Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Good/Decent/Any Shops in San Diego?

I'm sitting in the airport right now waiting for a flight to San Diego and thought I might have a bit of time on Saturday to visit a shop. Anybody know if these dying breeds exist down there?

Thanks,

Kurt
IWTDMBII

Comments

• Options

<< <i>I'm sitting in the airport right now waiting for a flight to San Diego and thought I might have a bit of time on Saturday to visit a shop. Anybody know if these dying breeds exist down there?

Thanks,

Kurt >>

There's one a block or so from the main Gaslamp district very close to Petco. I think he's long established, although when I visited in September 06 the shop seemed a bit upside down, so think we may have moved premises quite recently. He had a ton of nice stuff old stuff in cases and probably newer stuff, but wasn't looking for that.

I was looking for a lot of 1972 baseball commons and he looked them out for me and I came back a few days later. I don't know if it was because I was from the UK and thought I was a bit of a daftie, or if he's one of the old school dealers who live and die by Beckett, but he was looking for fairly close to High book value. The condition of them were pretty decent though, but no way was I paying that. I think he knocked a fair chunk off his original price and I was happy enough as I was on vacation, had the money, and don't get to visit card shops too often.

Think it was imaginatively called 'San Diego Sports Cards', though could be mistaken. As I said, thought they had a lot of nice stuff in the cases, but don't remember it being priced up which can be a pain.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are four shops that I used to haunt in my younger days, and would later stop by every time I was in town. It's been four years since I've been out there (it's my home town), so best to call them ahead of time to make sure they're still there.

Centre City Sports Collectibles

1043 Sixth Avenue
    San Diego, CA 92101-5201
    619 338 0007
    Open Hours
    10a-6p M-Sa, 10a-2p Su
    Overview
    Attention all sports fans! This is the shop to go to if you're looking for that special collector's card to fill out your collection. In this shop, sports fanatics (and those who love them) will find the perfect gift. Sports cards from the worlds of baseball, football, basketball, hockey, soccer, golf, horseracing, boxing and many obscure sports line the walls from floor to ceiling. Also on hand are autographed balls, helmets and jerseys. The helpful staff will also search for that elusive sports card free of charge.

Baseball Cards Plus
    5587 Clairemont Mesa Blvd
    San Diego
    858-565-2273

All Star Cards
    8781 Cuyamaca St
    Santee
    619-562-1975

Here's another one I forgot about:

CJs Sports Cards and Memorabilia

Steve

P.S. Please let me know if you go to any of them, and how they are. I'm thinking about heading out there this coming spring/summer. image

• Options

<< <i>Centre City Sports Collectibles

1043 Sixth Avenue
    San Diego, CA 92101-5201
    619 338 0007
    Open Hours
    10a-6p M-Sa, 10a-2p Su
    Overview
    >>

That's the one I was thinking of. Watch that High Beckett value though.image
  • Options
    kmnortonkmnorton Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    Thanks a lot and I will report back if I get to one of them.

Kurt
    IWTDMBII
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I'm not sure, but enjoy your time in A Whale's Vagina.
  • Options
    kmnortonkmnorton Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    Lee, you truely are one-of-a-kind! Dipping and all.
    IWTDMBII