Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What coin has become the primo investment in the last 40 years!

Just wanted to know what you know now,if you had to invest in one coin what would of it been?image
achillesaero

Comments

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Knowing what I know now? J-1776.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would imagine there are many correct answers here. How many $$$ would you have been investing?

BTW, coins and investing are really not a compatible combo. Sometimes it works, but all too many just end up losing $$$
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    rolls of `16 d dimes?
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    1950-D nickels. image
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    yes, lots of great answers to this question
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Problem free AU Chain cents

and 1955 1 cent double dies (im sure they didnt cost much 40 years ago)

Ankur
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,073 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The answers probably lie in condition rarity 20th century issues. A 1945 dime in 67FB comes to mind.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The answers probably lie in condition rarity 20th century issues. A 1945 dime in 67FB comes to mind. >>

But... But... How could you possible do that? No grading services were available to tell you the grade.... image
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The answers probably lie in condition rarity 20th century issues. A 1945 dime in 67FB comes to mind. >>

Actually, the first non-flippant thing that came to my mind was a gem BU '53-S Franklin with full bell lines.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nah. If you only get to invest in ONE coin, it's gotta be a big one. 10,000% return doesn't do much good if you only net a $100k. image
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1893 S Morgan Dollars were under $10 in circulated grades (I think)
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options

<< <i>1955 1 cent double dies (im sure they didnt cost much 40 years ago)

Ankur >>

Actually they did. They were overpriced IMO. Adjusted for inflation, you could do much better than the '55 DD.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
  • Options
    Going back 40 years, I'd do a mad search for a '64 Peace Dollar.

Go to the Denver Mint and talk to everyone I could and flash a wad of C-Notes. You never know what might turn up.

A few of them did get out and back then, if you could find one, it would be a steal. You could retire on it's value today.

A copper '43 cent also comes to mind. They were available and not all that expensive relative to today.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Going back 40 years, I'd do a mad search for a '64 Peace Dollar.

Go to the Denver Mint and talk to everyone I could and flash a wad of C-Notes. You never know what might turn up.

A few of them did get out and back then, if you could find one, it would be a steal. You could retire on it's value today.

A copper '43 cent also comes to mind. They were available and not all that expensive relative to today. >>

I agree with Deadhorse. You could have probably picked up a 64-D dollar for $10K or so!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I should coulda woulda bought a coin in 19XX for $25K that is still out there and pushing closer to $1M market value. Only recently obtained a lead on the location, so... image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    30X to 50X gain is pretty standard for superb condition rarities from the 60's to 70's. But as Mr. Eureka said the real value was in moderns in top pop grades. No one cared about FB, FBL, FSteps,
    FullTorch, coins in those days (except for a few early birds who most figured were nuts). Or how about monster cameo proofs or varieties
    Even something as simple as true MS67 washingtons probably cost little to no premium to MS65's back in the 60's or 70's. Your $5 could become $5,000. So 1000X to 10,000X is the goal on this one.

Though I do like TDN's choice of J-1776 and going for the $10 MILL in one fell swoop. How much did J-1776 cost in the 60's or 70's when it was sold then? $100K?

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting topic. Deadhorse, I greatly suspect some '64-D dollars "made it out alive" but I was under the impression that if any did, and came to light, they'd still be subject to seizure, let alone be able to sell one openly. Could you enlighten me?
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In 1968 a generic double eagle was 55-60 bucks.

Today......900-1000
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was real easy to find nice, rare, Unc Morgans. Silver dollars were just exiting the scene and many
    silver dollars were flooding into the coin shops. If you knew where to look or had a friend in the business
    you could make out just fine with 93s, 89cc, 94, and 03s in high circulated grades or even Uncs and a very
    reasonable price (as compared to today). The problem with the whole invest for the future is that you
    now have tied your money up for 40 years. Can't say that that is the best option, but what the hey,
    if it floats your boat then it's for you!
    bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    A 1965 or 1966 Deep Cameo Half in MS68 purchased in a SMS set for the going price at the time. About $1.00 then = $11,000.00 now.
    John
    Chance favors the prepared mind.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pan Pac $50. Round or octagonal.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file