Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

2-1969 Mint Bureau Japan The Rare One

I have two of these sets for sale. I wanted to list them here before I listed them on E-bay. These were once worth $1000.00 each. I have two. Very Low mintage.
IF you show any interest PM me with offers and maybe I can save some Ebay fees. Jim

Comments

• Options
    Your examples of Japan's first ever mint sets both seem to have less PVC damage than mine, which cost me about $650 a number of years ago.

Thank goodness the Japan Mint Bureau changed to hard cases in 1984!
    Roy

• Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    How do the reverses look? I am not in the market to buy a set, just curious.
  • Options
    HiBuckyHiBucky Posts: 582 ✭✭✭
    The backs are in the same condition ..
  • Options
    I see.
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Considering the PVC packaging, can these be found without damage, now almost 40 years later? It seems painful to think the coins are in such a hazardous environment, but I imagine taking them out would sort of defeat the pupose of buying them in a set. Is thre anything a collector could do to preserve them in situ? Inquiring minds want to know...

• Options
    Thase are interesting questions Stork. I don't know the answers to them but I hope someone here will be able to comment.
  • Options
    I haven't found any thing useful in several years of looking.

My 1974 set is a total disaster with a ton of green gunk all over the coins. image
    Roy

• Options
    a039a039 Posts: 1,546
    Am I the only one that feels "PM me with offers" is a like a non transparent auction?

Not just this posting BTW...
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Considering the PVC packaging, can these be found without damage, now almost 40 years later? It seems painful to think the coins are in such a hazardous environment, but I imagine taking them out would sort of defeat the pupose of buying them in a set. Is thre anything a collector could do to preserve them in situ? Inquiring minds want to know... >>

Probably, but I never tried.

Dry cold would at least slow down the problem a lot.

I didn't realize these early sets were in the same packaging. Something had led
    me to believe they were in paper envelopes.

Removing the coins isn't really an option with these sets because of the huge set
    premium but it's likely part of this premium is caused by the difficulty of finding
    these coins in unc. They are really tough and that goes double for the 100Y.

I cut up the later sets and clean them in alcohol or acetone. Some of these are
    getting tough to find without extensive damage. The '75 seems worse than oth-
    ers. I wonder if the later dates would be much more common if all the badly dam-
    aged sets are discounted.
    Tempus fugit.