Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Raw Ebay coins that got slabbed- got any?

I currently have 5 raw half-dimes from Ebay in for grading at PCGS and am anxiously awaiting the results. I have had many forum members give me fair warning as to the idiocy of this practiceimage.
So, while I wait, I'll post 3 coins from the bay that were successfully slabbed. Let's see yours!

1827 PCGS XF-40 - bought off Ebay for $128

"College men from LSU- went in dumb, come out dumb too..."
-Randy Newmanimage

Comments

• Options

1824 PCGS VF-35- bought off ebay raw for about $90

-Randy Newmanimage
  • Options

1857 $1 Indian PCGS AU-58- bought raw off ebay for about $260- paid too much, was hoping for MS-62 or so...

-Randy Newmanimage
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't posted this in a while. It wasn't just a raw purchase from eBay, but a raw gold purchase from eBay. This pic is before slabbing; it's now PCGS MS 63.

• Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    This was a raw purchase on e-bay. 11 Ikes for $23.25 including shipping. This one graded MS67 and now resides in the Hall of Fame Collection of James Sego. I also slabbed an MS66 from the bunch.

Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no slabbed Ebay coins that I bought raw, but I do have 10 or so raw coins that I bought slabbed on the bay.image
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    Bought it raw on Ebay about 4 years ago.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lots of 'em.
  • Options
    Those are sweet! The CC gold is great. The MS-63 $1 gold is what I was hoping for with the 3rd pic I posted. As far as the registry Ike- that is truly amazing, especially given the price paid! Gives me some hope for my half dime submission- thanks.image
    -Randy Newmanimage
  • Options
    Here are a few, I just started having true views. I buy on Ebay all the time. About a 65% slab and grade rate when I started . Most BB are questionable color or altered surfaces but the good out weigh these BB'd coins and I am learning and getting better. I now only buy if the seller has a return policy and very rarely have to use it. The ones I got stuck with mostly came from sellers with no returns accepted. My success rate is much better on my last few submissions. I buy for me and presents for my brother and nephews.

Missing My Life -PSA-Please Watch- 30 seconds could help someone you know

"If I say something in the woods, and my wife isn't around to hear it. Am I still wrong?"
  • Options
    66RB66RB Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭
    3 or 4 years ago, I won this off of eBay for around $400. I would not have the cahoonas to do it again!
    PCGS slabbed it VF-30 'strong reverse'.
    imageimage

Another one I won which was raw at the time, paid about $200 around the same time as the 22 above.
    PCGS slabbed it VF-25.
    imageimage

This was tucked into the middle of a roll that contained half of a complete memorial set. I sent it in to PCGS and they graded it MS66RD, cost for the whole set was about $15, and bought about the same time as the other two coins.
    imageimage

Again, I was in my 'raw eBay' phase, I don't think I could or would do it again. I won this one on eBay for close to $500 and sent it to PCGS where they graded it AU-53.
    imageimage

This was pretty cheap, about $45 or so, PCGS slabbed it AU-55
    imageimage

I can tell you this, I didn't believe anything the sellers stated in their auctions(although I would have been ok if I did), but I went by the photos they provided in their auction. I wasn't a bidder if the photos weren't clear and a somewhat decent size(enough to see the diagnostics).
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS MS64RD:
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    without checking records, I can recall two good ones. Both are capped bust half dimes, of course image

1832 LM-8.2, PCGS MS-61
    1835 LM-8.1, PCGS AU-55
  • Options
    66RB66RB Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭

<< <i>without checking records, I can recall two good ones. Both are capped bust half dimes, of course image

1832 LM-8.2, PCGS MS-61
    1835 LM-8.1, PCGS AU-55 >>

Huh? You collect capped bust half dimes???? image
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,468 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>without checking records, I can recall two good ones. Both are capped bust half dimes, of course image

1832 LM-8.2, PCGS MS-61
    1835 LM-8.1, PCGS AU-55 >>

Huh? You collect capped bust half dimes???? image >>

I do have a Dansco 7070, complete...if that helps image
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    Yep, many VAMs with ultimate plastic grades from FA2 through MS64. Also have gotten every NNC and SGS coin I have purchased into respectable plastic as well, just have had to be selective and pay for the right grade. Got a lot of cleaned coins as well and, for the most part, knew pretty well that was going to be what was coming. There are plenty of perfectly nice Morgan and Peace dollars out there uncirculated and unslabbed still.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    Yep, I used to own this beauty. I bought it on ebay for $9 and sent it in to be graded. It was one of my favorites. I still regret that I sold it...

Link

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yep, I used to own this beauty. I bought it on ebay for $9 and sent it in to be graded. It was one of my favorites. I still regret that I sold it...

Link >>

Nice....from $9 to ask of $750 image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    CT terc bought raw of flea-bay for ms60 $$ came back PCGS MS65

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    p8ntp8nt Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭
    I bought a 1957 roll of dimes for melt. I sent the end coin in and it slabbed MS67FB (pop 3/0 now). I sold that one for major profit image
  • Options
    21Walker21Walker Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭
    I have a couple, 1962 Frankie MS65FBL paid $4.12, 1921 S Walker F15 paid $102, 1916 Walker AU59 paid a little much $319, 1912S Liberty nickel F12 paid $110. Have a bunch more, but these come to mind............Rick
    If don't look like UNC, it probrably isn't UNC.....U.S. Coast Guard. Chief Petty Officer (Retired) (1970-1990)

EBAY Items
    http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZrlamir
  • Options

oops! you said slabbed......

here ya go.................I got the bird....its there now, should do ok!

imageimage

• Options
    Dang, SUMORADA- it's a SUPER GROUPER!!
    I grade that one at MS-67.
    The Superbird wasn't half bad either.image
    -Randy Newmanimage
  • Options
    That's a proof you better grade it PF not MS.
  • Options
    an 1876-CC DDR Trade Dollar that I paid $200 for about a year ago. I sent it out and it came back PCGS VF35. A great looking original coin.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file