Home PSA Set Registry Forum

O Pee Chee

Just out of curiosity - how many board members collect OPC? I've been collecting them more than Topps for the past year, and I'm really enjoying them. I collect mainly early 80's and late 70's baseball and I love the smaller sets that OPC released during those years. Especially if you're looking to build a Set Registry set - the OPC sets are a little less time and $$ consuming. In particular, I've been looking to start '79 & '84 OPC graded sets. Having the Ozzie & Mattingly rookie cards as the cornerstones of those sets has sweetened the idea a bit too.

Any thoughts or any collectors with shared interest out there?
Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
Jeff

Comments

• I like the sets too, because they are sometimes smaller sets, and most of all, the difficulty in finding them in high grade. I started with some OPCs for my player sets, and dabbled in a few of the others years, but have stopped. I still collect them for my player sets, but stopped collecting other OPCs. I still have a few if you are interested. But they are nice. Even the high grades I have have the rough edges.
    I collect PSA graded 1980-81 Basketball.

Successful transactions with bouwob, lifeshouldbefun, SDSportsFan, Bkritz, tsalems1, kwtoz, johnny1976, Topps29, Calaban7, nascar20, bking, bedellsonics, Beck6, Dialj, Echocanyon, mdkuom, gosteelers, artimus.
  • i also collect the OPC for my player sets - very fun to collect b/c they arent as obviously easy to obtain as the reg topps issues
    collecting:
    1990 leaf in (10)
    1986 topps mets (10)
    2008 ring kings cut signatures
    any Darryl Strawberry, Dwight Gooden, Keith Hernandez cards in (10)
  • FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    I find the OPC's tougher to find than Topps and it adds to the enjoyment and feeling of accomplishment.

Frank B
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    Absolutely. I'm kind of waiting for the OPC Registry Sets to catch on like the Topps have already. Because many of the sets include the major rookie cards - other than 80 lacking a Henderson rookie, 82 lacking the Ripken & 83 missing the Boggs rookie card.
    Jeff
  • DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭
    OPC set are what I've been working on almost exclusively.
    I'm doing Registry sets from 77 and 78, and Raw sets from 79-89.
    I like to stick to the smaller OPC sets that's why I'm doing 77-89. The raw sets I'm putting in graded HOFers and key Rookies.

Edited because I can't spell
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
    Those are all great years! I agree - the smaller sets are the ones I'm focusing on as well.
    Jeff
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love the OPC rough cut and thicker card stock! Actively collecting 1972, 1973 & 1975!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭
    I like to think that slowly but surely OPC baseball is starting to get the love it has always deserved. I don't collect the baseball version but I've collected OPC hockey for years and I know high grade 1970s and '80s OPC hockey is much easier to find than OPC baseball from that period.
  • Jeff, I have been collecting OPC Baseball since back in the mid 70's. My favorite is 1969, and is probably
    the reason I have the #1 and #2 sets! I also have The #2 1965, the #2 1968 and the #2 1970 OPC
    Baseball sets. I think they are very very undervalued. They create a real challenge for just about any
    year from 1965-1975 and even a couple in the 80's. Good luck on your venture!

Tony
    KalineFan

• ok

so wtf i was trackin the 77 opc randolph in psa 10 and was lookin at throwing a modest snipe when 7 minutes to go i cant get into the auction. I searched the completed and nothin image
  • aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    I put together raw 77,78 and 79 OPC sets from wax boxes. The prices for wax is still reasonable and the amount of cards in the set makes putting a raw set together fairly easy.

From the boxes I opened (79's in particular) I would imagine it is extremely difficult to put a PSA 9 or better set together.
    Thanks Tony - I don't know much about the '69 set, but I can only imagine how hard that was to put together. Are you 100% on those sets? I just bought a whole boatload of '84 OPC wax from BBC - I think I'm going to sit on it for a while.
    Jeff
  • gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Hi guys,
    I collect OPC from 1965-1969, 1973, and 1975. I do have some others for sale now on eBay...

Thanks,
    Mark

Shameless plug for my OPCs
  • 1neatstuff1neatstuff Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭
    hi jeff these sets are undervalued for sure the problem is there isnt as many people who collect them..with that said i am trying to finish off my 1965 opc and 1971 but i do collect all opc stars from various years...good luck with your venture...i also agree with fb on these when you get it done the feeling of accomplishment is great
    One of my better efforts at an OPC heavy sub (don't believe I posted this one here). All these cards were pulled from wax packs:

LINE # CERT # CARD CARD CO. CARD # CARD NAME VARIETY GRADE
    1 08242025 1972 O-PEE-CHEE 353 ART SHAMSKY N/A 8
    2 08242026 1972 O-PEE-CHEE 467 STEVE KLINE N/A 9
    3 08242027 1972 O-PEE-CHEE 354 TOM MURPHY N/A 9
    4 08242028 1975 TOPPS 228 GEORGE BRETT N/A 8
    5 08242029 1973 O-PEE-CHEE 274 DAROLD KNOWLES N/A 10
    6 08242030 1973 O-PEE-CHEE 609 ROOKIE 2nd BASEMEN L.BLANKS/P.GARCIA/D.LOPES 9OC
    7 08242031 1973 O-PEE-CHEE 562 WAYNE GARRETT N/A 10
    8 08242032 1973 O-PEE-CHEE 275 TONY PEREZ N/A 8
    9 08242033 1973 O-PEE-CHEE 80 TONY OLIVA N/A 9
    10 08242034 1973 O-PEE-CHEE 379 CY ACOSTA N/A 8
    11 08242035 1973 O-PEE-CHEE 68 LEADING FIREMEN C.CARROLL/S.LYLE 9
    12 08242036 1973 O-PEE-CHEE 196 KEN McMULLEN N/A 9
    13 08242037 1973 O-PEE-CHEE 533 LARRY STAHL N/A 9
    14 08242038 1973 O-PEE-CHEE 623 STEVE RENKO N/A 9
    15 08242039 1973 O-PEE-CHEE 330 ROD CAREW N/A 8
    16 08242040 1973 O-PEE-CHEE 618 ANDY ETCHEBARREN N/A 9
    17 08242041 1973 O-PEE-CHEE 426 DAVE LAROCHE N/A Not Holdered, Evidence of Trimming
    18 08242042 1973 O-PEE-CHEE 575 DOCK ELLIS N/A 9
    19 08242043 1973 O-PEE-CHEE 386 DON MONEY N/A 9
    20 08242044 1973 O-PEE-CHEE 526 OLLIE BROWN N/A 9

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Wow, that is a great sub! Congrats!
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
    grote very nice sub ...i noticed you did have 1 1973 opc that says evid of trimming i have had that once also and these came fresh from packs i opened...kinda odd how it seems like we always get one of those per sub...nice job on the 1973 opc..i have sold maybe over 100 of these packs on ebay ..can i ask where you got your packs from?.terryimage
    grote very nice sub ...i noticed you did have 1 1973 opc that says evid of trimming i have had that once also and these came fresh from packs i opened...kinda odd how it seems like we always get one of those per sub...nice job on the 1973 opc..i have sold maybe over 100 of these packs on ebay ..can i ask where you got your packs from?.terry

Thanks, guys, appreciate the kind words!

Yeah, I'm not sure how a card pulled fresh from a pack can be labeled "Evid Trim" but I suppose with OPC issues it may be due to the primitive cutting methods Topps employed which probably resulted in some cards being a shade "short" on one edge or another.

Most of these packs were GAI graded wax, including a few I purchased from you, and a few raw ones I picked up a few years ago from a reputable seller. Only drawback with 73 OPc wax packs, though, as I'm sure you already know, is that you're lucky to find one very well centered card per pack, maybe two at most, with the other 8-9 being OC.

hi grote that what i was wondering if some of the packs you opened were from me...i had 6 boxes of these that i had purchased a while back from a case find out of toronto...i had 4 boxes graded and 2 raw boxes which i have since opend...(bad habit of mine)...and you are right it is very hard to get well centered cards...but it looks as if you did very well congrats...i have still yet to pull a schmidt r.c though..when i get bored i crack a few gai packs that i still have...terryimage
  • Here are a few of my favorite OPC cards..........

Dave D.
    hey dave these are awesome...verd hard to find any psa 10 opc baseball good job....image
  • anyone know about 1990 baseball OPC ? - there are few 1990 OPC just listed on ebay - my question is that the flips cleary say OPC but the scan shows cards that say topps ? did they stop printing OPC on the cards from the 1990 set ? - sorry if this is a common knowledge question, i just always thought the OPC had OPC on the front and not topps

link
    collecting:
    1990 leaf in (10)
    1986 topps mets (10)
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    OPC boys: I have a 3200 count box of commons and minor stars from 69-79. If you have any specific needs, please PM me and I will go through them. Condition ranges from VG to NM/MT. (Majority of cards are pretty nice.......71's are probably the roughest, 73 and 75 the best). I have no idea on price but I'll work you a fair deal. If by chance someone would be interested in all of these, I will give you a per card volume discount price.

Best,

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • I am a numbers guy. For example, everyone has been all over Shelby Mustangs for about 15-20 years now. I went out and bought a 1969 Mach 1 Cobrajet, 4 speed , Drag pak car instead. Eights years ago I paid about 25% of what a Shelby went for and it is a much more rare car than any Shelby. I feel the same way about the OPC's. Very few made and even less left that are in gradeable condition. I love those OPC's. I really miss that Mach 1.

Coach Tom
    Always interested in Hank Aaron items-currently buying Aaron OPC singles or lots-graded or raw.

• << <i>OPC boys: I have a 3200 count box of commons and minor stars from 69-79. If you have any specific needs, please PM me and I will go through them. Condition ranges from VG to NM/MT. (Majority of cards are pretty nice.......71's are probably the roughest, 73 and 75 the best). I have no idea on price but I'll work you a fair deal. If by chance someone would be interested in all of these, I will give you a per card volume discount price.

Best,

Ron >>

PM Sent

Stay Classy
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • I am going to be putting up a 400 card lot of OPC 1971's on ebay. Like RonBurgundy mentioned with his 71's they are kinda rough, but it's close to 400 different cards with some HoFers. Nothing fantastic, but this is a small look:
  • kimo75kimo75 Posts: 263 ✭✭
    PM Sent Ron
  • tried this here before but one more time before I send them back
    I have three boxes of 1982 O Pee Chee baseball each with 36 UNOPENED wax packs. pm me if you are interested.
    Ron,

PM sent
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
    Jeff
  • jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    Jeff, PM sent thanks

jim
  • ICE9ICE9 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭
    I like OPC a lot. As mentioned above, smaller sets, thicker stock and more vibrent colors. I also the the photo varients in the '77 set. If I remember correctly there's a nice Gary Carter photo varient in that set. However, the '71 black boarders don't mix well with the rough cuts. I cracked a '71 OPC pack a few years ago. The backs are very clean and nicely centered...not sure if any are gradeable though.

Mike
    "Must these Englishmen Live That I Might Die? Must They Live That I Might Die?" - The Blue Oyster Cult
    Mike, in my opinion - most of those are gradeable. PSA is very lenient on the OPC edges. That's a great looking lot of '71s. As long as the centering is good and the corners are sharp - I'd give 'em a shot.
    Jeff
    Agree with 80s. PSA will not penalize your for rough cuts on OPC issues, as I have gotten several PSA 10s from 1973 & 1975 OPC with the rough cut. Those are fantastic cards, Mike, VERY well centered for that year. That pack was definitely a good one. Where did you purchase it, if you don't mind me asking?

Edit: spelling.

• cuda440cuda440 Posts: 150 ✭✭
    my favorite '75 OPC card.
    PSA was really tough on this one, even the back is dead-centered. The top edge is slightly rough, though. IMO were it any other player card it might have graded a 10 instead..

• FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Great looking card Cuda!
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
    Grote15 - I purchased two 1971 OPC Baseball packs from Dave & Adams Card World. It was actually more than "a few years ago", it was probably around 1999-2000. I opened one pack and the other was set to GAI - graded 7.5. Sold that pack on eBay about 3-4 years ago. Dave & Adams had a lot of vintage packs back then and pack prices were fairly reasonable before GAI pack grading & the set registry. I don't recall how much I paid for the '71 OPC baseball packs (I think they were $45 each) but I do know that I paid $200 for a '72 Topps Football 3rd series pack and a '72 Topps Basketball pack.

Mike
    "Must these Englishmen Live That I Might Die? Must They Live That I Might Die?" - The Blue Oyster Cult
    I don't recall how much I paid for the '71 OPC baseball packs (I think they were $45 each)

Wow, Mike that was a bargain! image They go for at least twice that now.

Super cards!

Cuda, that is a super sharp Ryan card, perfect centering L/R but it is a tad OC T/B which may be the reason it didn't grade out gem mint. I also believe PSA is tougher on cards of that value.

As requested:

• To answer an earlier question, in 1990 OPC did keep the Topps logo on the front for some reason.
    The trick with the 1990 OPC set is that there are two different backs, a bright white back and a greyish back. Unlike the 81 OPC greybacks, you were able to get both back variants in each pack, with a ratio of about 2 white backs per pack. Very very very tough to put a set together of just white backs. They are tough to discern when looking at them flat on, but stacking the cards in a box, the difference is quite clear... almost the same as putting Topps traded vs regular Topps end to end. Just a little info.
    (TOP is white-back)
    (BOTTOM is grey-back)
    Do You Collect image Baseball 1937,1965-94,2008-09?
    Or Regional Canadian Baseball Issues?
    Come be a contributor to the OPC Baseball Wiki. It's free and easy!
    OPeeChee.Wikispaces.Com

• << <i>To answer an earlier question, in 1990 OPC did keep the Topps logo on the front for some reason.
    The trick with the 1990 OPC set is that there are two different backs, a bright white back and a greyish back. Unlike the 81 OPC greybacks, you were able to get both back variants in each pack, with a ratio of about 2 white backs per pack. Very very very tough to put a set together of just white backs. They are tough to discern when looking at them flat on, but stacking the cards in a box, the difference is quite clear... almost the same as putting Topps traded vs regular Topps end to end. Just a little info.
    (TOP is white-back)
    (BOTTOM is grey-back)
    >>

thanks for the info - was really hoping someone was able to answer my question
    collecting:
    1990 leaf in (10)
    1986 topps mets (10)
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    daywalker- Those were my 1990 OPC that you saw on ebay. If you're interested in any of the others I have listed in my store, I will give you a deal. (PS- The Thomas sold for $92 to a best offer).
    Can someone post the pop report for 1971 OPC BASEBALL #289 RUSTY STAUB?

Thanks,

Mike

• << <i>daywalker- Those were my 1990 OPC that you saw on ebay. If you're interested in any of the others I have listed in my store, I will give you a deal. (PS- The Thomas sold for $92 to a best offer). >>

i was actually interested in that thomas - it was a sweet card - congrats on the sale ! if by some chance you get another one please let me know
    collecting:
    1990 leaf in (10)
    1986 topps mets (10)

• << <i>Can someone post the pop report for 1971 OPC BASEBALL #289 RUSTY STAUB?

Thanks,

Mike >>

according to pop there is 1 copy in (6), 1 in (7)& 1 in (8)
    collecting:
    1990 leaf in (10)
    1986 topps mets (10)
    Thanks for the pop report info.
  • 2 of my favorite OPC from my player sets
    collecting:
    1990 leaf in (10)
    1986 topps mets (10)
    How funny,,,, The Hernandez is a POP 3 and all three have shown up on the boards today.
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15