Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

FAKE PATCH on ebay

A good friend of mine sold a Colts Quad game used card on eBay a little while back. It has recently resurfaced on eBay with different fabric in it. Here's the link:

FAKE Colts Quad

I just emailed my friend to see if he still has the link to the auction where he sold it. If he does, I'll be sure to pass that along as well.

Just thought I'd pass along the info in case anyone found interest in this card.

Comments

• Options
    gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭
    I just spoke with my friend and apparently he sold the card back in September, so ebay has long since removed the listing. The original card had 1 or 2 color swatches in each window...none of this logo stuff. I guess the seller is notorius for this sort of thing and there's a thread about it over on Beckett as well. The current seller paid $227 for it originally.
  • Options
    This pic from the auction says it all:

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Just out of curiosity, how does one replace the patches in a card like this without destroying it??
  • Options
    After a bit of digging, here's the original auction. LINK

The Manning, Harrison & Wayne swatches were all 1 color and the Addai was 2 color.

Miserable ebay scum...
  • Options

<< <i>Just out of curiosity, how does one replace the patches in a card like this without destroying it?? >>

I was curious too.
  • Options
    Depending on the card they will either remove it from the front or will peel apart the card and then put it back together. Since the front looks clean I would guess it was the latter.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Threads sticking out over the front edge of the frame is a clear indication of reinsertion. Typically 3 sides of the swatch will be well "tucked" and the last edge will look very rough, not as smooth as the other sides.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    What's sick is that he paid over $200 for a card just to chop it up. He has several other cards with swatches cut from the same patch as the Quad Colt's card.
  • Options
    I sent the seller a link to the thread and encouraged him to come on here.

He won't.
  • Options
    I'm glad you did that. He's been on watch lists for this kind of thing for awhile. He's not new to the game.
  • Options
    Here's the before and after...

imageimage
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Way to ruin a nice card dummy
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Craig and he did this for what reason? The logo swatches are worth more then just plain old material? I mean can he double his money in this way?

I guess since he has a reserve we (or i) can't tell how much more he is trying to make.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Also by peeling the card did he ruin the hologram type effect I see? Or is that just a scan thingy.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Here's the before and after...

imageimage >>

That scum bleached off the metallic rainbow also!!! image
  • Options

<< <i>Craig and he did this for what reason? The logo swatches are worth more then just plain old material? I mean can he double his money in this way?

I guess since he has a reserve we (or i) can't tell how much more he is trying to make.

Steve >>

From the looks of it, this guy makes a living ruining game used material. There's actually a guy who has been keeping track of this guy's purchases and sales. Here's a few more examples:

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage

From what I've read about this seller today, Upper Deck has already threatened a lawsuit and DLP has said they're collecting information. It's amazing what some people will do for a quick profit. Sad, too.
  • Options

<< <i>Also by peeling the card did he ruin the hologram type effect I see? Or is that just a scan thingy.

Steve >>

My assumption would be that it's just a difference in scanner settings. Then again, I could be wrong.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Have they also been tracking the $ he has been making?? He does make money doing this? Right?

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    That I'm not sure of...the guy that's tracking it said that DLP is supposedly waiting for his profits to get to a certain level and then hit him with a felony. That's heresay, but it's all I got.
  • Options
    Auction taken down and all of his auctions are private now....
  • Options
    His method is to remove the patch/swatch through the framing hole and insert the same way, he doesn't peal or remove the top layer first.
  • Options
    Well i guess he saw the thread.

what an ass............image

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Well i guess he saw the thread.

what an ass............image

Steve >>

The REALLY sad part is that it still hasnt stopped him