Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

FUTURE HOFERS BY THE YEAR

Ok, who did i miss? Please no steroid comments...if you dont think the steroid dudes are in ok, but im leaving on the list...don't want to guess past 2002

Edited to include "potential" hofers as voted in the thread...even if slim potential

1973 Goose (added by thread
1976 Dawson (added by thread)
1980 Rickey
1981 Raines
1982 Ripken (already in)
1983 Gwynn,boggs,sandberg (already in)
1984 Clemens
1985 McGwire
1986 Bonds
1987 Maddux, (Palmeiro -added by thread), (Larkin -added by thread)
1988 Biggio (Alomar -added by thread)
1988 Glavine
1989 Randy Johnson
1989 Curt Schilling
1989 Griffey
1989 Smoltz
1990 Sosa
1990 Bernie Williams (thread removed, but I am keeping in just for me ONLY -grin one of my faves)
1990 Frank Thomas
1991 Chipper Jones, Bagwell, (thread added pedro)
1992 Jim Thome, Manny, piazza, mariano,trevor
1993 helton, jeter
1994 arod
1995 vlad, andruw
1996 no one?
1997 ortiz
1998 magglio
1999 alfonso, matt holliday
2000 cabrera, beckett, santana
2001 ichiro, pujols
2002 wright (thread removed mauer)

Comments

• Options
    mdkuommdkuom Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
    1985- Puckett's already in. And as a Twins fan Mauer will never make it. He breaks down too easily as a catcher but doesn't have enough power to get in at any other position.
  • Options
    Cokin75Cokin75 Posts: 243 ✭✭
    No way Bernie Williams gets in. In my opinion, Barry Larkin has a better chance (but he probably won't get in either). Another thing... if Andre Dawson wasn't good enough to get in, I don't think Bagwell should be in either. A lot of the guys you've listed after '91 are crapshoots at this point. I would say Jeter, Arod and Piazza are the only ones of those that are in for sure.
  • Options

<< <i>No way Bernie Williams gets in. In my opinion, Barry Larkin has a better chance (but he probably won't get in either). Another thing... if Andre Dawson wasn't good enough to get in, I don't think Bagwell should be in either. A lot of the guys you've listed after '91 are crapshoots at this point. I would say Jeter, Arod and Piazza are the only ones of those that are in for sure. >>

yes, all speculation...
    Agree about bernie, helton, and several of the others...ones that are very marginal like the ones i listed are hopefuls for me, because they are a few of my faves...

Agreed also, Dawson should get in but prob wont....

As for definites, VLad,pujols, manny, and ichiro are also definetely in.

As for Mauer, don't know enough, but local twins fan above probably has a better clue than me...i will axe him off ...

Anyone else have any hopefuls that i didnt get on?
  • Options
    CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    Very comprehensive list

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    You forgot Player X (1986) who has 500+ HRs and 3000+ hits. Ah yes, the infamous Rafael Palmeiro. I think the REAL question is whether Raffy gets 5% of the vote the first time around to stay on the ballot. I would not be surprised if he did not (receive the 5%).

Think about that. 1663 Runs, 3020 Hits, 585 2B, 569 HR, 1835 RBIs and one miserable performance before Congress and he won't even come close to getting in ... ever. Well, at least that's my thinking. But we won't know until 2010 (or is it 2001?). Anyways, and even then, I don't think people will forget the infamous finger.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Curt Schilling has improved his chances for the HOF as he continues to pitch at a high level despite his age.

Bernie Williams will have a tough time getting in. His prime was not as outstanding as Mattingly's was during his hey day. Mattingly has trouble getting the necessary votes to stay on the ballot, so Williams won't fare better.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    msassinmsassin Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
    Since Ripken,Puckett and others are mentioned: Boggs (83) is already in

Also Thome had his first card in 1991 Bowman

This would be my list of potential HOFers not on the original list (many could be considered longshots but they have had better careers than Bernie IMO):
    87 Larkin
    87 Palmeiro
    88 R.Alomar
    89 Sheffield
    91 Mussina
    91 Pedro Martinez
    91 Ivan Rodriguez

I stopped looking for names around the '95 era of cards (too early to guess)
  • Options
    if you are using this for rookie cards, smoltz has a 1988 fleer update.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options

<< <i>You forgot Player X (1986) who has 500+ HRs and 3000+ hits. Ah yes, the infamous Rafael Palmeiro. I think the REAL question is whether Raffy gets 5% of the vote the first time around to stay on the ballot. I would not be surprised if he did not (receive the 5%).

Think about that. 1663 Runs, 3020 Hits, 585 2B, 569 HR, 1835 RBIs and one miserable performance before Congress and he won't even come close to getting in ... ever. Well, at least that's my thinking. But we won't know until 2010 (or is it 2001?). Anyways, and even then, I don't think people will forget the infamous finger.

/s/ JackWESQ >>

Unfortunately, I agree. image

My only hope is that a bunch of people get 'fingered' as those that 'accidentally' took performance enhancing supplements and then it becomes an even playing field.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭✭
    To continue to add to the list, Tim Raines is up this year and is questionable. Historically, between one and three are voted in every year. So, there should be between one to three for every year on your list for the 80's. That seems like a lot, but that is the typical.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    I'm going to step back to 1972 and say the Goose! He's going in this year! I'll bet on it!
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    '83 Boggs (already in)

EDIT: Ah, I see Boggs has already been mentioned. NM.
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    Beat me to it

81, Tim Raines

I really think he going in.
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Since Ripken,Puckett and others are mentioned: Boggs (83) is already in

Also Thome had his first card in 1991 Bowman

This would be my list of potential HOFers not on the original list (many could be considered longshots but they have had better careers than Bernie IMO):
    87 Larkin
    87 Palmeiro
    88 R.Alomar
    89 Sheffield
    91 Mussina
    91 Pedro Martinez
    91 Ivan Rodriguez

I stopped looking for names around the '95 era of cards (too early to guess) >>

Pedro is a lock, even if retired immediately after leaving the Red Sox.
  • Options

<< <i>To continue to add to the list, Tim Raines is up this year and is questionable. Historically, between one and three are voted in every year. So, there should be between one to three for every year on your list for the 80's. That seems like a lot, but that is the typical. >>

Don't forget that the veterens committee usually ends up sending one of the players each year to the hall. Typically these players are well beyond voting eligibility, and have not been playing for maybe 30 years, so his list isn't half bad.

J
  • Options
    parkerjparkerj Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭
    Great thread!

I think Pedro is a definite....and i'm not a fan, but i think he was solid enough.

I think helton has a good chance....I agree with the concensus - bernie is out. i also think andruw is out as well.

Alomar and Larkin have no shot, imho.

puckett and boggs are missing on the list (they are in).

i agree with i-rod being in.

mussina, sheffield could make it if they keep accumulating, but as of now they are out.
  • Options
    McGwire and Biggio will never see the hall.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,058 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>McGwire and Biggio will never see the hall. >>

I respectfully disagree. Biggio will almost certainly get in because he got to 3,000 hits. I think McGwire will get in either this year or the next.

What about Carlos Delgado and Carlos Beltran? I think they have a shot as well.

Jim Edmonds needs a long look as well. The offensive numbers are nice, but not enough to get him in. However, when you couple his offense along with being in the top 3 defensive centerfielders of all time (in my opinion), I think he needs a good, long look.

Shane

• Options
    EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Here's my two cents:

Biggio is in.
    Schilling is not.

And I think Roberto Alomar had a HOF career going, but completely lost his abilities the last few years and will simply end up in the group of players who were excellent, but just shy of HOF potential.

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    How about CC Sabathia? Like Beckett he is 27 years old. However, he has 100 wins versus Beckett's 73. I realize his post season no show doesn't help but he's young and piling up wins!
  • Options

<< <i>Here's my two cents:

Biggio is in.
    Schilling is not.

And I think Roberto Alomar had a HOF career going, but completely lost his abilities the last few years and will simply end up in the group of players who were excellent, but just shy of HOF potential. >>

Schilling will be one of those guys who makes it in via the Veterens committee unless he can hang on long enough to obtain 250 Wins. One of the best post season performers of his generation, he sacrified Wins playing in Philadelphia on very bad teams.

J
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    Eliminating the obvious 1st ballot guys like Clemens and Maddux and such, and anyone associated with steriods, I think this is the list up for debate:

1987 Larkin - IMO, not a chance.

1988 Biggio - IMO not a HOFer, but he'll get in because of the 3000 hits.

1988 R.Alomar - IMO, absolutely in. Good discussion of Alomar on these boards a few months ago.

1989 Curt Schilling - I think before 2007 he was borderline. The 2007 postseason put him over the top. He's in, barely.

1989 Smoltz - Absolutely in

1990 Bernie Williams - Not a chance. Like somebody already said, if Mattingly isn't in, neither is Bernie.

1990 Frank Thomas - Absolutely in

1991 Chipper Jones / Bagwell - I put them together because their numbers will be really similar when all is said and done. And their numbers are similar to Andre Dawson, who isn't in. I don't think these guys make it.

1991 Mussina - Career numbers get him close, but just seems he has been too mediocre for too long, never won 20 games. He's out.

1991 Pedro Martinez - Absolutely in

1991 Ivan Rodriguez - Absolutely in

1992 Jim Thome - Hard to picture a guy with 500 HRs not in the HOF, but if there is going to be anyone, Thome might be it. Personally, I wouldn't put him in, but he probably gets in, barely.

1992 Manny, piazza, mariano,trevor - I think all are in. I can't wait for Manny's induction speech.

1993 helton, jeter - No on Helton, Jeter is obviously in.

1995 vlad, andruw - Assuming Vlad continues this pace for another 3-4 years, he's in (not a guarantee since his body seems to be breaking down). A Jones has some work to do since his average is .263, although his defense gives him a shot.

1997 Ortiz - Career numbers will end up similar to Chipper/Bagwell/Dawson. Post-season exploits may get him over the hump, though. Right now I say he's on the outside looking in.

1998 magglio - No way.

1999 alfonso, matt holliday - it's early for both these guys, but I'm going to say no for both.

2000 cabrera, beckett, santana - If Cabrera can stay under 260 lbs, he should be in. Beckett and Santana will be in.

2001 ichiro, pujols - both locks

2002 mauer, wright - wright has a better shot than Mauer. way too early to tell, though
  • Options
    Blyleven and Kaat have so many more wins than Schilling (and for anyone who dares mentions Mussina) and they are not in.
  • Options
    jamesryanbelljamesryanbell Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭

<< <i>McGwire and Biggio will never see the hall. >>

No way on that one.

Biggio is a "for sure". Watch it happen. I'm that confident about it.
    -- Ryan Bell
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>Blyleven and Kaat have so many more wins than Schilling >>

Blyleven and Kaat also have so many more losses than Schilling.

Blyleven: 71 more wins, 104 more losses
    Kaat: 67 more wins, 91 more losses)
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,594 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blyleven belongs in the HOF, way overdue.

Biggio is a first ballot lock, too.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>
    Don't forget that the veterens committee usually ends up sending one of the players each year to the hall. Typically these players are well beyond voting eligibility, and have not been playing for maybe 30 years, so his list isn't half bad. >>

Veterans committee hasn't sent anyone since 2001. Santo is close, Torre should eventually be the first to make it as a combination of playing and managing. A good number of the players on the list won't make it. Biggio likely will

Hard to see any reason why Helton would be listed, but not Walker

Only one not yet mentioned that wouldn't be a poor selection is Kent. McGriff might come close, but is still doubtful
    Tom
  • Options
    If the Veteran's committee votes on Schilling it won't be for another 21 years!
  • Options

<< <i>Great thread!

I think Pedro is a definite....and i'm not a fan, but i think he was solid enough.

I think helton has a good chance....I agree with the concensus - bernie is out. i also think andruw is out as well.

Alomar and Larkin have no shot, imho.

puckett and boggs are missing on the list (they are in).

i agree with i-rod being in.

mussina, sheffield could make it if they keep accumulating, but as of now they are out. >>

Andruw out for sure? I don't think so...because of his age, he even has a shot at the all time HR record if he plays until his mid 40s....unless he goes to padres, his HR will dwindle. Even though he just came off a bad year (it happens), he just got his 9th gold glove. HE IS A SHOE-IN FIRST BALLOT HOFER....the only thing that could really hurt him if rumor of padres comes to fruition.
  • Options
    Biggio and Alomar get in IMO.

I don't think anyone has mentioned Jeff Kent. Unless he's named in the Mitchell Report...

Currently,

.290 BA
    365 HR
    1459 RBI
    2338 Hits

I think after another year or two he's in.
    The best pitch to start a hitter off with is always strike one.
  • Options
    TJMACTJMAC Posts: 864 ✭✭
    Jeff Kent should be in for sure. Not 1st ballot, but soon after that. Kent, Biggio and Alomar were the best 2nd basemen of their time. Besides, how many 2nd baseman win an MVP and drive in 100 RBI's 7 times in their career. I know he played in a hitters era, but he was an elite player at his position.

Pudge is 87th all time in hits and I believe has more hits then any other catcher. He pretty much hits for double digit homers every year and has an MVP and World Series ring. Also, he is probably the 3rd or 4th best defensive catcher ever. No way he should be left out.

Magglio Ordonez does not get in unless he has 5 more years like he had this year. I doubt that happens since he is already 33.

Some other guys who will be intertesting to watch are Beltran, Berkman and Soriano. All three have a shot at 500 home runs.

Thome should get in too with 500 home runs and a .281 career batting average. He should get 600.

An interesting case should be Fred McGriff. I always thought of him as a HOFer.

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Did we forget Manny?
  • Options
    Other people have mentioned Jeff Kent, so I wanted to throw my 2 cents in two.

Although he was bust with my team (The Mets) and seems to have had problems with the media, he should be in the HOF.

He has more HRs than any other 2nd baseman in history, plus an MVP, plus some other credentials.

Also, I think it's premature talking about anyone with less than 15 years. (Mattingly had 13 great years and that's it.)
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Not a guy who has done enough as of yet, but I do think Carlos Beltran will have a shot barring more injuries...
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    edit -- of course griffey was on there, my bad.