Home Sports Talk
Options

Andruw Jones signs 2 yr $36MM contract with Dodgers

stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

linkypoo

<< <i>A five-time All-Star, Jones will receive a $12.2 million signing bonus, of which $5.1 million is payable next year, $2.1 million in 2009 and $5 million in 2010. He well get salaries of $9 million next year and $15 million in 2009, and also will receive a no-trade clause.

....Jones hit .222 this season, his lowest average since he batted .217 in 106 at-bats as a rookie in 1996. His 26 home runs were his fewest since 1997. He drove in 94 runs for the Braves, but finished with a paltry .311 on-base percentage. >>

edited bekuz i dunt no how 2 spel dogerz
So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts

Comments

• Options
    definitely overpaid for this guy.
  • Options
    Atlanta will miss his glove, but not the BA and OBP.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    good deal, given it was only two years.
  • Options
    good deal for him, bad for the dogers. he's gonna play half his games in a pitchers park lol. If he's lucky he will duplicate his stats.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    I saw that this morning and thought how insane. image
  • Options

<< <i> good deal for him, bad for the dogers. he's gonna play half his games in a pitchers park lol. If he's lucky he will duplicate his stats. >>

you're entitled to your opinion.

let's assume last year was an anomaly, which it appears to be given his track record. let's also assume he has no serious injuries. you would expect him to hit around .260, 30 hrs, 100 RBIs, 90 runs and a .340 OBP. You'll also expect + defense at center field.

I would rather have that for two years than have tori hunter (who was coming off a career year) for five years at a slightly higher per year price for 10 more BA points and 10 more stolen bases (and likely 5-10 less more HRS and 10-20 less RBIs).

and it's a small sample size, but jones has hit .306 with a .386 OBP at Dodger Stadium.

Is Jones' worth that much per year? No...not even close. It's laughable that a career .260 hitter would get that type of money. But, relative to the market...and especially relative to his worth last year (5-6 yrs at 100 million), i think the dodgers did well. I personally think it's a sane deal...at least compared to some of the contracts we've seen recently. I fell off my chair when i heard the hunter deal...the linebrink deal....and the cordero deals. Those are a heckuva lot worse than the jones' deal, in my opinion. and let's not even talk about what i did after barry zito got his contract last season.

but, of course, the dodgers are stuck paying center field money to juan pierre....who is vastly overpaid given his relative production to the team.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another dud for the Dodgers.
  • Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised that Torii Hunter got a much better deal than Andruw. Anyone else surprised!?
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm surprised that Torii Hunter got a much better deal than Andruw. Anyone else surprised!? >>

Considering both players stats last year Im not
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,468 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm surprised that Torii Hunter got a much better deal than Andruw. Anyone else surprised!? >>

the power of a career-best year vs. career-worst year. Jones does make more money per year than Hunter, FWIW.
  • Options
    .260 career hitter, .340 OBP. yeah, he's worth it.
  • Options

<< <i> .260 career hitter, .340 OBP. yeah, he's worth it. >>

he is. God told me so last night. End of story.
  • Options
    He had better bounce back in a big way for that kind of money.
  • Options
    and could he try to steal more than 5 bases a year? he just stopped trying when he started clubbing homers.
  • Options
    He could bounce back, as two of his previous three seasons can give an indication. He could also take the Ron Gant path too.

How is that for "Who Knows?"
  • Options
    Being a Braves fan, I'll miss Andruw, but not the stats he put up last year. With a little more offense, the Braves could have made a run at the Mets like the Phillies did late last season. Andruw was a sure fire miss last season. When he did hit 'em, they went for miles, but you knew by his first swing that his intention was to hit everything thrown to him out of the park.

2001-2014 Topps Heritage complete!
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Money well burned i say.... I guess they think they are the Los Angeles Dodgers of Anaheim now.... Didn't you learn anything when we overpaid for Colon??????????
  • Options
    Suprised to see he was only 30 last year

Jones has lost more defensive value than anyone in baseball. Caused mostly by how high his value once was, but still has to be some concern if he isn't going to hit 40 homruns

The K/BB rate was still the same, and that is often the best indicator on whether or not a player can bounce back. He was within 10 homeruns of some of his best seasons and the average should easily move back to .250-.260. It is hard to fathom how it is possible for that to be worth $18 million, but in today's market it is a fair contract
    Tom
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    his contract makes JD Blew's contract almost sensible (as ludicrous as that is to say...)
  • Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the Dodgers' sake, I sincerely hope last year was an anomaly for AJ. If not, welcome to yet another weak-hitting Dodger edition.