Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Your Favorite Camera

Everyone post coin pics with their camera & identify which camera it is. That way I'll know which one to purchase tonite.

Appreciate it !!!

Comments

• Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    These turned out pretty good. Canon 30D with a Sigma 150mm Macro Lens.

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Russ,

Your pocket camera shots will never cease to amaze me.

I need a nice manual focus. image
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nikon FM, 135/3.5 Nikkor with +2 close-up lens, Kodacolor ISO100 film:

Canon A80 (4MP) with +2 close-up lens

Nikon D80, 105/4 maunal focus Micro-Nikkor

Hope this helps. image
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Nikon D40

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    RICOH RDC-4 Camera cost me $50

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, but I use a cheapo Fuji Finepix 2650 (on ebay used for around $50) There are no bells and whistles just
    a good macro feature. Of course, it's not the camera but the lighting and user that makes the difference.
    bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    I'm impressed - extremely nice pics & thanks.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Nikon 85 mm PC micro (you can attach it to any SLR body you want, D200 in my case)

coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options

<< <i>I'm impressed - extremely nice pics & thanks. >>

So which camera will you choose. image

Costco has a decent deal on a Canon Rebel XTi with general purpose lenses. Then just get a used macro lens from e-bay for coins and then you can use it for everything.
  • Options

<< <i>Nikon 85 mm PC micro (you can attach it to any SLR body you want, D200 in my case)
    >>

Including a Canon Body?
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    May be harder with a Canon.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Nikon 85 mm PC micro (you can attach it to any SLR body you want, D200 in my case)
    >>

Including a Canon Body? >>

No, just good SLRs.

I'm sure he meant that whether he picks the Nikon FM with film or a D200, he can use it. The thing I was trying to make clear to the OP was that the equipment doesn't matter as much as knowing what to do with it.
  • Options
    another from my D40

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>

Including a Canon Body? >>

No, just good SLRs.

I'm sure he meant that whether he picks the Nikon FM with film or a D200, he can use it. The thing I was trying to make clear to the OP was that the equipment doesn't matter as much as knowing what to do with it. >>

So true, lighting is 75% of all pictures. 15% is the lens, 5% for a sturdy copy stand and 5% is the Camera. image
  • Options
    Canon Rebel XT with a 65mm macro lense. I agree with the others, lighting, lense, and copystand are the most important parts to get a nice pic. These are the last pics i have taken...

Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    Canon Powershot S5-IS

• Options
    FCLOUD: Is your D40 a 10.2mp?
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Canon Rebel XTi w/ 60mm Macro
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>FCLOUD: Is your D40 a 10.2mp? >>

You should need more than 6-7 megapixels unless you are really blowing up the pictures.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    Thank You

These pics are ALL simply fabulous, and any one of your cameras would be better than mine. Now that I'm at a total loss as to the best value, I'll ponder it a while (oh - 2 1/2 hours or so until CyberMonday is over) and respond once I've made a decision.

Again, many thanks to each of you for donating your time for me.

• Options
    Wow! It's really amazing that about five years ago noone was taking such great pics of coins. They all lacked badly. Now, there are tons of great coin photographers.

I use either my canon digital rebel xti or my canon 30d (it doesn't really matter for coin photos) and my canon 100mm f2.8 macro lens. I shoot from a sturdy tripod but others shoot from copy stands.

• Options
    Doesn't this apply to the old adage that "It's not the car that wins the races...."
  • Options
    Sony Alpha with Kiron 105mm manual lens

Bruce
  • Options
    Younique,

PM sent.

I am an old film camera guy and photography has been a hobby since about 1968. Don't fall into more MP is better. I used my 6.1MP Nikon D40 for the images I have posted. But you could probably go as low as 4MP for this type of imaging. Lighting would be more important than camera brand (althought I don't think anything is better than Nikon). I am partial from those days of film, and I continue to use film for my 20" x 30" senic photos that surround my loft and living room.

Keep in mind the three most important issues are Lighting, Lighting, Lighting.

This is senic is from my D40.

This one was taken with my Sony point and shoot 4MP.

• Options
    23Pairer23Pairer Posts: 911 ✭✭✭
    All my shots are from a Nikon D100 Digital SLR using a 105mm Micro nikkor lens, and a ringflash as shown, usually against an 18% gray photo board or using a copystand.

• Options
    Canon Powershot A630 with built in Macro (under $200) 8 MP.

Edgar

Setup Below

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rebel XT with a Sigma 150 lens.
    Larry

• Options
    Canon 30D.. Love it!

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FCLOUD: Is your D40 a 10.2mp

D40 is a 6.1 body, the D40X is 10.2
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FEVER, Love the clashed dies on that bust! Who is your stand made by, looks like a pretty intense set-up for a $200 camera. image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    Broadstruck,

The copy stand was a three foot tall monster that was flooded in a friends basement. The 24" X 24" base was all warped so he was going to throw it out. He gave it to me and I cut the adjustable upright down to 13 inches tall, used a piece of 9 X 12 inch boat plastic flooring for the new base (the same stuff a cutting board is made out of - it doesn't warp or flex), put it all together and its so small it can sit next to my keyboard! The brand name on the upright is FIRENZE.

Thanks for the nice comments on the bust half clashes!

Edgar
  • Options
    lkrarecoinslkrarecoins Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭
    I've got me a Canon Powershot SD600.....Fits in my pocket, has a great Macro feature, and takes awesome pix....And, I don't even know what the heck i'm doing image

In Loving Memory of my Dad......My best friend, My inspiration, and My Coin Collecting Partner

"La Vostra Nonna Ha Faccia Del Fungo"
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    An antique Nikon Coolpix 995. Not the latest technology and a little short on pixels, but a great lens for macro.

• Options
    Fabulous photography - thanks for sharing - It appears none of you are in need of anything as evidenced by the great pics, but my turn to share:

I picked up a Nikon D40 last night. Not a bad deal at Overstock - $549.95 with 20% discount if paid by PayPal and no shipping charges for a total of $439.96.

Thanks again
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pickup, now it is time to find a nice Macro lens and some nice lights to work with.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    everyone of you suck....image

ps, keep postin pics image
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options

Canon PowerShot S2IS

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>Fabulous photography - thanks for sharing - It appears none of you are in need of anything as evidenced by the great pics, but my turn to share:

I picked up a Nikon D40 last night. Not a bad deal at Overstock - $549.95 with 20% discount if paid by PayPal and no shipping charges for a total of $439.96.

Thanks again >>

Good choice, now you just need a sturdy stand, some cheap lights and a macro lens. One of the first things you will have to do is read the manual and figure out how to use the mirror lock. It really helps remove vibrations and makes for a much clearer picture.
  • Options
    You don't need to spend a lot for close ups (in other words, you don't need a macro lens). Get a set of close up rings which fit on the front of your lens.

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ5- on sale at Office Depot when I got it for $129.95...

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fuji Fine Pix S700. For $184, I feel the camera does an adequate job. Always improving, well trying to.image

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    My favorite camera? 1939 Luftwaffe Leica.

Uh—no…the Luftwaffe didn’t take coin photos with them.
  • Options
    meos1meos1 Posts: 1,135
    I used a Kodak Retina 2A in the day. It had a leather bellows that connected the lens stage to the body and used 35mm film. I would run an ISO 200 an take pics at concert with out flash by checking a light meter for the lighting that would provide enough coverage to run the shutter speed high and still have some focal length in the aperture. Using that setup I have many 36 roll exposures with probably 15 solid shots and 5 more that are "artistic". I have shots from Def Leppard, Journey, KISS, Foghat, Pat Travers, and on and on and on.

I moved on to a Canon AE-1 which I still have. Recently we bought a Sony F828. Its a really nice camera but suffers in low light situations. Its got the double whammy at concerts due to the mounting of the CCD (4 color).

I will try and pop a few and post them if I get a chance.

Dan
    I am just throwing cheese to the rats chewing on the chains of my sanity!

First Place Winner of the 2005 Rampage design contest!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file