Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How come the Online and Printed Population reports don't match for 1795 Small Head Half Dollars?

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭✭
My October 2007 Printed version shows 29, while the online shows 30. THAT'S NOT THE ISSUE. I'm sure they've received one submission in that time.

My question comes with the breakouts:

Printed states:
18 VG-VF, 2 AU55, 1 AU58, and 1 MS62 for a total of 22. That means that 7 are graded below VG to get to 29.

Online states:
16 VG, 6 F, 2 VF (total 24 VG-VF), 2 AU55, 1 AU58, and 1 MS62 for a total of 28. This means there are 2 graded below VG.

So, how can the grades VF and below be so mismatched on the two population reports?

I'd appreciate any input anyone has.

Comments

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two years ago my PCGS VG10 was a pop 10/10, now it is 8/6 (online). Possibly some cert numbers turned in, but I still doubt if 8 VG10's exist in PCGS slabs. I think some were upgrade attempts, mine probably was, as it is close or at F12. A have not seen many below VG, or in AU or above.

The pops alway have some errors, I would not rely on them for any census data. Bottom line is they are rare.

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    Can't get enough of your O-128!

• Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just curious, has PCGS always recognized the small head? I know they attribute now as well, but don't know if they have always put it on the holder.
    Also, Nysoto..... do you know the total amount of small heads graded by PCGS? I understand some of the ones graded are probably crack-outs. Thanks!
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    I've seen several Small Head halves in the Old Green Holders with the "6052" PCGS coin number, which is the number for a traditional "Flowing Hair Half" and therefore, I don't believe is registered in the Pop reports. I don't know if PCGS has always recognized them though.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe both PCGS and NGC have made in-house notes of certain varieties over the years even if those varieties were not labeled on the insert. Therefore, they may have a more accurate count of this variety than is shown within their pop reports.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks..... also waiting to hear from Nysoto??????image
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Also, Nysoto..... do you know the total amount of small heads graded by PCGS? I understand some of the ones graded are probably crack-outs. Thanks! >>

Stman, I don't know how many small heads PCGS has graded. A recent small hoard was sold though Heritage and then to HLRC, and more will be sold this summer. Some big preturb collections have been sold - Reiver and Westmoreland.

It is a rare sub-type that is surprisingly not mentioned in the Redbook, very few exist above F-15.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file