-73)

- 1974 ABA All-Star Game MVP

- 1975 ABA Playoff MVP

- Five-time All-ABA 1st Team selection (1972-76)

- Four-time ABA All-Defensive Team selection (1973-76)

- Appeared in 670 consecutive ABA/NBA games

- 11 All-Star selections in 17 ABA/NBA seasons

- Ranked in the top ten in rebounding in 12 of 17 ABA/NBA seasons

- Ranked in the top ten in blocked shots in 13 of 17 ABA/NBA seasons

- Ranked in the top ten in field goal percentage in 15 of 17 ABA/NBA seasons

- Four-time NBA field goal percentage champion (1981-84)

- One of seven unanimous selections to the 1997 ABA All-Time Team

- Ranks first in career ABA/NBA regular season field goal percentage (.582); also holds the NBA (.599) and ABA (.558) career records

- Ranks third in career ABA/NBA regular season blocked shots (3178)

- Ranks fifth in career ABA/NBA regular season rebounds (16,330)

- Ranks 18th in career ABA/NBA regular season points (24,491)
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Didn't get enough votes to remain on the ballot, so I guess that's when his veterans committee consideration kicks in.
  • Options
    wikipedia gives you the answer

"Gilmore remains ineligible for consideration of Hall of Fame enshrinement until 2012 [BECAUSE] For the past three years he failed to receive a single vote of support from a panel of nine basketball experts serving on the North American screening committee"

Veterans Committee wouldn't be able to select him until 2023 as his career ended in 1988
    Tom
  • Options
    Thank you TomG for that info. My question is who are these "experts" doing the voting. Last year this panel did not enshrine a single player in the Hall only coaches and a Ref and Wikipedia Basketball Hall Of Fame site contains the following quote "Controversy has arisen over many aspects of the Hall's voting procedures including the anonymity of the voters. The other major sports' Halls of Fame make the debate transparent and sportswriters and other voters openly debate their choices. Springfield has also been widely criticized for its tendency to enshrine active collegiate coaches and relatively obscure players while there are notable omissions". These experts are ruining the honor associated with be entered into the Hall. Not only for these worthy players but for the fans who watched them play and supported them. Besides Gilmore they have missed Adrian Dantley,Dennis Johnson and other worthy candidates that many of us who follow this sport would have had in there years ago.
  • Options
    All i know is he had one of the coolest fro's in BBall...........right up there with Dr. J. Well, actually better!
    "You must understand the difference in things that are similar, and the similarity of things that are different"

• Options
    basketballcollectorbasketballcollector Posts: 332 ✭✭✭
    edited July 5, 2022 10:00PM
    nevermind
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭
    I think Adrian Dantley is the most overlooked deserving HOF'er in ANY SPORT. The voting definitely is a joke. How can you comtinue to place mroe emphasis on coaching and administration than on the players who actually performed on the court??? Hopefully this year's results will bring more pallitable results. Dantley, D.J. and King are all guys who deserve serious looks.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    You are correct on all counts: Dantley was a machine for a bad team. DJ was the glue that held one of the greatest teams every together. (I assume you mean Bernard) King had a great career and was the most dominant scorer in the league right before the Jordan era. To put it into perspective in terms of eras, this would be the equivalent of Miller, Isiah and Malone not getting in.
  • Options
    pomobileclkpomobileclk Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
    If I remember correctly, Red Auerbach was very anti -ABA and had a lot of influence over the HOF selection committee.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    jacksonville. represent.
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    pomobileclkpomobileclk Posts: 224 ✭✭✭