Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why did this go so high? 1938 Proof Lincoln

I sold this 1938 Proof Lincoln PCGS PR65RD on eBay, and it ended last week. Greysheet is $175 or so, and they usually go around that. Imagine my shock when it ends at $280! I received positive feedback today, I was expecting the guy to return it after he looked around, but he didn't. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Link to coin.

-Paul
Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com

Comments

• Options
    ShortgapbobShortgapbob Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭
    It looks like a great coin! I think 30s Proof Lincoln in full RD are pretty difficult to buy at sheet.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristotle

For a large selection of U.S. Coins & Currency, visit The Reeded Edge's online webstore at the link below.

The Reeded Edge
  • Options
    WHat's the jump to 66? Maybe people saw the OGH and hoped for an upgradable coin.
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,082 ✭✭✭
    Let me add my opinion. I have been tracking 1936-42 Proof Coins (especially Lincolns) for the past few years, and lately I have noticed overall, they have been weak. Walkers especially have taken a beating. The coin is in a OGH, but it was undoubtedly accurately graded. A 66 would run about $450 or so dollars. I have noticed however that nice Lincolns have remained steady at their prices in PCGS plastic. NGC Lincolns have taken the path of the rest of the 1936-42 run. It is hard to find gem full red coins, especially the closer to 36 you get. I have another 38, and based on the realized price of this auction, I will sell that one as well and upgrade to a 66.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    i watched a 36' pr63 rb ngc go for $227. while a 36' raw with noted scratch on forehead which had body bag all over it sell for $377.
    auctions can be strange
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fact you Lincoln was graded 10+ years ago and has retained its full RED surfaces gives the new owner confidence it isn't likely to turn. That alone is worth a premium to some.

peacockcoins

• Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The fact you Lincoln was graded 10+ years ago and has retained its full RED surfaces gives the new owner confidence it isn't likely to turn. That alone is worth a premium to some. >>

I hadn't thought of that but it makes good sense!
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Todays market is totally unpredictable.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file