Home Sports Talk

This Yankee Fan Wants Hughes, Kennedy, and Melky to Stay Put

"Cashman admitted there's a fear that players he might trade could win Cy Young Awards for another team. "

Source

That is exactly my fear. Who is to say that Santana won't be a $25 Million bust in the Bronx and not be able to handle the pressure? Hughes and Kennedy are both at least 7 years younger than Santana. In the ALDS against Cleveland Hughes pitched very well. I think he is going to be a big time pitcher. Heck, in only his 2nd game he was pitching a Perfect Game against the Texas Rangers when he went down with an injury in the 7th inning.

"The answer was in the Patriots eyes. Gone were the swagger and c0ck sure smirks, replaced by downcast eyes and heads in hands. For his poise and leadership Eli Manning was named the game's MVP. The 2007 Giants were never perfect nor meant to be. They were fighters, scrappers....now they could be called something else, World Champions."

Comments

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,488 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate the Yankees, but agree that keeping Hughes AND Kennedy is a good move. Either one in a trade is OK, but you can't mortgage your future for one player
  • I agree to a point, but the player IS Johan Santana.
    I like to look at Hughes as sort of a Ben McDonald--he'll be a solid pitcher on the Yanks, but really not much better than Mussina at his peak (top 5 in many years, but NEVER a franchise type guy that Santana already IS).
    Regardless of wheather you're a Sox fan or a Yanks fan, whoever gets Santana at WHATEVER cost will have a big edge going into the season.
    Jay
  • I wouldnt hesitate to trade for Santana, he's under 30, a 2 time Cy Young winner and easily one of the top 5 pitchers in all of baseball. I wouldnt give him more than 4 years though.
  • "I like to look at Hughes as sort of a Ben McDonald--he'll be a solid pitcher on the Yanks, but really not much better than Mussina at his peak (top 5 in many years, but NEVER a franchise type guy that Santana already IS)."

Toyguy, give me a break! Of course he is no Santana yet but the kid is only 21 years old. Kennedy is only 22 years old (soon to be 23) and Melky is only 23 years old. Way to much youth and potential to give up for Santana. I think it would haunt the Yankees some day. Let the Sox over pay for a change.

"The answer was in the Patriots eyes. Gone were the swagger and c0ck sure smirks, replaced by downcast eyes and heads in hands. For his poise and leadership Eli Manning was named the game's MVP. The 2007 Giants were never perfect nor meant to be. They were fighters, scrappers....now they could be called something else, World Champions."
    I'm sure that teams are considering what he will want...$25 million guaranteed for five or more years. Ask the Giants how they feel about big money for longer terms for pitchers. Or the Red Sox (Clement). Or the Yankees (Brown, Pavano, Wright). Or just about any team that has frittered away many millions
  • "Ask the Giants how they feel about big money for longer terms for pitchers. Or the Red Sox (Clement). Or the Yankees (Brown, Pavano, Wright). Or just about any team that has frittered away many millions"

zito was never a power pitcher and all those pitcher the yanks signed were serious injury risks, reclamation projects or way over the hill. doesnt really compare at all.

• << <i>"I like to look at Hughes as sort of a Ben McDonald--he'll be a solid pitcher on the Yanks, but really not much better than Mussina at his peak (top 5 in many years, but NEVER a franchise type guy that Santana already IS)."

Toyguy, give me a break! Of course he is no Santana yet but the kid is only 21 years old. Kennedy is only 22 years old (soon to be 23) and Melky is only 23 years old. Way to much youth and potential to give up for Santana. I think it would haunt the Yankees some day. Let the Sox over pay for a change. >>

I agree with SC. Hughes has the stuff of a number 1, not a Mussina He got hurt during his no hit bid against the Rangers, and that set him back. He wasn't 100% after that, but came on late in the season again.

BTW I keep changing my mind on this whole trade thing.
  • Whoever gets Santana WILL win the World Series next year...Thats a fact, put that in your pipe and smoke it NY. If you want him come and get him, we aint giving him away...
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• << <i>Whoever gets Santana WILL win the World Series next year...Thats a fact, put that in your pipe and smoke it NY. If you want him come and get him, we aint giving him away... >>

You should be the Twinkies GM with that hard sell image

<< <i>

<< <i>Whoever gets Santana WILL win the World Series next year...Thats a fact, put that in your pipe and smoke it NY. If you want him come and get him, we aint giving him away... >>

You should be the Twinkies GM with that hard sell image >>

sort of sounds like a Bora$$ quote!
  • Seriously guys, we know there are alot of Yankee fans on this board and I'm certainly not trashing them but Hughes IS NOT projected to be a #1 like a Clemens or a Tom Seaver. He is projected to be a #1 like a Ben McDonald or a Mike Mussina--do you at all remember when these guys came up? Both of those guys were very, very good, but neither of them were Randy Johnson. I'm drawing a blank of who else he's been compared to, but he (Hughes), has certainly never been compared to any dominant staffer by ANYONE! YES, he's going to be good, but you have to give something up to get something. And Kennedy isn't in his league. As for Melky Carbrera? You're kidding right? If this guy has a career HALF as good as someone like Mike Cameron you guys are lucky. Is he a better fit in center than Damon right now--of course. Is he ever going to be a top 5 center fielder--NO.
    Sometimes you've got to roll the dice. I certainly don't want the Yankees to get Santana, but I fear it will inevitably be them, as Epstein isn't the kind of guy to give up the farm for one guy.
    Jay

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Whoever gets Santana WILL win the World Series next year...Thats a fact, put that in your pipe and smoke it NY. If you want him come and get him, we aint giving him away... >>

You should be the Twinkies GM with that hard sell image >>

sort of sounds like a Bora$$ quote! >>

Yeah but at least DaBeef didn't demand money just to talk to the Twinkles.
  • DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    The Yankees are fine the way they are. The young talent should stay put. Their pitching staff is getting younger and they have six pitchers so far--an extra one for insurance. Getting a Santana right now for two young prospect pitchers doesn't make sense. Either one of those young pitchers could emerge as a solid pitcher as early as the 2008. They are not desperate to get Santana at this point. The Yankees have gambled on free agent pitchers before and it was not all that rosey either. The young guys will win games at a fraction of the cost.

I think the only weak spot is not having a legit first baseman. They don't necessarily need a Gehrig or Mattingly at this point, but there has to be some young talent out there in their farm system to introduce to first base in a platoon situation.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭
    I would like to see Andy Phillips be given the everyday 1B job. I think he could be a consistant .280+ hitter with 20+ HRs and drive in 70+. Give him the chance to get into a groove and comfortable. I think he would do well.
  • gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would like to see Andy Phillips be given the everyday 1B job. I think he could be a consistant .280+ hitter with 20+ HRs and drive in 70+. Give him the chance to get into a groove and comfortable. I think he would do well. >>

In the American League, you need a whole lot more from your 1B than what you have projected for Phillips...
    Nah, I dont think so....ARod, Jeter, Abreu, Posada, Matsui, Cano..pretty lethal and Phillips could fall right in line with that. And if Giambi is off the steroids and healthy then he could be a very productive DH. Plus, Damon is a wildcard...if he is healthy then the Yanks lineup will be tough.

Lets not forget the Yanks had the best record in the league from May on with no consistancy from 1B.

I think if Phillips could give the Yanks those numbers, it would be a huge contribution towards the bottom of the lineup.
    Also, it will be the Yankees pitching that will be the determining factor, not offense.

<< <i>

<< <i>I would like to see Andy Phillips be given the everyday 1B job. I think he could be a consistant .280+ hitter with 20+ HRs and drive in 70+. Give him the chance to get into a groove and comfortable. I think he would do well. >>

In the American League, you need a whole lot more from your 1B than what you have projected for Phillips... >>

hmmm, .288, 16, and 83 got another AL team a WS victory.
  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey toyguy .... Ben WHO ???? And did you put this unknown dude who goes by the name of Ben in the same class as a 250 game winner? image

and the CU sports talk forum continues its sad decline image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,281 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dan I believe your 1 month sentence with the Sox icon is up Bro! image
  • Mussina was a year younger than McDonald. By the time he was 23 he was already light years ahead and they were never again close in terms of value. Mussina had many years when he was near the top in ERA and innings pitched, that is the definition of a legitimate ace

If you truly believe Hughes would be even a smidgen better than Mussina, you would never package him in a trade, especially when you're also giving up other players, too. If you believe him to likely end up like McDonald, you package whatever else you need to as the value doesn't even come close to Santana

Of course the chance Hughes ends up as good as Mussina is about as likely as Santana ending up pitching as well as Bret Saberhagen did in his 30s. . .
    Tom
  • gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

In the American League, you need a whole lot more from your 1B than what you have projected for Phillips... >>

hmmm, .288, 16, and 83 got another AL team a WS victory. >>

You also had Beckett, Schilling, Dice K, Wakefield, Buchholz, Lester and a great bullpen to boot...that is until Gagne got his hands on it!
  • Always an arguement from a Yankees fan when someone brings up something they don't like to hear.
    Softparade, I simply said he is being compared at HIS AGE to where Ben McDonald was at HIS AGE, NOT over his career.
    Jay
  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Always an arguement from a Yankees fan when someone brings up something they don't like to hear.
    Softparade, I simply said he is being compared at HIS AGE to where Ben McDonald was at HIS AGE, NOT over his career.
    Jay >>

It has nothing to do with me being a Yankee fan ..... anyway, can you get any worse "comparisons" around here? Anybody want to compare Nolan Ryan at 23 with Bill Pulsipher at 23 ??

Paul, I will lose the ugly red pic come the New Year image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

hmmm, .288, 16, and 83 got another AL team a WS victory. >>

You also had Beckett, Schilling, Dice K, Wakefield, Buchholz, Lester and a great bullpen to boot...that is until Gagne got his hands on it! >>

so really, you DON'T need a whole lot more from your 1B than what is projected for Phillips...that's what you are saying?
  • Ben McDonald actually isn't a bad comparison to Hughes.

I can't believe the ho hum talk about Johan Santana. He IS the best pitcher in MLB and has been so for the past few years. Of all the competitors for the best pitcher title, he is the most likely to continue to pitch at a level as good as he has been in the recent past.

For instance, there are six guys in the AL who finished with a better ERA than Johan last season. I wouldn't put any type of money or confidence on any one of them besting him again next year, or repeating their ERA of this season. Sabathia has the best chance of repeating his ERA, but I am not confident he will best Johan.

People seem to forget Johan finished first in ERA the previous three seasons(in ERA+).

Melky Cabrera.

He has a .340 OB% and .388 SLG% in over 1,000 MLB at bats? In 1,400 minor league at bats he had a .347 OB% and .422 SLG%. He was appx +14 runs over average in defensive runs. Mike Cameron is something Cabrera can hope to be.

Hughes might be good. Not Johan good, but good. Why hope he can be good when you have a virtual lock to be outstanding...espcially since he will never be Johan good in his dreams.

It isn't a bad trade for the TWins since they will lose Johan anyway. It will be a help to the Yanks.

• stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Rule of thumb:

Always trade pitching prospects for established young arms. Some will get burned but the odds are against it.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Hoopster great post (and not just for agreeing with me).
    We've already figured out the Hughes probably won't be a Santana--so why the hell wouldn't you want to trade him? The big reason I used McDonald was I was having a mental block and trying to come up with a big, strong, right-handed picther who had lots of hoopla over the near distant past.
    The old adage is whoever comes out of the trade with the best player wins--wouldn't this be the case?
    I realize the verdict is still out with Hughes, and we hear alot about him because let's face it, the media likes to talk about the Yankees and I get it, it sells papers, that's fine. But there are better prospects out there on other teams and you don't hear nearly as much about them.

Get while the gettin's good--You aren't going to upgrade Johan Santana.
    Jay
    And all this time I thought that a crystal ball was only real in Harry Potter. Can anyone tell me where to get one of these?
  • Yankeeno, that is the thing. Nobody has a Crystal ball on how good Johan will be in the next four years, and how good Hughes will be. It is all about playing the percentages.

Johan is as close as there is to be a 'lock' outstanding pitcher next year. There is not another pitcher alive that one can possibly view as having a better chance to repeat his most recent successes. That is exactly what you want for your team.

Hughes on the other hand is where the Crystal Ball comes into play. His MLB future ability is a bit of an unknown. The chances of him having a Johan(Cy Young caliber, best in the business) year in any of the next four years is small. It is more realistic to see him take a Ben McDonald path. While McDonald is known as a bust for his extreme hype, he was actually an above average pitcher for his career.

McDonald had as much hype as possible, and was a big hard throwing righty. His lifetime ERA was 3.90 and the league average was 4.50(adjusted for park). He had 1,291 IP when he hurt his arm at age 29 after five consecutive seasons well above average(two of which were very nice I might add). I don't think it is an insult being compared to McDonald.

Now if the Yanks were trading this package for Carmona from Cleveland, then I would understand avoiding that.

• Has anyone here besides the Yankee fans seen Hughes pitch at least a few games? His stuff is awesome. That's why we're all so hesitant about this.
  • I dont care how awesome Hughes is, he is still a kid and I would take Santana in his prime, for the next 5 years over a rookie who has had a few good major league starts. Melky is a solid player, but the comparison to Mike Cameron seems legit, maybe a high batting average, with less power. So you trade a kid who might be the next ben mcdonald and a mike cameron clone for the best pitcher in baseball. easy decision.
  • Gemmintman,

We have seen Hughes. The question should be, have you seen Johan pitch? You are all so hesitant about getting the best pitcher in MLB? Since salaray is not a concern(as it would be for some teams), then this is an absolute no brainer.

You aren't trading him for Bartolo Colon or something, this is the best of the best...the top gun. I say Colon because he should be embarrased for accepting the Cy Young he stole from Johan.
  • sagardsagard Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭
    This Twins Fan Wants Hughes, Kennedy, and Melky to Stay Put.

I'd rather see 33-34 more starts with Johan and leave with nothing vs. settling for a weak grouping from either the Yanks or Sox.

• << <i>Gemmintman,

We have seen Hughes. The question should be, have you seen Johan pitch? You are all so hesitant about getting the best pitcher in MLB? Since salaray is not a concern(as it would be for some teams), then this is an absolute no brainer.

You aren't trading him for Bartolo Colon or something, this is the best of the best...the top gun. I say Colon because he should be embarrased for accepting the Cy Young he stole from Johan. >>

I've seen him, and he's awesome. There's no dispute on that topic. I've gone back and forth on this and changed my mind so many times. When I do that I know I'm not comfortable with the trade.
  • TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725

<< <i>This Twins Fan Wants Hughes, Kennedy, and Melky to Stay Put.

I'd rather see 33-34 more starts with Johan and leave with nothing vs. settling for a weak grouping from either the Yanks or Sox. >>

I can understand your sentiment, but once June rolls around you had better hope the Tigers haven't buried the rest of the AL Central or the most you can expect is to see 16-17 starts from Santana and will, more than likely, get even less for him than what the Yanks and Sox have been offering to date.