Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Copper dime ???????????????

Hello all, went to a store yesterday and recieved what I thought was a penny in my change and when I got home I realized that it was actually a "copper" 1989 P dime. Being made primarily of copper with only nickle on the surface, it's easy to see how this is possible. This particular coin has FULL copper surfaces with no traces of nickel anywhere to be found!

As is, there is an '06 copper dime on the BST and was just wondering if this is something that occurs naturally with the roosevelts or what? Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

BTW.............As the coin was given to me in change as a penny, I wonder how many other transactions were mis-counted as a result of this apparent "mistaken identity".
Young Numismatist ............................ and growing!

Comments

• Options
    Sounds like it is missing the clad layer, which happens sometimes. Any pics?
  • Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭
    Copper Dimes? Purple Haze. image
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,377 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These should weigh substantially less than a dime to be authentic. Most are copper plated or copper colored.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

<< <i>Sounds like it is missing the clad layer, which happens sometimes. Any pics?.................. >>

Mercury10c,
    I'll post pics shortly.

<< <i>These should weigh substantially less than a dime to be authentic. Most are copper plated or copper colored................... >>

Cladking,
    Good point!.......In addition to the pics, I'll post the weight of the "copper" roosevelt in relation to the normal clad roosie.
    Young Numismatist ............................ and growing!
  • Options
    lkrarecoinslkrarecoins Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭
    Here is a legitimate missing Clad Qtr that I have.....ignore the other 2 coins image

In Loving Memory of my Dad......My best friend, My inspiration, and My Coin Collecting Partner

"La Vostra Nonna Ha Faccia Del Fungo"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file