Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Pretty good half dollar hunt today....

I went around to about 10 different banks looking for silver halves. overall it was a pretty good hunt.
I bought about $1200 in halves, and found 46 40% halves and 5 90%'ers.

Heres the break down...

1- 1960D Franklin....Nice!
3- 1964D Kennedy
2- 1965
3- 1966
16- 1967
12- 1968D
8- 1969D
1- 1976S

Not bad...about $125 in silver, or about a $100 profit....image

Comments

• Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    Oh! just found something else in my bank purchases today. I just found an AU (but cleaned, I think) 1971D FEP IKE!! This is my first one =) Pictures later tonight.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe I need to start calling around town. My bank never has halves.

Good work!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    Thanks! yeah, I just found an area with a lot of banks in the same general location and started calling all of those banks....There are still LOTS of banks that I have yet to go to, so there's a LOT more silver to be found in my area =p
  • Options
    hiijackerhiijacker Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭
    DO you ask for customer rolls that the teller may have or for sealed rols from the Federal Reserve? Which yields more silver?
    Buyer of all vintage Silver Bars. PM me
    Cashback from Mr. Rebates
  • Options

<< <i>DO you ask for customer rolls that the teller may have or for sealed rols from the Federal Reserve? Which yields more silver? >>

Myself I always go for customer rolls. The few times that I've done otherwise, 90% of the coins were the same date.

Nice loot coinkid!!! image
    I have all kinds of coins, tokens and a few medals. I'm not a big time Stack's Auction collector. I don't collect for investment or value. When I see a coin I think is neat, I grab it. I collect a few coins by year and mint, like Lincoln and Canadian Cents, Westward Journey Nickels, State Quarters, Presidential Dollars and 2 or 3 others. I have some Proof Sets and Uncirculated Sets. I've been collecting for 34 years, so I have a little bit of everything.

PS.
    I LIKE IKEs!
  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just went to all two banks in my town today for half dollars. Bank #1 only had a couple rolls in the clerks drawer. Nothing worth picking up but I did get a 74 and 78 Ike! Bank #2 had $360 of halves. The teller seemed happy that I was wanting them until I told her I was going to just borrow them and give them back. Of the $360 of halves $270 was 1996-P. This is very odd since I am very far northwest, normally Denver is what we get. Of the remaining halves I only found two 40% silver and nothing newer than 1999.
  • Options
    I just recently went through $500 in halves, and found zero 40 or 90% coins. The only odd one I found was a 2004-p half, wondering how it got in circulation. The teller told me they had $260 in halves left, and she was more than happy to let me get all of them. I think she said they were aggravating to handle/count, and they didn't want them back. And, I'm pretty sure I was 2 halves short of having a full 500 dollars. I doubt I mess with the rest of them, with my rotten luck.
  • Options

<< <i>I doubt I mess with the rest of them, with my rotten luck. >>

Don't do that. You might miss something. And if you don't look, you'll carry it around in the back of your mind that you didn't check them...
    I have all kinds of coins, tokens and a few medals. I'm not a big time Stack's Auction collector. I don't collect for investment or value. When I see a coin I think is neat, I grab it. I collect a few coins by year and mint, like Lincoln and Canadian Cents, Westward Journey Nickels, State Quarters, Presidential Dollars and 2 or 3 others. I have some Proof Sets and Uncirculated Sets. I've been collecting for 34 years, so I have a little bit of everything.

PS.
    I LIKE IKEs!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file